What's new

Apple May Discontinue The iPhone 5 After iPhone 5S and 5C Release

PhilSynowiec

iPhoneForums.net News Team
Reaction score
$Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 11.34.02 AM.jpg
As the days move closer to the all-but-confirmed September 10th Apple event, folks are speculating what the company's plan is for future devices. So far it looks like our favorite fruit company will be releasing the new flagship iPhone 5S, as well as a cheaper and off-contract iPhone 5C. The iPhone 5C is rumored to sport a polycarbonate plastic body with components from both iPhone 5 and iPod Touch. But what does this mean for other devices such as the iPhone 5 and the iPhone 4S?

According to a new note from KGI Securities Ming-Chi Kuo, the analyst suggests Apple will be dropping the iPhone 5 after Q3. Normally the company releases a new iPhone and then drops the price of the previous year's device. By Apple standards, the iPhone 5S would be offered for $199 and the iPhone 5 would drop to $99 with a 2 year contract. Due to the rumored release of the iPhone 5C, the analyst believes Apple will have a better time marketing both that and the iPhone 5S by "86-ing" the iPhone 5 with nearly the same design. However, the analyst believes Apple would keep the iPhone 4S at least until the end of the year to better shine light on the iPhone 5S.

Source: Apple To Ditch iPhone 5 In Favor Of iPhone 5C; iPhone 4S To Stay A Little Longer | Redmond Pie

I hope the jailbreak of iOS 7 brings a long awaited new interest and value to remaining with Apple. This has been a boring wait for hardware. software and jailbreaks that keep the fun alive in the Apple device family.
I am concerned that iPhone 5 will be dropped with iPhone 4S soon
to follow as 5C and 5S with iOS 7 comes center stage.
Where is the true news of the higher performance chip ? To keep us
committed. Some, myself included, continue to look outside Apple at what is new and to come from the rest of the industry. Young fresh minds are exploring ideas that may be beyond the capability of that which we have been holding hands with. Hope springs eternal. I feel the potential drag of waiting to long for a dance. Money does talk and speaks of lighter, stronger, faster, clearer, drier, smarter smartphones.
I will not drag my feet and wear down my heels while others speed to the front of invention without me. Speak up. Be heard. Learn the lesson that Blackberry taught.

I dont see apple forgetting the 5 so quickly after a new iphone release, would be very surprising if they did