What's new

Rumour: 2017 iPhone to Have All-Glass Casing, With Stainless Steel Casing for Premium Models

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
2017 iPhone could have all glass chasis and stainless steel frame for premium models.JPG

According to KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the jet black iPhone 7 model was responsible for around 35% of all sales for the iPhone 7, despite being only available for the 128GB and 256GB versions.

This has led Kuo to consider that with Apple’s first attempt at offering different design features based on capacity being such a success, it could lead Apple to do something similar with the 2017 iPhone. In particular, Kuo has told his investors that he thinks Apple will offer higher-capacity, more expensive iPhones with a new stainless steel frame, with the regular iPhone model having an all-glass casing minus the stainless steel.

“As all-glass casing is not possible at present given technological bottlenecks, a metal frame surrounding the edge is necessary for reinforced structure design,” said Kuo in his note to investors. “As stainless steel has a better look than aluminum and costs more, we expect only high-end new iPhone models to come with a stainless steel frame next year.”

Source: All 2017 iPhones likely to have glass casing, stainless steel edges may be limited to high-end models

I'm reminded of my iPhone 4s, which had glass on the front and back faces. I quite liked that design and hope Apple will someday return to it. But, I do agree that the sides should be something other than glass. Unless Apple uses a single piece of glass for the housing, aluminum seams always look better than glass seams.

I'm reminded of my iPhone 4s, which had glass on the front and back faces. I quite liked that design and hope Apple will someday return to it. But, I do agree that the sides should be something other than glass. Unless Apple uses a single piece of glass for the housing, aluminum seams always look better than glass seams.

I think you can look forward to an OLED screen that wraps around and covers both sides, and does away with the hardware buttons into the bargain.

I think you can look forward to an OLED screen that wraps around and covers both sides, and does away with the hardware buttons into the bargain.
Hmm.. if they're going to use OLED for the sides, then they're probably thinking about having controls/icons on the sides. That would seem to present two problems:
  • Privacy: Someone sitting next to you that can't quite see the front of the phone.. could possibly see the sides of the phone and thereby know a little more about what you're doing on your phone
  • Control: Using the sides for controls/icons would require the user to learn to hold the phone in a very different manner so as to not accidentally touch anything on the screen
I hope they keep these things in mind.

But, I could be over-thinking things here.

I assume any buttons built into an OLED screen would be connected to the Taptic Engine.