What's new

Apple iPhone4 Vs HTC EVO

Reaction score
:confused: Hi,
Thinking of buying the latest hi-fi mobile. But confused about the model.Can anybody compare and tell me what are the advantages of iPhone4 over EVO

I think the EVO is an awesome phone, the real problem is the network. Sprint just doesn't work well in some areas and 4G coverage is very limited. What phone are you using now? What carrier are with currently with?

its all down to what your tastes are, apple has a lot of down sides imo like telling you what you can and cannot install on your phone, that can be fixed by a jailbreak or no bluetooth send receive..

iPhone vs Droid | iPhone 4 vs HTC EVO 4G has some good comparisons but i think the best thing to do is to just go and check out both phones in person see what suits your needs and what feels better for you in the hand... or compare the specs.. and check

* 3G/4G capability
* Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ QSD8650 (1GHz) processor
* 4.3” capacitive display with pinch-to-zoom and tactile feedback
* World-class HTML browser – bandwidth and quality that rival that of netbooks
* Android 2.1, with access to more than 30,000 apps on Android Market
* GoogleTM mobile services including Google SearchTM, Google MapsTM, Google TalkTM, GmailTM, YouTubeTM , and syncs with Google CalendarTM
* Access to Google Goggles™ to search with pictures instead of words
* Sprint Navigation, with turn-by-turn driving directions and 3D maps
* Updated HTC Sense, award-winning user experience, which includes Friend Stream to integrate Facebook, Twitter and more into a single flow of updates
* Visual voicemail
* Messaging – personal and business email, IM and text messaging
* 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability – connects up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
* 4G data speeds (WiMAX) – peak download speeds of more than 10 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1 Mbps; average download speeds of 3-6 Mbps.
* 3G data speeds (EVDO Rev A.) – peak download speeds of up to 3.1 Mbps; peak upload speeds of 1.8 Mbps; average download speeds of 600 kbps-1.4 Mbps.
ENTERTAINMENT
* 8MP autofocus camera with dual LED flash and 1.3MP front-facing camera
* High-quality video streaming and downloads at 3G and 4G data speeds
* Capture and share HD-quality video (720p) from your phone
* Output pictures, slides and videos in HD quality (720p) via HDMI cable (sold separately)
* Live video sharing with Qik
* Built-in kickstand for hands-free viewing
* Media player with 3.5mm stereo headset jack
* FM radio and Amazon MP3 store
* Sprint applications including Sprint TV® and NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile(SM)
* Bluetooth® 2.1 with A2DP Stereo and EDR
* Built-in WiFi®: 802.11 b/g
* Digital compass, G-Sensor, proximity sensor, light sensor, GPS
* Expandable memory: 8GB microSD card included; supports up to 32GB
SPECIFICATIONS:
* Dimensions: 4.8″ x 2.6″ x .5″ (LxWxT)
* Weight: 6 ounces
* Main display: 4.3” WVGA (800×480) 65K colors
* Standard removable 1500mAh Lithium (Li-on) battery
* Memory: 1GB ROM, 512MB RAM
1 “Up to 10x faster” based on download speed comparison of 3G’s 600 kbps vs. 4G’s 6 Mbps. Industry published 3G avg. speeds (600 kbps-1.7 Mbps); 4G avg. speeds (3-6 Mbps). Actual speeds may vary. Sprint 4G currently available in over 25 markets and counting, and on select devices. See Sprint: First and Only Wireless 4G from a National Carrier for details. Not all services available on 4G and coverage may default to 3G/separate network where 4G unavailable.
Note: Device features, specifications, services and applications are subject to change.

and for the iphone 4

iPhone 4 Technical Specifications

Size and weight1

Height:115.2 mm (4.5 inches)Width:58.6 mm (2.31 inches)Depth:9.3 mm (0.37 inches)Weight:137 grams (4.8 ounces)
specs_dimensions_20100607.jpg
Mobile and wireless

• UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz)
  • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz)
  • Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
  • Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology

• Assisted GPS
  • Digital compass
  • Wi-Fi
  • Mobile
Power and battery2

• Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
  • Charging via USB to computer system or power adapter
  • Talk time:up to 7 hours on 3Gup to 14 hours on 2G
  • Standby time: up to 300 hours
  • specs_battery20080609.jpg
    Internet use:up to 6 hours on 3Gup to 10 hours on Wi-Fi
  • Video playback: up to 10 hours
  • Audio playback: up to 40 hours
Mac system requirements

