What's new

Apple ID

azonie

Reaction score
I am upgrading to iPhone 5 and wife will take over the iPhone 4. Do want to use same Apple ID or separate one.

What are advantages and disadvantages of same ID?

I always say seperate id is the way to go if not iCloud can get real confused and it'll keep trying to share each others things back and forth like contacts and music and apps

I have iPhone 4 and iPad on same ID. And not having any issues with iCloud so far. Other than turned reminder on iPad so reminder I use at office don't go to iPad.
I have a lot more apps on iPhone and iCloud has not tried to put on iPad.

I will keep checking back as looking for opinions.

It makes sense if devices yOu are using are all yours but I know many of people who share apple IDs with siblings an it
Causes a lot of problems in the long run

My wife and I share one apple id but also each have a separate one. The shared one has contacts calendar and reminders while our own has everything else. Then in contacts I made a group for each of us. So now we each only see the numbers we want but have them all just in case.
This arrangement has work well for us. Also allows sharing of apps.

Wow here is a possible issue. Haven't even set up wife's iPhone yet and today got iCloud email saying I have almost reached my capacity of 5GB at 4.6 GB.

And this must be because my iPhone 4 backup is there and now I have everything on iPhone 5 ( which is a copy), so that doubled my storage.

So the debate do I set wife up with separate ID.

Right now photos on iPhone to to iPad through photo stream. I like that.

If I set up new one for wife assume app that are on that phone under my ID will remain on phone??

If so what will happened to updates for that ID?

When she puts something on her calendar will it also go to mine if we stay on same ID?

Think I am going to use separate I'd, which I set up in iCloud. But how do u switch the wife's phone from my ID that was set up in phone to the new one I have set up for her.

Then would also like to change iPad
Apple ID to same as one on wife's
iPhone.

And really don't want to have to delete what is now on her iPhone or the iPad.

Last edited:
You should be able the delete the apple id and enter a new one into the phone to change it. Not sure if it will delete stuff. And to answer another question yes when I enter stuff into the calendar it shows up on the others phone. Some may not like that but we like having a "merged" calendar and contact list.

I deleted the ID on phone by tapping delete account and then logged in with new account. Some said I would have to leave iTunes mine to be able to update apps. But didn't.