What's new

After using various Android phones I finally tried an iPhone... wow, what a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

androidisbetter

Reaction score
I'm so very confused on how iPhones have had so much success. My only theory is that people who use them, haven't spent any serious amount of time using an Android phone. Or they think that it's great just because it's something Apple made and they have their minds made up for them. I'm not even sure where to start on the many disappointments I have encountered since purchasing my iPhone several weeks ago.

Right off the bat, I was seriously surprised to learn that there was no notification light. Something so simple and something I had grown so accustomed to not being on the supposed advanced device was shocking to me. Now, instead of glancing at my phone laying on my desk to see if I have any missed calls, messages or other notifications, I have to pick up, turn on, unlock and examine each app icon to see if I have any missed notifications. Just something I'll have to get used to, I told myself.

Then when I started looking for the app list I was surprised again to figure out that the homescreens were the app list. No way to customize the home screen? What if there are apps I don't want to have on the homescreens? Too bad. On my Android phones, I made folders named "Main", "Media", "Tools" and "Games" and I put all of my apps in their respective folders except the ones I used heavily. The apps I used heavily I had below the folders, using a widget called multiicon, which allowed me to place 16 icons in the space that only 4 would normally go. This allowed me to have ALL of my apps on 1 screen, categorized, along with a nice digital clock and the current weather based on my location. I can't do any of that on the iPhone. I have to go through multiple homescreens looking for the app I want or go search for it. A very flawed way to have to do it.

When I used to unlock my Android phone, I would be presented with a very nice animation of the weather. If it was raining, water drops would appear on my screen and then be wiped away by wiper blades. If it was sunny, a nice bright sun would shine on the screen for a couple seconds. It was a really neat way to see today's forecast. I had several other widgets on my other homescreens, which made doing things like seeing all my friends updates from various services, like twitter, Facebook, etc, easy to read all in one spot, on a homescreen without having to go into an app. I was surprised to see just how simple the iPhone was. I have never had any issues using widgets. In fact, not one time had I ever had an issue on my Android phones which made me need to reboot or do something in order to make it function properly.

With that being said, I have had to reboot my iPhone a dozen times already. One time after installing a Facebook app, the icon didn't appear. I had to reboot to make the icon show up. Several times SIRI stopped working and I had to disable it, reboot, then re-enable it to get it working again.

I was surprised to see that there was no way to link contacts to my Facebook contacts, which Android does with ease. I had to use an app to sync them, and even then, it only does it manually. On my Android phones, when someone calls or I look at a contact, I could see their current profile pic and status update. Something I really enjoyed that I can't do anymore. When I take a picture with the camera, I can't share it to Facebook. The sharing options are very limited compared to Android phones. I have to go out of the gallery, then into the Facebook app and several presses later I can share it. It takes much longer to share something on Facebook with the iPhone than Android. Everything is just so much more cumbersome on the iPhone.

I was also led to believe that the iPhone was easy and intuitive to use. I have never had any issues figuring out how to do something on my Android phone. It was always very intuitive. I have had to Google how to do countless things on the iPhone that should of been much easier to figure out.

Several times now my e-mail has stopped working for no reason. Something I never had an issue with before. I've had to disable and re-enable push notification several times to get them working again. Now when I don't get an e-mail for awhile, I have to go manually check my mail to make sure I'm not missing any. I use e-mail for work and it's very important that I get them on time.

I have enjoyed hooking my Android phones up to my TV's to show people a video or even a app on the phone on a big screen so everyone can see. I was a little surprised to see that the iPhone has no video outputs of any kind. I understand that there is an adapter that will allow you to do this, but it should be something built in.

Of course, no SD card, which I already knew and I still think is very lame. They want you to have to use iTunes to move media around, which is also very lame. There is no freedom with dealing with media on an iPhone like there is on an Android device.

I can't believe that previous Apple phones had no multitasking capabilities. That is seriously laughable. If this phone wasn't able to multitask I would have taken it back in a heartbeat. I don't mind the double tap to multitask function, it has worked well. I know not all apps have been updated to take advantage of the multitasking yet, but I have encountered no known problems with it yet.

I was expecting better battery life. It makes sense that the battery life is better on a phone that can't do as much. My pet rock has even better battery life. Honestly, the battery life isn't much better if at all than my Android phones were. It really seems about the same.

I could go on like this for quite awhile, listing more and more issues I have with the phone, but I'll stop here. I'm not saying it's all cons, I do think SIRI is awesome (when 'she' works), I think a lot of the apps that are made for both platforms are of higher quality on the iPhone. Not all of them, some are better on Android, but of the ones I use, most of them are nicer on the iPhone. It's strange to see that the ratings are much harsher on the Apple market than on the Android market. The same app will be 4.5 stars on Android and only 2.5-3 stars on Apple. Are Apple users more critical? I'm not sure what this says about the users of each platform, but I tend to agree more with the Android ratings than the ones on the Apple market. A lot of the negative reviews left on the Apple market comes from the person not understanding something or doing something wrong. Seems like maybe Android users are a bit more tech savvy.

I conclude with, if you think iPhones are great, you really don't know what you're missing on an Android phone then.

