What's new

App/tips for improving ringtone volume?

Colorblend

Reaction score
I got my first Iphone recently, a 3GS. I never had a smartphone before so everything is new to me, I like it but I am having problems hearing the phone ringing even on max volume setting. Can anyone recommend an app or a way to make it as loud as possible? Call volume is OK but the ringtones are very faint compared to the sturdy old Nokias I used to have before.

Go ahead and do this through iTunes. :)

Step 1

Create a new folder on your desktop and label it "Originals." Open up iTunes, then drag and drop a music file into the new folder. This will preserve the original, while you edit the file as desired.

Step 2

Locate the song in iTunes and double-click on the title or hit the "Play" button to listen to the track. Find the spot where you would like the song to start and note the exact starting point.

Step 3

Right-click on the title and scroll down to "Get Info." Click to pull up the file's info dialogue box, then click "Options" on the top navigation bar. Click and drag the volume adjustment slider all the way to the right, to make the song louder. If it is a bass-heavy track, then set the Equalizer Preset to "Bass Reducer."

Step 4

Enter the exact starting point into the "Start Time" box. Count 30 seconds from the starting point and enter it in the "Stop Time" box. Click "OK" to save your changes.

Step 5

Right-click on the song title and scroll down to "Create AAC Version." Click on it to convert the file, and then double-click on your hard drive to bring up your computer's search or finder box. Type in the song title, and it should bring up the converted music file with the extension .m4a.

Step 6

Click once on the track's title to highlight it, wait for a few seconds and then click again. This brings up the cursor and allows you to change the song's name. Type in a new name, and change the extension to .m4r. Drag this modified music file into the "Ringtones" section of your iTunes.

Step 7

Sync your iPhone by plugging it into your computer via the USB cable. iTunes will automatically open; click on the name of your device and then the "Info" tab. Select "Ringtones" and then check the box titled "Sync Ringtones." Click "Apply" to start syncing, and iTunes will automatically transfer the new ringtone to your iPhone.

Hope this helps!

I didnt know that. Thanks pal. Appreciate!!! o_O

Thanks a lot for the detailed advice! I did however have to google for a way to make some file formats visible in Itunes and make a "tones" folder, but you helped me a long way. I ended up with the original nerve-wrecking Nokia tune, at max volume it turned out well. Not like older phones, but OK. Now I can actually hear people calling at work. =)

There are also app's that make it much easier to create ringtones