What's new

Downgrading to an IOS < IOS7 on Iphone 4S

Just checked Apple’s TSSstatus/API-Status site: 6.1.3 is not signed any more, which means it can’t be installed. In fact, Apple doesn’t sign any software for the iPhone 4s.
858B4E1B-5E05-41F7-B523-DDC286E1E05E.png
63C7D209-E991-4671-9999-4B86CB9104D4.png

It’s possible that you can’t update to 9.3.5 either. During the installation, the iPhone connects to Apple’s servers, which make sure the “right” iOS (the one signed by Apple) will be installed.

Just checked Apple’s TSSstatus/API-Status site: 6.1.3 is not signed any more, which means it can’t be installed. In fact, Apple doesn’t sign any software for the iPhone 4s.
View attachment 42988 View attachment 42989
It’s possible that you can’t update to 9.3.5 either. During the installation, the iPhone connects to Apple’s servers, which make sure the “right” iOS (the one signed by Apple) will be installed.
I think we have a bug here as that site also says that Apple isn't signing any iOS version for the iPad 1, 2, and 3, but if you check the column where it shows the date that signing ceased it says null instead if giving a date. I think the bug is just that the no is showing instead of the yes.

Last edited:
What iOS Version was the best to use on the 4s? @70 I am not up on cell phone.

You can't get it any, but 5.1.1 works great on my 4S.

9.3.5 is a better choice than 9.3.1, I went from one to the other on my 3rd gen iPad with the same processor as the 4S. It has advantages over iOS 8 and lower if you have multiple devices, the Apple Store sees my iPad but not my 4S. Lots of little things, but the speed hit was way too much

I think for right now I will play with 4s with TracFone for talk phone minute and my home WiFi for the internet and other stuff.

Then after Xmas I might saving my money and buy a 5s or 5se. Which is better?

I think for right now I will play with 4s with TracFone for talk phone minute and my home WiFi for the internet and other stuff.

Then after Xmas I might saving my money and buy a 5s or 5se. Which is better?
While those iPhone can be had a a very good price, you’d be better buying a more recent used iPhone. It’s likely that those iPhones won’t get an update to iOS 13 next year.
The iPhone 5s was first introduced 5 years ago in 2013.