• Mac computer with USB 2.0 port
  • Mac OS X v10.5.8 or later
  • iTunes 9.2 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/uk/download)
  • iTunes Store account
  • Internet access
Windows system requirements

• PC with USB 2.0 port
  • Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
  • iTunes 9.2 or later (free download from www.itunes.com/uk/download)
  • iTunes Store account
  • Internet access
Environmental requirements

• Operating temperature: 0° to 35° C
    (32° to 95° F)
  • Non-operating temperature: -20° to 45° C
    (-4° to 113° F)
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 95% non-condensing
  • Maximum operating altitude: 3000m (10,000 feet)

Capacity3

• 16GB or 32GB flash drive
Colour

• White or black
specs_colors_20100607.jpg
Display

• Retina display
  • 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
  • 960x640-pixel resolution at 326 ppi
  • 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating front and back
  • Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
specs_display_20100607.jpg
Audio playback

• Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
  • Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
  • User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and video

• Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5Mbps, 640x480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35Mbps, 1280x720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
  • Support for 1024x768 pixels with Dock Connector to VGA Adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Component AV Cable; 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable
specs_video_20100607.jpg
Up is available on iTunes. Up © Disney/Pixar. All rights reserved.
Languages

• Language support for English (US), English (UK), French (France), German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Hungarian, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, Croatian, Catalan and Vietnamese
  • Keyboard support for English (US), English (UK), French (France), French (Canada), French (Switzerland), German, Traditional Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin, Zhuyin, Cangjie, Wubihua), Simplified Chinese (Handwriting, Pinyin, Wubihua), Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese (Romaji), Japanese (Kana), Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Estonian, Hungarian, Icelandic, Lithuanian, Latvian, Flemish, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, Croatian, Bulgarian, Serbian (Cyrillic/Latin), Catalan and Vietnamese
  • Dictionary support (enables predictive text and autocorrect) for English (US), English (UK), French, German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese (Romaji), Japanese (Kana), Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Lithuanian, Hungarian, Flemish, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malaysian, Romanian, Slovak, Croatian, Catalan and Vietnamese

Camera, photos and video

specs_camera_20100607.jpg

• Video recording, HD (720p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
  • 5-megapixel still camera
  • VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second with the front camera
  • Tap to focus video or still images
  • LED flash
  • Photo and video geotagging
External buttons and controls

• Sleep/wake
  • Ring/silent
  • Volume up/down
  • Home
specs_controls_20100607.jpg
Sensors

• 3-axis gyro
  • Accelerometer
  • Proximity sensor
  • Ambient light sensor
Connectors and input/output

• 30-pin dock connector
  • 3.5-mm stereo headphone mini-jack
  • Built-in speaker
  • Microphone
  • Micro-SIM card tray
specs_connectors_20100607.jpg
Headphones

specs_headphones20080609.jpg

• Stereo earphones with built-in microphone
  • Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
  • Impedance: 32 ohms
In the box

specs-box-20100607.jpg

• iPhone 4
  • Stereo Headset with mic
  • Dock Connector to USB Cable
  • USB Power Adapter
  • Documentation
Environmental Status Report

iPhone 4 embodies Apple’s continuing environmental progress. It is designed with the following features to reduce environmental impact:

• PVC-free handset
  • PVC-free headphones
  • PVC-free USB cable
  • Bromine-free printed circuit boards
  • Mercury-free LCD display
  • Arsenic-free display glass
  • Majority of packaging made from post-consumer recycled fibreboard and bio-based materials
  • Power adapter outperforms strictest global energy-efficiency standards

Mail attachment support

• Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

Both phones are unquestionably the most highly spec-ed phones in the market and you won't be wronged with going with either.

Assuming that you get good coverage with Sprint (here in MA, we don't), the choice really comes down to two simple facts; if you want better experience you want the iphone but if you want more experience, EVO is your answer.

i was told htc are very un reliable before when i wanted to get the nexus one

Hi all,
Thanks a lot for all the information. Hope I will be able to take the decision soon :)

HTC evo is pretty much the HTC HD2 (from t-mobile) with a few tweaks, ect.
Nonetheless, both phones are great but I'm going with iphone here.

No choice here due to no Sprint coverage so I choose the I phone over verizons android offerings because it is easier for us non tech types to use(my opinion anyway).

I own an iPhone 4, and I know at least three people that have an HTC EVO.

