What's new

A new bee with a question on Jailbreaking.

Richy1974

Reaction score
Hello All.

New to the forum, so be gentle with me! Hopefully I'll pick up some good gen along the way.

My first question is regarding Jailbreaking.

I have an iPhone 4 running ios 6.1.3. I am tempted to have a go at Jailbreaking it but I have no idea where to start! What is the best way to go about it? Is there a step by step guide for slightly non tech people?!

If I do jailbreak it, will I still be able to download apps from the apple store? And how do things like software updates work?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, welcome to iPhoneForums. I'm Jon.

Please take some time to peruse the IPF Rules: iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Here are some guides that may suit your needs.

iPhone Tips & Tricks

What is jailbreaking?

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

Understanding and Utilizing RedSn0w

Can I Jailbreak my iPhone on this iOS/Jailbreak Status Thread

My particular field of expertise is iOS Jailbreaking and Unlocking.

We have a pretty extensive tutorial section on iPhoneForums that pretty much outlines how to jailbreak any device on any iOS assuming they're a jailbreakable combination, which you can find out in the last link right above. Here's the tutorial subforum. If you look at the last link above, I've listed the guide next to each iOS jailbreak category, providing users with detailed and colorfully pictured instructions.

And yes. Jailbreak simply adds more to your stock features. Whatever you can do on a stock iPhone, you can do the same if not better on a jailbroken iPhone.

Well to start off I don't think there is an untethered jailbreak for 6.1.3. Untethered means you don't have to connect your phone to a computer each time you respring or power on your phone from a turned off state (not sleep mode). Respringing is simply like restart on your computer but for your phone and allows whatever tweak or app you downloaded from Cydia to appear or take effect. Being jail broken you can operate your phone just like you did before the jail break like downloading apps, calling, texting, etc... You shouldn't ever update the software on your phone when jail broken cause it'll most likely cause your phone to become dead paper weight. You should only update software after you restore your phone using iTunes back to the unjailbroken state. Then you can update your software and (hopefully) rejailbreak with the new untethered jailbreak. But if you want to stay jail broken then its best if you wait until the new untethered jailbreak is available.