What's new

APP To Brick Lost iPhone !

Status
Not open for further replies.

augustya

Reaction score
I am looking out for a APP/ Software which if My phone falls in wrong hands or gets stolen. I can remotely "BRICK" the phone make it completely useless, no software updates, no jailbreak no nothing should again make it operational and restore it. Just lost my Android Phone. I wanna do this with a vengeance :-( I dont just only want to protect my data I want to make that phone useless as I said "BRICK" it !! So Nobody else can unauthorizedly use it !

i've heard that there is an app that take a picture and send it to your email if your iphone got stolen and the thief typed the wrong security code,but the problem i can't remmeber the name of the app

But I have heard that even if you have a screen lock activated like a password lock if you root the ROM ( iOS may have some other way and some other terminology) but if you do that you can bypass everything and have a fresh phone, of course with all the old data wipe out, But that may very well work for the thief who has the phone !

augustya said:
But I have heard that even if you have a screen lock activated like a password lock if you root the ROM ( iOS may have some other way and some other terminology) but if you do that you can bypass everything and have a fresh phone, of course with all the old data wipe out, But that may very well work for the thief who has the phone !

That's true, and that's what the OP is trying to avoid. He's not bothered about the data. He wants his phone to be useless in the event that it's stolen.

Hope there's a way of doing it. I'll be watching with interest.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

Unfortunately, unless you figure out a way to destroy the hardware, there is no way to "brick" a phone. This is by design - Apple has made it so that you can always re-load the newest version of the iOS onto the phone, no matter what is wrong with it. it's called DFU Mode and it will always work ... unless there is a hardware fault.

So, I'm sorry, but there is no way you can prevent someone from putting a stolen iPhone into DFU Mode and restoring it as new. Sorry.

Marilyn

Unfortunately, unless you figure out a way to destroy the hardware, there is no way to "brick" a phone. This is by design - Apple has made it so that you can always re-load the newest version of the iOS onto the phone, no matter what is wrong with it. it's called DFU Mode and it will always work ... unless there is a hardware fault.

So, I'm sorry, but there is no way you can prevent someone from putting a stolen iPhone into DFU Mode and restoring it as new. Sorry.

Marilyn

And this can even bypass the screen lock ? If I Have got it activated ?

Marilyn
I know this isn't what the OP wanted to hear, but I see it as a good thing. It takes some of the worry out of us newbies modding our iphones.

And this can even bypass the screen lock ? If I Have got it activated ?

Yep. DFU Mode is, by design, able to get to the very base of the phone. It does not matter if there is a password - put it into DFU Mode and it's restorable.

Again, unless the actual hardware is damaged, you cannot "brick" an iPhone. Passwords notwithstanding...

Marilyn

i've heard that there is an app that take a picture and send it to your email if your iphone got stolen and the thief typed the wrong security code,but the problem i can't remmeber the name of the app

It's a cydia tweak called iGotYa

Last edited:
Im new to Iphone , and this would be a nice thing to be able to " KILL " your Iphone in case of a theft !!

I guess if someone stole my phone , the only way they would get caught is to take it to an Apple store and they happen to see the serial # has been reported stolen ?? Or ??

How can you brick an iPhone that is not in your physical possession? Makes no sense.

Hello Zig
According to the article link provided in my previous post
"A collaboration between legislation, cellphone providers, and the police has created a database where stolen phones can be easily tracked and then "bricked," or made essentially unusable by the thief or anyone else"

Regardless of what legislation, cell providers & police can do... what can they possibly "SEND" to an iDevice that will render it completely useless? I'm looking at this as a bit load of... well you know.

I totally agree.

I don't think there is *anything* that can be done remotely to make an iPhone *completely* useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.