I was a former Sprint customer; and honestly I was iffy about leaving Sprint as they have AMAZING coverage where I live and I was loving the all-inclusive Everything Data plan. But....was on the fence about getting the EVO and suffering through yet another HTC product (HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero) then after I heard of numerous issues (30fps cap, camera quality, UI sluggish even with the Snapdragon, build quality issues) and dropped everything and switched over to the iPhone 4. I've never owned an iPhone before but I knew what to expect as I had a 2G iPod touch.

I've gotten a full day to try out an HTC EVO, and I got a crippled version of what I was expecting. Poor graphics performance (HTC cheaping out on GPU drivers, hardware limitation, who knows) choppy UI and web browsing, lack of application options, and an overall rough experience. I would say it's not much of a step up from my Sprint HTC Hero that I had last other than the camera and screen. The 30fps cap on this device is the ultimate deal breaker. How could you cripple such an amazingly speced phone with a ridiculous limitation that will hinder the UI experience and Android gaming, which will become more prevalent with many iPhone games being ported over as we speak? Speaking of gaming, the touch screen drivers are also poorly implemented. There is a .5 - .75 second lag between your actual input and the response... making action gaming virtually impossible. The camera image quality is very good. However, the contrast level and saturation on the images taken are far too low by default and even the user adjustables didn't help much. The iPhone, to be fair, has zero adjustables, but it doesn't need them. Do I sound biased? No, the iPhone 4 is the better overall device.

Now the iPhone 4 - First time I fired up the phone, I was in awe. The colors and images just pop off the screen like they are straight out of a demo image of the phone. Fire up the camera, the image quality is amazing. For casual point and shoot guys, it is perfect other than the fact that all the images and videos are full size, so they will eat storage up real quick if you don't move them. Converted some 1080p movies to native iPhone 4 res and fired them up, it was ridiculous. The smaller screen size is a tradeoff I will live with for the image quality I experienced. I had brightness close to maxed out with no auto-adjustment, and after 7 hours of non-stop fiddling and data use, it finally hit below 10% on the indicator. Considering it was non-stop usage, this is amazing. Now, I am not a fan of AT&T price plans however. The 450 rollover plan is fair for my use, however I could not find a data plan or texting plan that fit my needs. I generally use about 500-800MB of network data on my HTC Hero with some occasional wireless tethering, and send around 600-700 SMS, and AT&T's plans were either too little or too much, forcing me to go higher.

I did go down to a 200 SMS plan temporarily as the Google Voice / voicecentral combo with push e-mail alerts worked very well thanks to a recommendation from a friend with an iPhone. Personally I think it's a hassle, and time will tell if I want to fork over the extra $10.00 a month for the 1500 SMS plan.

HTC EVO 4G
Pros:
+Screen Size
+Unrestricted operating system
+Sprint price plans
Cons:
-UI interface buggy, choppy, slow.
-Even with the higher MP count, the iPhone 4 takes better pictures.
-Battery life abysmal if not properly managed

iPhone 4:
Pros:
+High PPI density, amazing clarity
+Silky smooth user-friendly UI
+more versatile with app store, just as versatile as Android with jailbreak
+Camera quality is far superior
+Battery life is amazing for a phone of this type
+Undisputed gamer's phone of choice

Cons:
-Lack of customization and options for stock Apple applications (no camera resolution options to conserve storage?)
-No Adobe Flash
-AT&T data plans

Summary:
The HTC EVO 4G would have been the ultimate iPhone killer, if designed by anyone other than HTC. Granted, xda-developers will more than likely address some of the shortcomings of the device with custom ROMs and hacks, but for an out-of-the-box solution, it won't ever be the near-perfect user experience the iPhone 4 is. A ridiculous 30fps cap, miserable memory management, poorly implemented drivers for touch screen, camera, and even that bloated SenseUI overlay causes this to be yet another device that stepped up to the plate and struck out swinging.

themyst: Excellent comparison. You are awarded 3 internets.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac[/ame]

BAD LANGUAGE but explains it :) iPhone wins lol

I've been a long time Blackberry user, having had 7 or more Blackberries in the last 4 years or so. I've had an opportunity to do some testing of different platforms for work and have been using an Evo and iPhone 4 for a few weeks now - gotta say it's a bit weird walking around with 3 smartphones at any given moment. I've also been an iPad user since the day they were released so I've had some ongoing experience with iOS.

I consider myself to be fairly unbiased though I do really like all the Apple products I've used including my personal Macbook Pro, 3rd gen iPod Nano, and iPad.

