What's new

4s will not restore

ivylodge

Reaction score
I replaced the battery on my 4s.
Switched it on but searching was shown top left.
Looking at the setting carrier & network showed N/A
No change after a few minutes,so swapped the sim card for another "eventhough original was working fine" but still the same.
I then put both sim cards into another phone of which but have a signal no problem.
Connected to itunes & made a back up then did a restore.
Upon the restart in itunes it showed a message like unable to restore ?
No serial number is now shown on the screen.
Looking at the screen it was stuck in recovery mode.
Held down on/off & home button untill off,held home button down & connected usb cable,released when itunes found it.
Advised phone was in recovery mode & must restore so i hit ok etc.
After a few minutes and what looked good itunes said unable to restore this iphone error 1 ?
Tried a couple of times now and no change at all also changed usb cable & used another usb port.
Now i have a phone where i stuck to fix,any help would be gratefull.

Hardware issue. Something is off with your battery or while replacing the battery, something went amiss in terms of being moved. Make sure that all parts are intact, and everything is in its place.

OK,
I have removed & replaced the battery again.
Once the back cover there is only 2 screws that hold the battery ribbon cable in place.
There is also a small metal tab etc that also connects using one of these screws.
Put the back back on and tried again.
Home button down,connect usb & let go once itunes sees it.
Itunes runs the process again but same problem / error message.
Looking at the progress bar on the screen it stops in the same place.

$4S.jpg

Take the battery out and examine the entire area around the battery. Keep the battery detached for an hour to reset the NAND. If possible, replace your old battery and see if it works so that you can rule out the battery being an issue

Only let's me link one video per message

Last edited by a moderator:
OK
I removed the replacement battery and left it out one hour as advised.
I then refitted the replacement battery.
I then held down the home button,connected to itunes and released home button once phone was recognised.
Same problem with same message.

I then done the same for the original battery.
No battery in phone for one hour,held down home button,connect to itunes & release but same problem.

I have watched both videos and i can confirm that the battery was replaced in the exact same way.
I also carefully replaced the item between the battery cable shield as per the video.

When i watch itunes i see the following.
EXTRACTING SOFTWARE
PREPAIRING FOR RESTORE
WAITING FOR IPHONE
VERIFYING IPHONE RESTORE
RESTORING IPHONE SOFTWARE
VERIFYING IPHONE SOFTWARE
VERIFYING IPHONE RESTORE
RESTORING IPHONE FIRMWARE,,THIS IS WHEN I SEE THE ERROR MESSAGE.

Lets say i am not logged into itunes and connect this orange phone,is there anyway that my o2 phone could have been written to the phone ?
Its strange i do not see the serial number on the itunes screen or the name of the phone on the itunes screen.
Strange after initial restore in itunes no carrier or network was shown on the phone.
I did make a backup file which is in itunes for this phone but i cant get to it because every time i connect the phone to itunes it tells me its in recovery mode,so i never get to select the back up file i made.

If i can put the back up file on the phone somehow then at least i can start it and show you screen shot etc where there is no name and network carrier.

OK
I removed the replacement battery and left it out one hour as advised.
I then refitted the replacement battery.
I then held down the home button,connected to itunes and released home button once phone was recognised.
Same problem with same message.

I then done the same for the original battery.
No battery in phone for one hour,held down home button,connect to itunes & release but same problem.

I have watched both videos and i can confirm that the battery was replaced in the exact same way.
I also carefully replaced the item between the battery cable shield as per the video.

When i watch itunes i see the following.
EXTRACTING SOFTWARE
PREPAIRING FOR RESTORE
WAITING FOR IPHONE
VERIFYING IPHONE RESTORE
RESTORING IPHONE SOFTWARE
VERIFYING IPHONE SOFTWARE
VERIFYING IPHONE RESTORE
RESTORING IPHONE FIRMWARE,,THIS IS WHEN I SEE THE ERROR MESSAGE.

Lets say i am not logged into itunes and connect this orange phone,is there anyway that my o2 phone could have been written to the phone ?
Its strange i do not see the serial number on the itunes screen or the name of the phone on the itunes screen.
Strange after initial restore in itunes no carrier or network was shown on the phone.
I did make a backup file which is in itunes for this phone but i cant get to it because every time i connect the phone to itunes it tells me its in recovery mode,so i never get to select the back up file i made.

If i can put the back up file on the phone somehow then at least i can start it and show you screen shot etc where there is no name and network carrier.

Unfortunately no. Serial, IMEI, ESNs and all other credentials from the motherboard and not stored on a backup. There are mechanisms in the device that checks for OEM products, so you'd also want to make sure that your battery is OEM and that you buy a certified OEM one if it isn't.

The replacement battery was not OEM but the original is.
I replaced the battery as it only lasted around say 6 hours.
I have not fitted the original OEM battery back into the phone so we are at square one again.
This then overcomes the issue you mention,how do i proceed from here.

Thanks for your time.

At this point you'll probably need to perform a proper teardown of the entire device and ensure that everything is firmly in place and all connectors are where they're supposed to be. You may want to bring it to a professional and have them check it out for you instead if you're hesitant to do so yourself.

If you do take it completely down take pictures and/or video Please

I feel that there is no need to take it apart.
I only removed 2 screws which hold the battery cable in place.
I am sure that the problem lies when itunes tried to restaore the iphone.

I am correct in thinking i need to get the firmware on the phone in order for me to continue,if so is there another method of getting it onto the phone.