What's new

Apple Maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jhighers said:
Hey skull what is the law google broke by app. I'm not asking to argue but to inform myself.

To further clarify I'm asking to read up it myself. If it does break law than does the web based also or just app. Does the web based version also collect data via locations?

I direct my anger at whoever removed the functionality on a device that I paid good money for.

I would like to point out something that many don't quite understand. We paid good money for the hardware and a license to use the software. We don't own the software, this is why we must agree to a EULA (End User License Agreement) before we can use it. We can do whatever we like with the hardware, except copy and distribute it of course. We cannot, however, do whatever we want with the software, it's copyright of Apple and it doesn't belong to us. Whenever we use a device we are at the mercy of those who actually own the property.

This is something that a lot of people don't quite understand when they say "I paid for it so I should be able to do whatever I want with it". This was one of the reasons for the creation of the copyright and patent systems.

Last edited:
We don't own the software
I know that, but at the same time a company can't break existing functionality for no valid reason. There are consumer laws against this sort of behaviour. Now, it's been pointed out to me that Apple may have been breaking the law somehow by using Google's maps, so the change had to be made. In that case, fair enough. But if no laws were being broken, a company (here in Australia at least) can't break what you paid for.

Frankly, I'm perfectly within my legal rights here in Australia to demand a refund and break my phone contract, since the device no longer operates in the manner that I paid for it. (Yes, I've checked with the Dept of Fair Trading, and that's their exact words). However, since maps is only a small overall part of the phone, I'm going to stick with it for now and hope that maps WILL get back to the original functionality that it had when I bought it; because I do love all other aspects of the iPhone.

As for privacy, there's nothing preposterous about me saying that I don't care about it. Do I have to live my life in the same manner as you? Just because you care, doesn't mean I have to. There's nothing private on my phone. Some contacts; some generic notes? For me: big deal. I couldn't care less if someone finds out my brother's phone number.

@SJ2571 -- you have expressed your views. None of us are able to resolve or rectify. Apple is the only one that can address your concerns. I suggest that you contact Apple and express your views and concerns.

This thread is closed!

Respectfully,

Mike

Administrator, iPhoneForums.net

I know that, but at the same time a company can't break existing functionality for no valid reason. There are consumer laws against this sort of behaviour. Now, it's been pointed out to me that Apple may have been breaking the law somehow by using Google's maps, so the change had to be made. In that case, fair enough. But if no laws were being broken, a company (here in Australia at least) can't break what you paid for.

Frankly, I'm perfectly within my legal rights here in Australia to demand a refund and break my phone contract, since the device no longer operates in the manner that I paid for it. (Yes, I've checked with the Dept of Fair Trading, and that's their exact words). However, since maps is only a small overall part of the phone, I'm going to stick with it for now and hope that maps WILL get back to the original functionality that it had when I bought it; because I do love all other aspects of the iPhone.

First off you need to learn to read better. I specifically stated that a Google map clone, submitted to the market after iOS 6 was deployed, was removed by Apple at Google's request. Not that Apple broke a law.

Second the Australian law you referenced will NOT allow you to get a refund nor break your phone contract. In fact you won't even make it past docket assignment because your suit will be thrown out for having no merit.

Your phone call was a waste because you gave the person you spoke to false and/or incomplete information. Maps is not considered a functional part of the phone. In fact the only apps that could be considered a functional part is Settings, Phone and Messages. Photo doesn't even qualify even though a camera is built in. Because it doesn't impede the use of device in its primary capacity as a phone.

And before you even try to use the PS3 ruling concerning "Other OS", be aware that Sony lost that case due to the failure of providing a functional replacement. Apple did provide a functional replacement as well as a direct front page access in the App Store to other suitable replacement apps.

BTW I have an advantage in this conversation. I actually know most of the US software laws. And a working knowledge of non-US software laws as well. Side effect of having to protect my livelihood as a software developer.

Status
Not open for further replies.