What's new

iPhone 6 plus lost/stolen

princeofbelair

Reaction score
Hi, I have some doubts towards what to do when iPhone is lost or stolen.

For all I know, my iPhone is gone now.

I have done the traditional protocol and activated "Find my iPhone" and left the message.

What I don't know is...

Will the device be useful if I delete it from my iCloud?
What if I don't? Will it be useless for anyone?
Both ways, is there a jailbreak or similar method so that someone could make the device useful?

My chances are low to get the phone back so I want to know how to proceed next.

Thanks in advance.
:)

If you delete your iPhone from your iCloud account anybody in possession of it would be able to erase the iPhone and use it themselves. If you leave it as it is, it will never be possible for anybody else to use it. There's no jailbreak or any other method to bypass iCloud Activation Lock. In addition, if it's ever turned on, it will connect to the Internet and show its position on the map in your iCloud account. Have you reported the incident to the police? They may be able to use Find My iPhone to track down and recover your iPhone if it's ever turned on and connected to the Internet. Finally, reporting a lost or stolen iPhone to the police is usually a requirement by insurance companies before they'll process a claim.

If you delete your iPhone from your iCloud account anybody in possession of it would be able to erase the iPhone and use it themselves. If you leave it as it is, it will never be possible for anybody else to use it. There's no jailbreak or any other method to bypass iCloud Activation Lock. In addition, if it's ever turned on, it will connect to the Internet and show its position on the map in your iCloud account. Have you reported the incident to the police? They may be able to use Find My iPhone to track down and recover your iPhone if it's ever turned on and connected to the Internet. Finally, reporting a lost or stolen iPhone to the police is usually a requirement by insurance companies before they'll process a claim.

Thanks a lot. You were so helpful!

It was actually my mother in law's iPhone, she hasn't reported to the police yet because she is on a trip.
(She's also not sure if she just lost it.)

I read that what I could also do is require to block my iPhone using its IMEI number, but also some doubts about it.

I don't know if you can answer that, but does IMEI block my iPhone only to my operator?
Like, if someone has another chip from another operator, could they use it?

I heard that IMEI block totally bricks the phone, with no way to bypass any block.

Your carrier will block the IMEI, and the device will be blacklisted.

There's no way around iCloud's activation lock, as scifan57 told you before, so it's not necessary to block the IMEI as well.

Last edited:
Your carrier will block the IMEI, and the device will be blacklisted.

There's no way around iCloud's activation lock, as scifan57 told you before, so it's not necessary to block the IMEI as well.
Thanks! All you guys said was very useful.