What's new

Apple iPad Pro Full Specs and Features

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
iPad Pro announcement.JPG

"The biggest news in iPad since the iPad!" With those words at Apple's special event in San Francisco today, Apple CEOTim Cook finally confirmed the iPad Pro, before handing over to Phil Schiller to talk about Apple's new tablet.

Schiller revealed that the iPad Pro has a 12.9-inch, 2,732 x 2,048-pixel display, with Schiller showing how the iPad Pro is exactly as wide as the iPad Air is tall. The screen will have the same 4:3 aspect ratio, and exactly the same pixel density as the iPad Air.

It really brings it home to you just how big the iPad Pro is when you see that the tablet’s on-screen keyboard is full laptop size.

The next part of the presentation showed how the larger iPad is ideally suited for multitasking apps side-by-side with the new multitasking features of iOS 9.

A9X chip.JPG

The new iPad Pro is powered by Apple’s new A9X system on a chip, which boasts double the memory bandwidth and graphics performance of the iPad Air 2’s A8X chip. According to Apple, this new chip is faster than 80% of portable PCs that have been sold in the last year. But despite this incredible leap in processing power, Apple says that the iPad Pro will be able to run for 10 hours without charging.

As far as vital statistics are concerned, the Pro is just 6.9mm thin, and weighs just 1.57 pounds.

Aside from all the innovation of the new tablet, there are also many familiar iPad features, including a front-facing FaceTime camera and an 8-megapixel iSight camera on the back, as well as a home button with Touch ID built in.

The iPad Pro will be available in silver, gold, and space grey. As far as price is concerned, the entry-level 32GB Wi-Fi-only version will cost $799, the 128GB Wi-Fi-only version will cost $949, and the LTE 128GB model will set you back $1079.

Because the iPad Pro is very much aimed at the professional user, Apple also announced two key accessories to go with the new tablet, the Apple Pencil stylus and Smart Keyboard.

The Apple Pencil stylus has pressure sensitivity, so if you press down harder on it, it will respond with a thicker or darker stroke. And in order to record your strokes as accurately as possible, the iPad Pro display will refresh at double the speed as normal. You can also use the Pencil simultaneously with your finger, giving you even more control and finesse. The Apple Pencil has a Lightning connector so that you can charge it via the iPad Pro while you work.

Pencil.JPG

The Smart Keyboard connects to the iPad Pro via the new Smart Connector port on the side of the tablet, which provides power as well as data to the keyboard. The keyboard has a full QWERTY keys layout, with each key using the same butterfly technology as the 12-inch Macbook.

Smart Keyboard.JPG

The Apple Pencil stylus and Smart Keyboard will both launch in November, with the Smart Keyboard costing $169 and the Pencil $99.

“iPad Pro is the most advanced and powerful iPad we have ever made. Its beautiful and large 12.9-inch Retina display has 5.6 million pixels and provides an immersive experience for content and apps. The iPad Pro is far and away the fastest iOS device we have ever made — its A9X chip beats most portable PCs in both CPU and graphics tasks, but is thin and light enough to hold all day,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “The innovative Apple Pencil and new Smart Keyboard enable users to customize their iPad Pro experience to the particular apps they use and the work they do, making iPad Pro ideal for everything from professional productivity to advanced 3D design.”

iPad Pro starts at $799 (US) for the 32GB with Wi-Fi model and $1079 (US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular 128GB model, comes in three gorgeous metallic finishes including silver, gold and space gray and will be available starting in November from Apple.com, Apple’s retail stores, through select carriers and Apple Authorized Resellers. For more information, please visit www.apple.com/ipad.

Source: Apple, Engadget | Technology news, advice and features

Attachments

• A9X chip.JPG
    A9X chip.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:

So there isn't going to be an iPad Air 3.

So there isn't going to be an iPad Air 3.
Not at this time, it seems. From the tone of the keynote, Apple considers the new iPad Pro to be the new flagship iPad. I'm sure we'll see an updated iPad Air 2 but we'll have to wait for an unknown length of time.

Not at this time, it seems. From the tone of the keynote, Apple considers the new iPad Pro to be the new flagship iPad. I'm sure we'll see an updated iPad Air 2 but we'll have to wait for an unknown length of time.
I was all set to buy the iPad 3, It didnt occur to me that there wouldn't be one.

I was all set to buy the iPad 3, It didnt occur to me that there wouldn't be one.
It's always been a waiting game with Apple. All we can do right now is play the old wait and see game to see if Apple updates the iPad Air 2.

It's always been a waiting game with Apple. All we can do right now is play the old wait and see game to see if Apple updates the iPad Air 2.
Yes, As you say they probably will.
They have surprised us this year I think.

Did you notice that they merely mentioned the new iPad mini 4, without talking about it at all?

Yes, As you say they probably will.
They have surprised us this year I think.
They certainly surprised us. A lot of the new features weren't even hinted about in the rumours that have been circulating for months. I think Apple did a very good job keeping the most important features under wraps.

They certainly surprised us. A lot of the new features weren't even hinted about in the rumours that have been circulating for months. I think Apple did a very good job keeping the most important features under wraps.
Yes you're right, No mention of Live Photo got out, That's a real head Turner.

Anyone know if the iPad pro/apple Pencil combination will have good palm rejection? All the demo videos I have seen the pencil holders were keeping their hands about 3 inches off the screen. That would be a show stopper for me, I just can't write that way.