What's new

Apple already has CDMA Verizon Compatible iPhone

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
verizon-iphone4-cdma.jpg

BGR posted a recent article which quotes The Loop's Jim Dalrymple as saying that Apple already has a Verizon compatible (CDMA) iPhone laying around. The problem is that they need to negotiate a deal with Verizon.

This would not be unusual for Apple to design hardware (or software) in advance an anticipation of a release, even if it never sees the light of day. They did this with the intel compatible version of OSX when they switched over from the IBM G4/G5 lineup.

The real problem is negotiating a deal with Verizon. Verizon obviously has had great success with the Android operating system. In addition, they make more profit on the Android handsets as they don't have to cut any type of revenue share deal with HTC or Motorola or anyone else for that matter... and Google gives out the OS for free so the handset makers save money on R&D.

It all boils down to that war between Google and Apple.

Most interesting is Apple's perspective. They could certainly use this time to announce a deal with Verizon and try to redirect people's attention away from the iPhone 4 antenna design fiasco... and at the same time it would really steal alot of thunder from Google's sails. Verizon is without a doubt the biggest carrier and proponent of pushing the Android operating system. If Apple decides to court that partner it would put a damper on the spread of Android.

Let's face it, it's an all out war between Google and Apple. Both sides have a lot to gain or lose in this war... so how will it boil down? Only time will tell.

Source: Loop Insight

I think that Apple is asking for an exclusive advertising deal like they have with ATT and I don't think that Verizon will go for it. I think that Verizon knows that people have been waiting for an iPhone with them, and they are using that knowledge to pull out a good deal with Apple because they know that their demand could be great for Apple to sell to... But Apple knows that too and knows that their product could easily bring tons of new customers to Verizon and sell a lot more data and messaging plans. It is a contest to out-diva each other and see who is more important in this partnership--customers with the demand, or company with the supply

In this case I gotta say that I think Verizon has the negotiating power...

I'm posting this message below in a couple places in the forum to receive more responses, so I apologize if you're seeing this message for the second or third time.

I read one speculation that the white iPhone 4 has been further delayed, because it is in the process of being modified to accomodate the CDMA/LTE network... meaning the white version of the iPhone 4 will be exclusively offered through Verizon!

I'm curious to hear what you think of that theory... it seems probable, but I suspect there will several angry AT&T customers since that would mean they've been excluded from having the option to own the white iPhone 4, even after being loyal AT&T/iPhone customers. If that ends up being the situation, I could see the unlocked iPhone becoming even more sought after!

I'm posting this message below in a couple places in the forum to receive more responses, so I apologize if you're seeing this message for the second or third time.

I read one speculation that the white iPhone 4 has been further delayed, because it is in the process of being modified to accomodate the CDMA/LTE network... meaning the white version of the iPhone 4 will be exclusively offered through Verizon!

I'm curious to hear what you think of that theory... it seems probable, but I suspect there will several angry AT&T customers since that would mean they've been excluded from having the option to own the white iPhone 4, even after being loyal AT&T/iPhone customers. If that ends up being the situation, I could see the unlocked iPhone becoming even more sought after!

I don't think thats true. Why would Apple hold off on the white iPhone 4 if they can sell them now and make money right away? Plus it looks like they'll have less profit margin with Verizon so that's another reason why they should sell it through AT&T as well.