What's new

Apple Pay issue

Moparherb

Reaction score
Not really positive this is an issue but it is inconvenient. This week I added a long standing debit card to my Apple Pay account. A local bank that I have done business with for years but a little slow at getting on the Apple Pay bandwagon. My first inconvenient was that in order for Apple to allow the card I had to call a debit card phone number at my bank locally. The girl waved her magic wand and walla the card is on my phone. Today I attempted to use the card at a Apple Pay teller screen. The first thing it did was ask me for a “passcode” which I found out is the passcode to my phone. After I entered that it asked me for a pin, which is the pin for this debit card. Seems like a lot of hoops to go thru. Is it just this card and this particular bank or is this the new normal. It’s almost easier to pull the card out of my wallet and put it in the chip reader. Then no questions are asked. My Apple Card does not asked these questions, at least I don’t think so. Any advise appreciated.

I may have discovered the reason the phone ask for my passcode. I was in a retail store (pharmacy) and in New York State it is mandated that you wear a mask. I believe that prevented the facial recognition software from working, thus the need to enter my passcode. Just another issue with COVID. I would imagine that the bank is the one that insists on a PIN number be entered. Not a big deal, so I’ll go on with life and not worry about it.

Debit Cards always require PIN numbers to be used. Even when they added a chip, my debit card requires a pin. My debit card has been on Apple Wallet since almost the beginning, back when it was Passbook, so this isn’t newness or due to Covid. My credit cards do not require a PIN in Wallet. I do not use Face ID, I use my fingerprint.

The PIN I understand it was the passcode that kind of baffled me, but after I stopped to remember I’m always wearing a mask when I’m at a retail location the need for the “passcode” became obvious. I use facial ID.