What's new

4S Poor Performance

Reaction score
My iPhone can't seem to do anything smoothly since the release of iOS 7. I updated apps per the iPhone's request, but have not updated to iOS 7. Everything is slow; internet, WiFi, switching between apps, uploading, download, emails, etc...What made my phone so enjoyable was how well it performed when I first bought it. It is currently on iOS 6.0.1. Now its a hassle to do anything...any advice?*

*I do not wish to update to iOS 7, I do not like it.

In your earlier posts you talked quite a bit about jailbreaking, is your phone jailbroken at this time?

There's a probably solution and a definite solution to your issue. The probably gamble one would be to purchase an app called iClean from the iOS AppStore to remove all cache (currently only available in Sweden, it's been removed from the US and Canadian AppStore I believe). It clears any cache and unnecessary files, prunes your settings/preferences for conflicts, all with a single tap of a button.

The definite solution would be to jailbreak your device, backup your device and apps to iTunes, then wipe your device completely (preserves the jailbreak though). End result is that you have a device that's essentially "out of the box" (but jailbroken), so it's like a fresh restore of iOS 6.0.1 back onto your device even though you can't do so through iTunes.

I like your definite solution, I'm leaning heavily in that direction...

First you'd need to backup your device using iTunes. Sync your apps as well so you won't have to re-download them individually again. Do this prior to proceeding. Though a jailbreak usually does not have issues, it's still a necessary precaution to take so not to lose data.

Second, follow this guide to jailbreak using Evasi0n 1.5.3 for iOS 6.0 through 6.1.2

Once jailbroken, follow this guide to run ILEX R.A.T. to completely wipe your device of all stock/user data as well as jailbroken data (with the exception of the jailbreak itself) from your device, leaving your device in a fresh-out-of-box state. In this case, you're looking for option 12

Does it matter if I wipe out all data first prior to jailbreaking? In other words, should I first use the built in Erase All Content and Settings?

Is there a preferred variation of iOS 6 for jailbreaking with evasi0n?

I am also curious about downloading new applications from the app store. They are now optimized for iOS 7 right? Is that problematic in any way? Because that goes back to my initial concern with poor performance on my phone currently with updated apps but not updated iOS.

Ultimately I wish to do the following:
1. Completely reset and preserve iOS 6.0.1
2. Jailbreak
3. Reinstall multi-media and Cydia tweaks.

Last edited:
Does it matter if I wipe out all data first prior to jailbreaking? In other words, should I first use the built in Erase All Content and Settings?

Is there a preferred variation of iOS 6 for jailbreaking with evasi0n?

I am also curious about downloading new applications from the app store. They are now optimized for iOS 7 right? Is that problematic in any way? Because that goes back to my initial concern with poor performance on my phone currently with updated apps but not updated iOS.

Ultimately I wish to do the following:
1. Completely reset and preserve iOS 6.0.1
2. Jailbreak
3. Reinstall multi-media and Cydia tweaks.

Your list of steps is a good way to go.

You can use "erase all content and settings" to wipe your phone. As long as it's not jail broken, it won't hurt anything and it won't change the iOS version you have. Just, if you do jailbreak, never use that setting. It'll mess up a jailbreak (and your phone).

Oh, and the best variation of iOS 6 to use for jail breaking is the one you are on. You cannot load any other version of iOS 6 and, if you try to restore at any time (now and in the future), you WILL be restoring to iOS 7.x (the most recent at that time).

Unfortunately, apps are being updated/optimized for iOS 7. That is just something you will have to expect and deal with since you are staying at iOS 6.

Good luck with everything and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

...You cannot load any other version of iOS 6 and, if you try to restore at any time (now and in the future), you WILL be restoring to iOS 7.x (the most recent at that time).

Just to clarify, is it at all possible in any circumstances to return to the original iOS (whichever iOS one had prior to jailbreaking) of any device after having been jailbroken?

I was under the impression that there were precautions to take in the event something goes wrong, one could revert to the most recent un-jailbroken state that their device was in....

Last edited:
Just to clarify, is it at all possible in any circumstances to return to the original iOS (whichever iOS one had prior to jailbreaking) of any device after having been jailbroken?

I was under the impression that there were precautions to take in the event something goes wrong, one could revert to the most recent un-jailbroken state that their device was in....

