What's new

app store push notifications ??

loco

Reaction score
am i missing some setting that tells the app store to notify me when updates are available ?

usually i dont know if there is an update to an app until i just happen to be looking for something in the app store, when i get the red badge notifying me.

it would be nice if an update was available, i would receive some kind of popup notification or even an email. anything like this exist ?

Scanning constantly against your app list to see if there is an update would put a strain on your iPhones battery or a strain on Apples servers. Their solution is to only scan once a week from the iOS device or when you enter the App store application. I believe it is a decent compromise.

im sure you are correct, however before i had the iphone i had the og droid. it notified me everytime there was an update to any app on the phone.

this seems fundamental to me. if the droids can do it, the iphone should be able to do it better.

im sure you are correct, however before i had the iphone i had the og droid. it notified me everytime there was an update to any app on the phone.

this seems fundamental to me. if the droids can do it, the iphone should be able to do it better.

Yes and your OG Droids battery life, if it was running that last official firmware release from Motorola, was less than 6 hours of on screen time if you were lucky because of background processes constantly checking either the WiFi or 3G connection.

Now if you decided to root your phone and install a custom ROM with a custom kernel, then you could help mitigate that battery life issue. But that required some serious tweaking on each users part. Mainly because you had to test each kernel to see if your OG Droid could run it. I know this because I wrote the book on the subject here at OverClocking 101 .

BTW with no tweaking I get 10 hours of screen time on my iPhone because I don't have programs constantly running in the background.

i was a member of that forum for quite a while. i tried it all, and would switch back and forth regularly. i ran everything from petes roms, to black droids, to miui. i tried all the kernels but had the best luck with chevy's on battery life.

how about a cydia tweak that would allow the user to set the time and date that he/she wanted to poll the system for updates. i would love to be able to set mine to say..... every wednesday at noon.

this way, there is not the constant polling strain.

just a thought.