What's new

Advice needed as to best free sat nav app for Spain

Keith66

Reaction score
I am hiring a car to drive my wife and me from Alicante Airport to an area near Alcoy for a short break - about an hour's drive - I have never tried a sat nav app on my iPhone as my car in the UK has built in Sat Nav and in the past on the occasions when I have hired a car abroad I did not have a mobile phone so I have just used a map but I would like to try the merits of a sat nav on my phone in the hope it makes things easier.
I am seeking advice as to which is the best free app as there appear to be several choices.

For a one time use, you could try using the stock Apple maps app that came with your iPhone. Simply enter your destination in the search box at the top of the screen and tap the bent arrow to the left of the search box, then tap the start button at the bottom of the screen. As well as the route being displayed on screen, there are audible turn by turn directions.

This will use data so make sure you have a local SIM card if you want to avoid data roaming charges. It's also quite draining for the battery, so keep the charger plugged in.

Thank you for your assistance.
A couple of days ago we were driving to a place in the UK an hours drive away which we were not familiar with so instead of using the car sat nav I used my Iphone and used the Apple directions and it worked perfectly.
I will use it in Spain and note that I need to use a local SIM card and watch out for battery use.

What do you mean by data management? Are you looking to manage cellular data usage?