Last edited:
androidisbetter said:
I'm so very confused on how iPhones have had so much success. My only theory is that people who use them, haven't spent any serious amount of time using an Android phone. Or they think that it's great just because it's something Apple made and they have their minds made up for them. I'm not even sure where to start on the many disappointments I have encountered since purchasing my iPhone several weeks ago.

Right off the bat, I was seriously surprised to learn that there was no notification light. Something so simple and something I had grown so accustomed to not being on the supposed advanced device was shocking to me. Now, instead of glancing at my phone laying on my desk to see if I have any missed calls, messages or other notifications, I have to pick up, turn on, unlock and examine each app icon to see if I have any missed notifications. Just something I'll have to get used to, I told myself.

Then when I started looking for the app list I was surprised again to figure out that the homescreens were the app list. No way to customize the home screen? What if there are apps I don't want to have on the homescreens? Too bad. On my Android phones, I made folders named "Main", "Media", "Tools" and "Games" and I put all of my apps in their respective folders except the ones I used heavily. The apps I used heavily I had below the folders, using a widget called multiicon, which allowed me to place 16 icons in the space that only 4 would normally go. This allowed me to have ALL of my apps on 1 screen, categorized, along with a nice digital clock and the current weather based on my location. I can't do any of that on the iPhone. I have to go through multiple homescreens looking for the app I want or go search for it. A very flawed way to have to do it.

When I used to unlock my Android phone, I would be presented with a very nice animation of the weather. If it was raining, water drops would appear on my screen and then be wiped away by wiper blades. If it was sunny, a nice bright sun would shine on the screen for a couple seconds. It was a really neat way to see today's forecast. I had several other widgets on my other homescreens, which made doing things like seeing all my friends updates from various services, like twitter, Facebook, etc, easy to read all in one spot, on a homescreen without having to go into an app. I was surprised to see just how simple the iPhone was. I have never had any issues using widgets. In fact, not one time had I ever had an issue on my Android phones which made me need to reboot or do something in order to make it function properly.

With that being said, I have had to reboot my iPhone a dozen times already. One time after installing a Facebook app, the icon didn't appear. I had to reboot to make the icon show up. Several times SIRI stopped working and I had to disable it, reboot, then re-enable it to get it working again.

I was surprised to see that there was no way to link contacts to my Facebook contacts, which Android does with ease. I had to use an app to sync them, and even then, it only does it manually. On my Android phones, when someone calls or I look at a contact, I could see their current profile pic and status update. Something I really enjoyed that I can't do anymore. When I take a picture with the camera, I can't share it to Facebook. The sharing options are very limited compared to Android phones. I have to go out of the gallery, then into the Facebook app and several presses later I can share it. It takes much longer to share something on Facebook with the iPhone than Android. Everything is just so much more cumbersome on the iPhone.

I was also led to believe that the iPhone was easy and intuitive to use. I have never had any issues figuring out how to do something on my Android phone. It was always very intuitive. I have had to Google how to do countless things on the iPhone that should of been much easier to figure out.

Several times now my e-mail has stopped working for no reason. Something I never had an issue with before. I've had to disable and re-enable push notification several times to get them working again. Now when I don't get an e-mail for awhile, I have to go manually check my mail to make sure I'm not missing any. I use e-mail for work and it's very important that I get them on time.

I have enjoyed hooking my Android phones up to my TV's to show people a video or even a app on the phone on a big screen so everyone can see. I was a little surprised to see that the iPhone has no video outputs of any kind. I understand that there is an adapter that will allow you to do this, but it should be something built in.

Of course, no SD card, which I already knew and I still think is very lame. They want you to have to use iTunes to move media around, which is also very lame. There is no freedom with dealing with media on an iPhone like there is on an Android device.

I can't believe that previous Apple phones had no multitasking capabilities. That is seriously laughable. If this phone wasn't able to multitask I would have taken it back in a heartbeat. I don't mind the double tap to multitask function, it has worked well. I know not all apps have been updated to take advantage of the multitasking yet, but I have encountered no known problems with it yet.

I was expecting better battery life. It makes sense that the battery life is better on a phone that can't do as much. My pet rock has even better battery life. Honestly, the battery life isn't much better if at all than my Android phones were. It really seems about the same.

I could go on like this for quite awhile, listing more and more issues I have with the phone, but I'll stop here. I'm not saying it's all cons, I do think SIRI is awesome (when 'she' works), I think a lot of the apps that are made for both platforms are of higher quality on the iPhone. Not all of them, some are better on Android, but of the ones I use, most of them are nicer on the iPhone. It's strange to see that the ratings are much harsher on the Apple market than on the Android market. The same app will be 4.5 stars on Android and only 2.5-3 stars on Apple. Are Apple users more critical? I'm not sure what this says about the users of each platform, but I tend to agree more with the Android ratings than the ones on the Apple market. A lot of the negative reviews left on the Apple market comes from the person not understanding something or doing something wrong. Seems like maybe Android users are a bit more tech savvy.

I conclude with, if you think iPhones are great, you really don't know what you're missing on an Android phone then.

Android users are a bit more tech savvy?? Oops..wait for it....wait for it

I am an ex-android developer, themer and ROM dev who had been on android phones since the HTC G1 was released. I am now on the iPhone 4S and it's the best phone I've ever owned and am glad I made the switch. Just because a device doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's bad for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.