What's new

Apple Asks Federal Government....

skweekymagee

Reaction score
As I'm sure most of you have seen by now, Apple has asked the U.S. Federal Government to help stop Jailbreaking. We know that recently jailbreaking has been declared legal but now Apple, obviously seeking to reverse that ruling, is asking for Gov't help to stop it. Personally I think it sucks. I'll admit many of the jailbreak features I use are purely for customization type things (which I believe I should be allowed to do as a default!) but there are a few that truly make the iphone better, plain and simple. A few examples would be BiteSMS for one. After using it, the factory SMS app looks kind of unfinished and very lacking. Anyone who has and uses BiteSMS I'm sure understands what I mean by that. InfiniFolders or FolderEnhancer is another great app that lets the iphone operate how I believe it should from the factory. So, what's your thoughts on this move by Apple?

One thing I want to ad, I don't use my jailbreak with Installous or steal any apps from the app store. I think that's really the only thing Apple should be concerned with as far as this goes.

Cracked apps is the main thing apple go on about when trying to stop jailbreaking. If it wasn't for that I don't think they would have any reason (from the governments point of view) to stop it.

It's my phone. If I want to make it look different or have stuff on it that apple hasn't approved for their app store then I will....

It's my phone. If I want to make it look different or have stuff on it that apple hasn't approved for their app store then I will....

Exactly. You pay top dollar to have it, pay out the ass to use it, why not make it yours? Apple is just getting WAY too greedy. If the App store offered a better variety of apps to customize your phone, then there would be no need to jailbreak a phone.

Cracked apps is the main thing apple go on about when trying to stop jailbreaking. If it wasn't for that I don't think they would have any reason (from the governments point of view) to stop it.

I understand about the cracked apps but from the articles I've read Apple is saying,

"Current jailbreak technologies now in widespread use utilize unauthorized modifications to the copyrighted bootloader and operating system, resulting in the infringement of the copyrights in those programs"

According to that it's much more they are concerned with. When it was ruled legal to jailbreak, while they may not have liked it, it seemed they accepted it, but now with Sony suing GeoHot for the PS3 jailbreak all of a sudden Apple is back to crying.

I agree it's my phone and I'll do what I want with it too. I got my phone and jailbroke shortly before it was "legal".

Something that pisses me off is, IF you jailbreak it and something happens to it, you have to restore it before you can take it to either Apple, AT&T or now Verizon. Why can't they just fix it as is? You haven't "modified" anything vital in the phone, just tweaked some stuff. It's not like you deleted the operating system and installed a new one.

even the razr let people install themes why cant we do it with a $600-$700 phone? apple wont even allow themes unless its jailbreak.

even the razr let people install themes why cant we do it with a $600-$700 phone? apple wont even allow themes unless its jailbreak.

Exactly. If I could install some themes, and possibly BiteSMS without a jailbreak, I'd really have no reason to jailbreak my phone.

I would be very suprised if they won this.. but hell with Steve Jobs who knows whats gonna happen!

this is stupid. how come apple wants to control the iphones but dont have an inkling towards their computers?

this is stupid. how come apple wants to control the iphones but dont have an inkling towards their computers?

In a way they do. Unlike a PC you can't easily replace anything yourself and as good as they may be, there aren't many options. You pay the high price or higher price and if it's more then you'll ever need too bad, because it IS what you need because Apple said so.

well the way i see it, i bought the damn thing, its mine, anything on it is mine to do with how i please. if i want to modify or alter it, should be my business, since it was purchased, apple should have no interest in it

I bought thia phone 3 weeks ago and still havent got a chance to jailbreak it yet...

So if its true that GeoHot is being sued by sony, could this be why there isnt a jailbreak for 4.2.1 yet?

There was a jailbreak for the 4.3 beta less than 24 hours after it was released...