What's new

Apple to Use Stainless Steel for iPhone 8 Frame

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple switching to stainless steel chassis for iPhone 8.JPG

MacRumors writes that according to a new report from DigiTimes, Apple is planning to construct the chassis frame for the glass-encased iPhone 8 from forged stainless steel rather than the usual aluminum CNC crafting process.

The design for the next iPhone is expected to consist of two reinforced glass panes with a metal frame in the middle. It’s this middle frame that DigiTimes says will be constructed from stainless steel using a special forging process to make it stronger. This new method will replace the usual aluminum back cover.

DigiTimes’ Taiwanese sources from Apple’s upstream supply chain say that Foxconn and US-based firm Jabil will be sharing component orders.

Apple has used a similar stainless steel process before, for the iPhone 4s, which took the form of a “glass sandwich” chassis encased in a pair of CNC-machined steel bands.

This was replaced by aluminum in all subsequent iPhones up until the current iPhone 7, as it is more rigid and yet still lightweight.

The sources for this latest report say that the new forging process will be between 30% and 50% cheaper than the current process, but will have more stable quality control.

Source: Apple to Forge 'iPhone 8' Chassis Frame From Stainless Steel Instead of Aluminum

iPhone 8 concept: ConceptsiPhone

Good. I have never cared for Apple's use of aluminum. Dents and scratches so easily. I loved the durability of the iPhone4.
The 6 and 7's rounded edges hold up pretty well but the 5's sharp edges were an awful idea IMO.

The two reinforced glass panes sound promising. Looking forward to it already :D

I've found all of their phones to be sufficiently strong. I never understand it when people say they bent their phone. [emoji848]