What's new

Any way to hack iTunes 10.4 to sync with a 6S (on OS 10.8.5)

JackPollack

Reaction score
This is a long shot, but figured I ask:

Have an old Mac that is running Mountain Loin 10.8.5. The OS can't be upgraded for reasons that I wont get into in this post, also have an iPhone 6S Plus. iTunes 10.4.x was the last version of iTunes that would install on OS 10.8.5 but wont recognize a 6S (it will recognize a regular 6).

I can't believe that there are any real major differences (sync wise) between the 6 and the 6S. Somewhere in the app bundle there must be a table of supported devices. I have searched for it but can't locate it.

Does anyone know of a hack or modification I could make to iTunes 10.4 to get it to sync with the 6S?

Have an old Mac that is running Mountain Loin 10.8.5. The OS can't be upgraded for reasons that I wont get into in this post, also have an iPhone 6S Plus. iTunes 10.4.x was the last version of iTunes that would install on OS 10.8.5 but wont recognize a 6S (it will recognize a regular 6).

I can't believe that there are any real major differences (sync wise) between the 6 and the 6S. Somewhere in the app bundle there must be a table of supported devices. I have searched for it but can't locate it.

Does anyone know of a hack or modification I could make to iTunes 10.4 to get it to sync with the 6S?
I’m afraid not. You’ll have to either update the operating system on your Mac or get a newer Mac. If you also have a Windows computer, the latest version of iTunes can be installed on PCs running Windows 7 or later.

It isn't the iPhone version that iTunes can't sync with, it is the iOS version. Newer versions of iOS need increasingly newer iTunes versions to sync.

Thant's not correct - Itunes 10.3 syncs fine with my wife's iPhone 6, but not with my 6S. Bioth phones have IOS 10.3.2 on them.

Here is the full iTunes/macOS/iOS compatibility list. iTunes/Mac OS/iOS compatibility | Communities
BTW, if your Mac is currently running Mountain Lion it can be updated to Mavericks or newer. Depending on exactly which Mac you have, you may be able to update all the way to El Capitan. If you choose not to update, you won’t be able to sync that iPhone 6s to iTunes on your Mac.

Last edited: