What's new

Apple Card

Moparherb

Reaction score
This question probably doesn’t belong here but here it is anyway, please forgive my ignorance on this issue. If I lock my Apple Card on my iphone does that also mean I cannot use it on my phone. I originally thought that locking the card just kept it from being used at a physical terminal, but I would still be able to use the Apple Card on my phone. I hope I explained this correctly. Thanks to anyone who helps.

Locking a credit or debit card means it can’t be used anywhere for purchases, online or in person. Pre-authorized transactions will continue. Locking the card is meant as a way to stop someone from using a lost or stolen card or when you know you won’t be using it for a while. You can unlock the card at any time.

scifan57; thank you for your input. I know that if I lock the card the physical card cannot be used, but can I still use the Apple Card from my iPhone to make a purchase? It looks like I can. Because after locking the card if I double click the side button I can still choose the Apple Card and after ID it tells me to hold it to the reader. Which would indicate that way of using the card still works. Just the physical card is disabled.

I have used Apple Pay many times but not with the Apple Card. Most of the time I use my debit card.

I have used Apple Pay many times but not with the Apple Card. Most of the time I use my debit card.
Have you done it after blocking your credit and debit cards? The info I found says blocking the card will also block Apple Pay until the block is removed.

scifan57; thank you for your input. I know that if I lock the card the physical card cannot be used, but can I still use the Apple Card from my iPhone to make a purchase? It looks like I can. Because after locking the card if I double click the side button I can still choose the Apple Card and after ID it tells me to hold it to the reader. Which would indicate that way of using the card still works. Just the physical card is disabled.[/QUOTEIt may very well reject the transaction during the processing part of the transaction. So you click on it and think it will work but it is going to be declined. I would call your credit card provider and ask them.

I’m not sure this is the final voice on this issue but....today I called Apple Card support. The person, who claimed to be an expert, said that by selecting “Lock Card” on the iPhone only locks the physical card (titanium edition). I will still be able to use the Apple Card in the Wallet app for purchases. This weekend I’m going to try and make a purchase using Apple Pay and see if it works. Thanks to all that helped.

Well I discovered that the expert at Apple Card support is not an expert at all. Tonight I took my son and his significant other out for a nice dinner. When I tried to use the Apple Card in my wallet app the transaction was denied. Soooo if you lock the card it will not work in the wallet app. I had other cards but I was experimenting to finally end the speculation. Job done.

Well I discovered that the expert at Apple Card support is not an expert at all. Tonight I took my son and his significant other out for a nice dinner. When I tried to use the Apple Card in my wallet app the transaction was denied. Soooo if you lock the card it will not work in the wallet app. I had other cards but I was experimenting to finally end the speculation. Job done.

There was no speculation, that is exactly what scifan57 told you in response to your original question.

Well, I did tell you I thought it would reject the transaction at the time it was actually made and Scifan57 was fairly decisive in his explanation to you. Glad you had other cards on you to avoid embarrassment.