What's new

Gmail app from iPhone Camera app defaults to wrong email address

JohnDohe

Reaction score
Hi,

Ever since the latest update, my iPhone7+ defaults to the wrong "From" email address when
I want to send a photo.

I take the pic, view it, click the share button, click GMail and the "From" is my wife's email address, not mine.

I have her email account in my iPhone.

My iCloud account is correctly set to my email address.

How do I change Camera in my iPhone to use my email address and not my wife's?

Thanks!

You need to go Mail Settings and you will see at the end of list of options “Default address”. Choose your email address here and this should solve your problem.

Hi,

Ever since the latest update, my iPhone7+ defaults to the wrong "From" email address when
I want to send a photo.

I take the pic, view it, click the share button, click GMail and the "From" is my wife's email address, not mine.

I have her email account in my iPhone.

My iCloud account is correctly set to my email address.

How do I change Camera in my iPhone to use my email address and not my wife's?

Thanks!

There's no "Mail" in my Settings.

Did a search in Settings for "Mail" (sans quotes) - nothing.

You must have Mail settings in there, unless you have deleted the native Mail App? In which case you would need to re-download it. Look beneath Accounts and Passwords.

Last edited:
You must have Mail settings in there, unless you have deleted the native Mail App? Look beneath Accounts and Passwords.

Not there, trust me, it was not there.

So I went to App Store and downloaded it from Cloud.

I must have deleted the Mail app because I wasn't using it?

Now Mail shows in Settings.

But . . .

There's no setting in Mail to select the default "From" email account.

However . . .

When I go to Camera or Photos, select a photo and then choose the "Share"
icon in the lower-left (a box with an upward pointing arrow), I'm presented with
options as to how to share: AirDrop, Messages, Mail, GMail.

When I tap the GMail app icon, it loads and in the "From" field my wife's email appears.
I can tap it and select mine, but this is a pain. If I leave it alone and Send it to myself
its from her email address.

But . . . when I tap the Mail app, it loads but I cannot see the "From" email address.
When I send it to myself its from my email address.

carolineM wrote,
"You need to go Mail Settings and you will see at the end of list of options “Default address”.
Choose your email address here and this should solve your problem."

@ carolineM:
There isn't a "Default address" option either in the Mail app itself nor in Settings > Mail.
Please send a screenshot of what you're looking at.

So the question remains:
How does one set the default "From" email address when sharing a photo from the Camera app
using the GMail app that appears as an option to share?

Thanks!

You must have Mail settings in there, unless you have deleted the native Mail App? In which case you would need to re-download it. Look beneath Accounts and Passwords.
You must have Mail settings in there, unless you have deleted the native Mail App? Look beneath Accounts and Passwords.

Not there, trust me, it was not there.

So I went to App Store and downloaded it from Cloud.

I must have deleted the Mail app because I wasn't using it?

Now Mail shows in Settings.

But . . .

There's no setting in Mail to select the default "From" email account.

However . . .

When I go to Camera or Photos, select a photo and then choose the "Share"
icon in the lower-left (a box with an upward pointing arrow), I'm presented with
options as to how to share: AirDrop, Messages, Mail, GMail.

When I tap the GMail app icon, it loads and in the "From" field my wife's email appears.
I can tap it and select mine, but this is a pain. If I leave it alone and Send it to myself
its from her email address.

But . . . when I tap the Mail app, it loads but I cannot see the "From" email address.
When I send it to myself its from my email address.

@ carolineM:
There isn't a "Default address" option either in the Mail app itself nor in Settings > Mail.
Please send a screenshot of what you're looking at.

So the question remains:
How does one set the default "From" email address when sharing a photo from the Camera app
using the GMail app that appears as an option to share?

Thanks!

If you have only one email address in your Mail, then the Default address option would be superfluous. The problem arises because you have a GMail App, so I think you are stuck with doing things the long way round if you need to have your wife's email on your device.

If you have only one email address in your Mail, then the Default address option would be superfluous. The problem arises because you have a GMail App, so I think you are stuck with doing things the long way round if you need to have your wife's email on your device.

Rats.

Thanks!

Just want to make sure you understand what Caroline was saying. She wanted you to go into Settings on your iPhone, scroll down to mail and at the bottom you see the default account. If it says your wife’s, you need to change it to your gmail account. That will probably require you to add your own gmail account to your iPhone but you can have more than one email account on the iPhone with no issues, just label them correctly and pick your correct default. I am attaching a picture so you can see what I mean. HTH

Attachments

• C219538C-5C9E-42D3-BB62-775504818EAF.jpeg
    C219538C-5C9E-42D3-BB62-775504818EAF.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 602
We have a similar problem, but we have disabled Apple mail. Where can we adjust the default email address?

Same place but you must have an e-mail app on the iPhone to change it to. Either one of the Apple ones, currently that would,be an iCloud address or you must have another email address to access. In Settings, go to Passwords and Accounts. Under Accounts, scroll down to Add Account. Add the accounts you want on your iPhone. I currently accused access two non-Apple email accounts. Then follow the above to choose your default account. I am guessing if you only added one account, it will be shown as your default already.

I see a list of accounts, but there is no way to set a default address.

This is frustrating.

You select the default account in Settings - Mail, once you’ve set up the email addresses on your iPhone in Passwords & Accounts.

We don't want to have two or more mail apps on our phones. Therefore, the Mail app is disabled.

Apparently Apple makes that a problem.