What's new

Accessing internet on my laptop through my iPhone 5

TomWoodgeard

Reaction score
Hello; First of all, I am an iPhone newbie (iPhone 5 - Verizon). I am going to have a hip replacement at the V.A. Hospital in St. Petersburg, and I want to use my laptop to pass the time. I am thinking that the V.A. hospital probably won't have WiFi. Is there a way to access the internet on my laptop through my iPhone? I had PDA.Net on my old Android phone and it worked fine. Remember...... I am new at this! Thanks......Tom Woodgeard - Sarasota, Florida.

TomWoodgeard said:
Hello; First of all, I am an iPhone newbie (iPhone 5 - Verizon). I am going to have a hip replacement at the V.A. Hospital in St. Petersburg, and I want to use my laptop to pass the time. I am thinking that the V.A. hospital probably won't have WiFi. Is there a way to access the internet on my laptop through my iPhone? I had PDA.Net on my old Android phone and it worked fine. Remember...... I am new at this! Thanks......Tom Woodgeard - Sarasota, Florida.

If your cellular carrier allows tethering, you should have no problem. Some carriers do charge extra for tether data usage, though. Since tethering is a battery hog for the phone, you may want to have the phone plugged into the charger when using it as a personal hotspot.
Once the feature has been activated, go to Settings and select Personal Hotspot.

$image-1236025382.jpg.

$image-2793543516.jpgOn this screen, turn on the hotspot and your laptop should see the hotspot. Log in and you're ready to go.

if you have one of the newer shared verizon data plans, hotspot is included at no extra charge. however, passing the time by tethering your laptop can really burn data quick. so make sure you keep an eye on it.

dictoresno said:
if you have one of the newer shared verizon data plans, hotspot is included at no extra charge. however, passing the time by tethering your laptop can really burn data quick. so make sure you keep an eye on it.

Especially if you watch streaming video content.

Thanks for the replies. I decided to go to ............... and for $24.95 per year I can tether to my phone. (Better than Verizon's $20.00 per month).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah apparently iPhone's hotspot is much more stable than brand S. good choice. but watch out on the data usage though