What's new

About iOS and Jailbreaking. Experts Please Help ME regarding This

TZY8wc6.png

This is the main page of Cydia (as you probably already know). To get started, it's recommended that you browse through the "Featured" tab that I circled on the top. It gives a few nice list of apps/tweaks that can get you started. Some are paid, some are free (mostly free IIRC).

On the bottom, Sections basically separates the tweaks/apps you can download by categories, as show below. The search button allows you to search for something specific. If you know what the app/tweak is called, simply search it up. I.E, SBSettings. I know what it does, I like what it does, and I want it. But, I don't want to go searching through all the sections trying to look for it, so just opening up Search, and typing in SBSettings will bring it up immediately. Pretty self-explanatory.

Fsy0pAf.png

Here's a quick screen capture of Sections. Sometimes, the number of items head into the thousands or tens of thousands as you can see in the Addons (Bootlogo) in the picture, so searching is a lot easier if you know what you're looking for.

zuNv6nb.png

The below picture is how you basically install something. Once you've searched or looked through sections for something you like, tap on it and it'll show you a page with the app/tweak's name and a description of it. If your device meets the requirements, simply tap on the Install button on the top right, then tap on Confirm to install the app/tweak and all of its co-requisites.

Always read the description of apps and tweaks before installing to make sure that it's compatible with your device and iOS individually or in combination to prevent problems. This is through the PoV of an iPad, but it's the same thing, just on a bigger screen.

I would recommend searching and installing MobileSubstrate or SBSettings right off the bat before you start twiddling with Cydia. MobileSubstrate (downloaded as well when you install SBSettings) allows you to put your device into Safe Mode for debugging purposes like when you install a bad tweak/app and it's causing your device problems like getting stuck on the Apple logo or Recovery Looping and such.

OMG @willerz2!!! You kind of explained what I neede to know about Cydia, and the other info, ( but I didn't quite know how to articulate the question!) thank you! Is there another area that I can go to to get more info on this? Because (not to sound too new) but I don't download Cydia until after I jailbreak right? I am being really cautious in getting all of the correct info before I do so.... Iphone 4 iOS 6.1.2 from Verizon. Thank you!

OMG @willerz2!!! You kind of explained what I neede to know about Cydia, and the other info, ( but I didn't quite know how to articulate the question!) thank you! Is there another area that I can go to to get more info on this? Because (not to sound too new) but I don't download Cydia until after I jailbreak right? I am being really cautious in getting all of the correct info before I do so.... Iphone 4 iOS 6.1.2 from Verizon. Thank you!
Cydia automatically comes w/ Jailbreaking. The only exception to that is... when Jailbreaking w/ redsn0w. There's an option to not install Cydia. You have to manually uncheck a box for that.

Oh ok, I did not know that. Thank you so much for
That info! Can you tell me just basically what Cydia is for?
I mean is it basically what you need when you jailbreak, to be
able to get themes for my phone? Is there other things that
Cydia is good for? I tried to download it to my phone, & it was
weird because I kept getting these little pop up windows from
Verizon, that basically prevented me from even looking at the Cydia site! Lol

You can only get Cydia on your device if you're jailbroken. It's installed when you jailbreak your device. Cydia is basically the jailbroken version of the AppStore where you can download free or paid tweaks/apps to mod your device's fluidity and UI. If you want to theme, Winterboard is a very well-known and handy tweaks to get from Cydia. You can also download other apps/tweaks that mod other parts of the device, like the color of the statusBar, the way that your texts are opened/received, having root access to your device directly on the device itself, being able to toggle different toggles like Wifi, Data, Airplane, Brightness, Rotation and such without having to open up Settings.app every time to do so, change your springboard layout however you like so that you can place apps wherever on the springboard and it won't bounce back to fill the row of 4 before it starts the next, and lots of other possibilities.

Thank you once again my friend....I don't know why but something tells me that you probably have somewhat of a higher IQ than most. You always have the most useful and seemingly accurate info....(just sayin) :)