Unless you have a pre-A5 device, or, the iPad 2 with valid SHSH blobs and APTickets for both iOS 4.X and iOS 5.X, no. The only reason you can return to the iOS that was on your device prior to the jailbreak is because you'll be downgrading. A5+ devices do not have a bootrom exploit as explained here. Without a bootrom level exploit, you cannot downgrade your device, regardless of whether you have blobs or not.

Sorry if this was already answered, but it is still unclear to me: If I jailbreak my iPhone iOS 6.0.1 right now, using evasi0n, I can restore using (itunes, or other method?) and be back to iOS 6.0.1, right?

I know it won't go back to the iOS it had brand new out of the box before the first time I ever turned it on, but it will go back to iOS 6.0.1, right?

Correct me if I am wrong....Its just that when I ask friends who have jailbroken before, they say "yeah no problem you can undo it." I am probably just getting terms and concepts a bit mixed up....

I am tired of the limits, I am ready to jailbreak!

I am still a little unclear about blobs and what I need to do before I jump right in and run the jailbreak, please advise....

Lastly, is it better to restore with iTunes first, then jailbreak, or, jailbreak first, then back up and then run ILEX R.A.T.?

Last edited:
Sorry if this was already answered, but it is still unclear to me: If I jailbreak my iPhone iOS 6.0.1 right now, using evasi0n, I can restore using (itunes, or other method?) and be back to iOS 6.0.1, right?

I know it won't go back to the iOS it had brand new out of the box before the first time I ever turned it on, but it will go back to iOS 6.0.1, right?

Correct me if I am wrong....Its just that when I ask friends who have jailbroken before, they say "yeah no problem you can undo it." I am probably just getting terms and concepts a bit mixed up....

I am tired of the limits, I am ready to jailbreak!

I am still a little unclear about blobs and what I need to do before I jump right in and run the jailbreak, please advise....

Lastly, is it better to restore with iTunes first, then jailbreak, or, jailbreak first, then back up and then run ILEX R.A.T.?

Not with iTunes. The only way to get as close to stock as possible would be to jailbreak and use ILEX RAT. iTunes will force you to 7.0.4. It doesn't restore your device in anyway, it just reverses all the changes made to your device. I.E. when installing a package, your device runs the Terminal command "apt-get install <insert tweak name>". When you run ILEX RAT, it reverses that command, and runs "apt-get remove <insert tweak name>", and it does so for each and every package that you've installed for jailbroken devices. In terms of stock data, it does something similar by completely purging all data that is not associated with the core iOS itself.

Blobs will most likely not be usable for A5+ devices because of a lack of a bootrom exploit. There can be methods that allows for downgrading or custom IPSW restoration on A5+ devices, but none of the developers are willing to burn exploits just so that it can be done for a few days, then have it completely patched and wasted after about 2-3 days. Unless there's an iOS specific exploit that can be used (such as the iPad 2 Wifi models that have iOS 4.X blobs), you cannot restore selectively even if you have SHSH blobs and proper APTickets for A5+ devices.

If you restore with iTunes, you'll be on 7.0.4 and will have to jailbreak using Evasi0n7 rather than Evasi0n6 1.5.3. Whether you want to go with iOS 6 or iOS 7 is up to you.

...I've been busy with school and work and havn't been able to follow up on this. I am still unhappy with my phone's performance, I crave high performance from everything I own. I definately want the benefits that jailbreaking has to offer, but I just don't trust my own understanding at this point. Apps are now optimized for iOS 7, and although my phone works, it does not work like I think it should (it is sluggish)....

@willerz2

In one of your first replies, you say to jailbreak and then to create a backup using iTunes. Later, it sounds like you say to make the backup first, then to jailbreak. Could you please clarify?

I still don't trust my own understanding of this topic, I like my iphone on iOS 6.0.1., but just want it jailbroken. But will it operate any faster or smoother once jailbroken?

Here a some of the main reasons I wish to jailbreak:
Haptic Feedback
Bluetooth file transfer to my MacBook Pro
Camera manual control? (I'm a photographer)
Text/Ring tones
Change menu colors?
etc...

thanks...

Last edited:
update: iphone 4s64gb 6.0.1 now jailbroken with evasi0n...im looking to make my screen vibrate to all touch commands, and i also wonder what photography apps i might find useful being a film photographer who likes manual control over the camera...