What's new

App to optimize view of Gmail email on iPhone

jmt356

Reaction score
I am searching for an app that will allow me to view my Gmail on my iPhone. However, I do not want to use the Mail app because I believe that app actually downloads emails to my iPhone, which means: (i) my memory will be used up; and (ii) if my iPhone is ever lost, third parties may gain access to any emails downloaded to the iPhone. I also do not want to use Safari to view the emails online because Gmail email is not optimized for viewing on Safari.
Is there an app that I can use to view my Gmail in an optimized setting but that does not cause my Gmail email to be downloaded to my iPhone?

Have you tried the official Gmail app? Gmail – email from Google on the App Store
If your iPhone is password protected, someone who steals or finds your iPhone will not be able to access your email account without getting past your iPhone and email passwords. You can set up your iPhone to erase all content after a set number of failed password attempts. You can also remotely erase your iPhone if you have previously set up Find My iPhone.

I do have a password on my iPhone, but it is a mere 6-digit numerical password that could be compromised.
Here is what I am looking for in an email client:
- Does not download emails to the iPhone. This way, if the iPhone is ever compromised, an unauthorized user would not have access to years’ worth of my personal email.
- Requires a password to access my email.
I am aware that accessing Gmail through Safari meets both of these criteria, but Gmail email is not optimized for viewing on Safari.
Do the following apps have these two characteristics:
- Gmail – email from Google on the App Store
- Inbox by Gmail
On a final note, when users set up Gmail through the default Mail app, do all of the emails in their Gmail inboxes download to the iPhone? I have around 10 years’ worth of Gmail email which will probably take up around 10 GB of memory if all were downloaded and this is something I would want to avoid if I ever did opt for an app that automatically downloads email for convenience sake.
How do I set up my iPhone to delete all content after 4 failed password attempts?

In regards to erasing your iPhone; go to Settings>TouchID & Passcode>Erase Data and turn on the switch. This will erase your iPhone after 10 failed passcode attempts. You can't set it to erase after only 4 failed attempts.

In regards to your email, you can't read an email message unless it's been downloaded to your iPhone.

J. A.: Is your #6 post referring to accessing Gmail through the iPhone’s default Mail app, through Gmail email from Google on the App Store, through Inbox by Gmail or through Gmail on Safari?
I previously tried to set up my Gmail account through the iPhone’s default Mail app. Once I set it up, the iPhone started downloading my thousands of emails to my iPhone. Is there no way to stop this from happening? Is it not possible to cause the iPhone to only download new emails?

You'll need a security code for Safari, as well as the built in Mail app, Inbox and the Gmail app.

Only keeping the latest few emails on your iPhone would be possible with an Outlook account, but not with Gmail.

How can I get an Outlook account on my iPhone? Do I have to pay for it if I already have Outlook on my computer?