What's new

Any news on Untethered 4.2.1.

It's been in beta testing the past few days so shouldn't be too long now. As always no release date has been set...

Cheers Gaz.

On a separate note my phone came with 4.1 when I got and JB it was a breeze, but I had issues with full 15gig storage space being used up even though I only had 55 apps installed, so I done a restore with itunes without knowing the implications of the firmware being upgraded. But what it is I read somewhere that if your using firmware 4.1 and you use cydia, if you 'click make my life easier' in cydia it would save your firmware somewhere should you need to downgrade at a later date. Now I'm 99.9% sure I done this but I have no idea what I need to do to try and downgrade back to 4.1, I tried using Umbrella as some suggested but nothing, and ideas?

Thanks

If your sure go to C:Windows/System32/drivers/etc and open the hosts file in notepad. At the bottom on a new line copy and paste this...

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

Then download the 4.1 firmware for the iPhone 4 here.

Once that's done put your iPhone into DFU mode. Use greenpoison to guide you through it and plug your phone into iTunes. It should detect your phone in DFU and tell you to restore it. Hold shift on your keyboard while clicking on restore and show iTunes the ipsw you just downloaded. At the end you may get an error 'could not restore iphone' this is normal. Just use tiny umbrella to kick it out of recovery.

If you've clicked the make my life easier button you should be on 4.1 and able to get an untethered jailbreak with greenpoision. If not you will need to restore again normally to 4.2.1...

I understand all but one thing you mentioned there, "use greenpoison to guide you through it" I don't understand that part, I've never heard of that program before.

Once I update the host file > dl firmware 4.1 > put IP4 into DFU mode and connect to Itunes > hold down shift and click restore > locate the file I d/l. . What exactly do I do with greenpoison? When I jailbroke my phone before I used limera1n, is it the same sort of tool used in the same way?http://limera1n.com/

Cheers again

Last edited:
I tried more or less what you suggested apart from using that greenpoison tool. I'm just getting a error message on Itunes stating the phone could not be restored, an unknown error occured 3194.

if you somehow grab a 4.2b3 firmware, you can use redsn0w and itll be untethered, just no bluetooth for now hehe

I read that 4.2b3 will only work for mac users and I'm on windows, is that how it is ?

Greenpoision is a jailbreak tool for 4.1 just like limerain. It askes you to out your phone in DFU mode before it can jailbreak your phone and guides you through how to do it.

If your trying to restore to an earlier firmware you need to put your phone in DFU first or it won't work. If you still get an error use tiny umbrella to 'kick it out of recovery'.

So greenpoison would be an app I would need if I was able to downgrade my firmware to 4.1 and not something that will assist me in downgrading to 4.1 ? so it looks like it wont be possible. I've just tried using redsn0w_win_0.9.6b4 again and as I'm writing this my IP4 is stuck again on the apple logo after trying to install installous 4....oh man !

No. Greenpoision is the same thing as limerain. It jailbreaks 4.1. It's just that green poision has a guide to put your phone into DFU mode and I find it easier to get my device into DFU when watching the prompts in greenpoision. It's possible to downgrade IF you have SHSH's backed up whiteout much difficulty.

Remember 4.2.1 is a tethered jailbreak so every time you have to reboot/turn off your phone you need to plug it back into your computer and run redsnow then chops the boot tethered option...

Yeah I know redsnow is tethered that and the fact it's so unstable when is use is the reason why I was so desperate to restore my phone back to 4.1 but alas I don't think it's going to happen. My bloody phone is still frozen on that apple logo after the reboot...OK well I guess it's back to bog standard factory setting IP4 for me until untethered 4.2.1 is available.

Cheers Gaz.

If you do as I said on post #4 then it will work. As long as you have SHSH's stored for 4.1...

Yeah I tried it yesterday and I just tried it again just now and i'm getting the same error message 3194.

When you get that message open tiny umbrella and choose 'kick out of recovery'...