What's new

Apple Care Warranty Experience?

JLangevin

Reaction score
So I have an iPhone 5 that has been acting up a little bit. Its not even 2 months old yet but there is a catch...

The phone was dropped about 2 ft, and has a small dent on the top. The glass is in tact, and the dent isnt even that bad, but my issues Ive been having have been around for a little bit before i dropped the phone. Im worried that they may not want to warranty the phone since there is some minor physical damage to the device.

Does anyone know how stingy Apple may be? The issues are...

*Freezing if the screen which requires that both buttons be held for a hard reboot.
*First 2-3 seconds of a phone call, the other caller cannot hear me
*Scrolling seems to be glitchy. Some touches arent registered
*My sounds and notification like to reset themselves back to the factory default sounds. This has happened 2 times in the past 2 weeks

I have an iPhone 4 and 4S which never had any of these issues which is leading me to think that I have a bad phone. Ive already done a restore as well as scratch reset of the phone with the same issues (no icloud sync to ensure the problem isnt redownloaded with a previous backup)

Here is a photo of the damage that I am worried will prevent software covereage. Of course its that one time Im not using my case where I miss my pocket... hand eye coordination FTL. Ive just been too busy to get to the Apple Store before now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8242723228_cb3ae46572_z.jpg

JLangevin said:
So I have an iPhone 5 that has been acting up a little bit. Its not even 2 months old yet but there is a catch...

The phone was dropped about 2 ft, and has a small dent on the top. The glass is in tact, and the dent isnt even that bad, but my issues Ive been having have been around for a little bit before i dropped the phone. Im worried that they may not want to warranty the phone since there is some minor physical damage to the device.

Does anyone know how stingy Apple may be? The issues are...

*Freezing if the screen which requires that both buttons be held for a hard reboot.
*First 2-3 seconds of a phone call, the other caller cannot hear me
*Scrolling seems to be glitchy. Some touches arent registered
*My sounds and notification like to reset themselves back to the factory default sounds. This has happened 2 times in the past 2 weeks

I have an iPhone 4 and 4S which never had any of these issues which is leading me to think that I have a bad phone. Ive already done a restore as well as scratch reset of the phone with the same issues (no icloud sync to ensure the problem isnt redownloaded with a previous backup)

Here is a photo of the damage that I am worried will prevent software covereage. Of course its that one time Im not using my case where I miss my pocket... hand eye coordination FTL. Ive just been too busy to get to the Apple Store before now.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8065/8242723228_cb3ae46572_z.jpg

If you have a standard AppleCare policy, accidental damage of any kind is not covered. If you have AppleCare+, you are covered for up to two incidents of accidental damage over the life of the policy subject to a $49.00 deductible each time.
If you can, back up your iPhone with iTunes on your computer. You Can store any documents and data in iCloud. Do this before taking your iPhone to the AppleStore. If you're covered by AppleCare+, you will receive a replacement on the spot, if your model is in stock.

Last edited:
It never hurts to actually go to the Apple store and see if they'll help you.
Most of Apple store employees are real friendly and are very willing to help if your nice enough to them. :)

If you have a standard AppleCare policy, accidental damage of any kind is not covered. If you have AppleCare+, you are covered for up to two incidents of accidental damage over the life of the policy subject to a $49.00 deductible each time.
If you can, back up your iPhone with iTunes on your computer. You Can store any documents and data in iCloud. Do this before taking your iPhone to the AppleStore. If you're covered by AppleCare+, you will receive a replacement on the spot, if your model is in stock.

I believe you missed the entire question I was asking. I did not ask if they would repair the damage or replace it BECAUSE of the damage. I was asking if they would NOT replace the phone for the software issues I am experiencing BECAUSE of the damage that happened BEFORE I could get to the apple store.

Anyway, i decided to take Darkstar2007's advice and made a GeniusBar appointment for tomorrow and will see what they have to say.

I believe you missed the entire question I was asking. I did not ask if they would repair the damage or replace it BECAUSE of the damage. I was asking if they would NOT replace the phone for the software issues I am experiencing BECAUSE of the damage that happened BEFORE I could get to the apple store.

Anyway, i decided to take Darkstar2007's advice and made a GeniusBar appointment for tomorrow and will see what they have to say.

Let us know what happens! :)

They will check it out in my hometown apple store you have to make the phone do what's messed up with it if you don't then they won't replace I'd say go check it out

Well I went to the Apple store last night. Of course, the phone was NOT exhibiting any of the issues that is was that I was mentioning. When I was sitting at the Genius Bar waiting for my appointment, I got the silver apple restart, but nothing when he was looking at it. HOWEVER, he took my word for it, didnt care aboutt he dented corner whatsoever and even threw in a replacement sync cable since mine was starting to tear a little on the charger end (which i didnt even notice).

I was in and out with a brand new phone in less that 15min.

My husband is on iPhone 4S #3 and it was an in, they plugged it in, cam back, swapped them out and we were done. 30mins max.

~iPhoneMommy~

Sent from my Black, 16GB, iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.

Well I went to the Apple store last night. Of course, the phone was NOT exhibiting any of the issues that is was that I was mentioning. When I was sitting at the Genius Bar waiting for my appointment, I got the silver apple restart, but nothing when he was looking at it. HOWEVER, he took my word for it, didnt care aboutt he dented corner whatsoever and even threw in a replacement sync cable since mine was starting to tear a little on the charger end (which i didnt even notice).

I was in and out with a brand new phone in less that 15min.

Glad to hear they fixed you up right. :)