Anyway, I've made some observations about all the devices I've used, and thought I'd share my thoughts on the Evo vs iPhone converstation.

The display of the iPhone 4 is beautiful. I was really impressed with the display on the Evo, which is also awesome, and then I picked up the iPhone and was amazed that something was even nicer than the Evo.

I definitely have found better coverage on Sprint in all the areas I've travelled, including northern Indiana, southern Michigan, Chicago, and Las Vegas. Some areas I've found that the iPhone didn't even get 3G service. The Blackberry I presently use (a 9650 Bold) on Verizon is consistently getting the best coverage.

I haven't found much difference in 3G speeds from AT&T to Sprint to Verizon in the areas I've had 3G service. Sprints 4G service has been great in the places I've made use of it, providing up to 19MB/s and generally 5MB/s by my personal testing. If I was going to use a device for tethering this would be awesome.

As far as applications go, nothing can compare to the Apple app store but I've found many of my favorite apps available on the Android Market. Poynt, Endomondo, Facebook, Tango, Mint, Urban Spoon, 1Password to name a few.

I've found the navigation that's built into the Evo to be better - I liked using the walking navigation as I wandered around Las Vegas and if the iPhone stuff that is available from AT&T for $10 a month or whatever it is does that, I couldn't find how to switch from driving to walking. That brings up the other thing, the price.... the Evo navigation is built in and free as part of the OS. The software is otherwise very comparable but I was impressed to see that it was included with the Evo.

I notice that I get fairly comparable battery life from both devices, and while I notice that the Evo has a removable battery that I can swap out, I don't ever carry a spare so that's moot to me. Both are easily charged by 110V charger, USB, or car charger and that works for me.... speaking of, both will go dead FAST using navigation so I consider a car charger a necessity for either if using navigation.

The big thing I see being a benefit of the Android OS is the ability to use widgets. While I can easily launch apps on the iPhone by pressing their icon, and can switch from app to app with the multitasking functionality, the Android lets me run small apps on each of the screens so I can get weather updates, flick switches to turn on or off wifi, gps, airplane mode, etc, or can have a screen filled with news feeds from Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr updates all integrated into one panel. I'd love to see the ability to use widgets added to iOS.... it's the strongest benefit to the Android OS I see overall.

The cameras are both great... love the HDR capacity of the iPhone but the Evo takes equally great pics... and it has a comparable Front Facing Camera..... I did find an app (Tango) that will let you use that front facing camera to talk to others and it supports iOS and Android so you can get the equivalent of Facetime on the Android phones and even talk to iPhone owners... thought it was great :)

As is most of this, I have another subjective observation.... that is that the Evo feels more abusable.... I guess what I mean is that as I hold the iPhone I feel fearful of dropping it. I just envision it shattering into pieces as if I dropped a saucer. I've dropped the Evo once onto asphalt and it has a bit of road rash but I was thinking, "Oh crap, I'm gonna scratch my new phone" as opposed to "oh crap, my new phone is going to shatter." That's not to say that I know the iPhone is that fragile, but just to say that as I hold it, I don't expect it to take a drop as well as the Evo. I'd hate to drop any new device but my untested opinion is that the Evo might take more abuse. On the same note though, I think the iPhone looks like it would hold up better to getting tossed around in a pocket with keys... it looks more scratch resistant.... again an untested theory as I don't want to harm a hair on the head of any of my devices :)

I have a heck of a time typing on either. I still like the physical keyboard on my Blackberry the best although I can't think of a single other thing that it does better than text input. I do like that there are third party keyboard apps for the Evo and they seem to be promising but I still like the physical keyboard.

Ultimately, I don't think I really prefer one device to the other - they are both awesome and have a bit of a different feature set but basically do the same thing. To me the Evo makes more sense because I've had a lot of Edge only coverage with the iPhone in the areas I frequent. Another point for Android in general though is that it's available on all carriers in some form or another so regardless of which carrier is best for your area, family and friend free calling plan, etc, you can find an Android device to use. I intend to continue using both (and also using my Blackberry) at the same time for a while but I've been using them all long enough to really have a decent idea of what I like about them.

Just my 2 cents :)

Bryan

Hi the Evo is nice but it huge for a mobile. Also Sprint in my area is not consistent coverage.

One thing I hope Apple will do... There seems to be enough room to make the display/screen larger without making the device larger. I like the size-ability of the iPhone but in my opinion there is enough room to have a larger screen. Maybe close to 1/2 inch larger.

As far as os I much prefer iOS. It's more polished.

Marc