What's new

4S Earpiece/speaker issue ~ what do I need to replace?

nyjumpee

Reaction score
I "very briefly" allowed my 4S to get in contact with water. . .everything seemed to be working fine until I made a call. . .I can't hear anything. . .but people on the other end can hear me. So I called my phone. . .that is indeed the case. I can hear my voice talking from the iphone throught the other phone but cannot hear anything from the other end on my iPhone. I tested it with my headset (corded) and everything works fine. . so I suspect it's the earpiece.

I then checked to see if it could play music. . . no go. . no sound. My question is does the music come from the same place as the earpiece when someone is talking on the phone?

Or, is the problem worse than I thought and the there is more than one system affected by the water?

BTW When I called my iPhone, it does ring. . .my question is where do all these different sounds come from e.g. music, external ring and voice from earpiece? My feeling is that if they all come from the same place, then maybe I can just replace either the earpiece or the speaker. But if multiple systems are failing, it might be a lost cause.

Thanks in advance for your input!

ADDITIONAL INFO JUST DISCOVERED: When I tried to play music just now and couldn't hear anything, I tried to adjust the volume and "headphone" appeared on the screen as if I had headphones plugged in, so somehow it thinks I have headphones in which is probably why no sound comes out of the earpiece or speaker but works with headphones. . .so. . .what circuit is involved in diverting the sound to the headphone jack rather than the speaker and earpiece or is there a way to "reset" it? Thanks!

Last edited:
Having killed 3 phones by taking calls in the rain, yep had that ...
The water seems to eat away causing more problems, FYI it's real nice to have lots of toys on the 5s but waterproofing is the only thing we want ...
Only solution is a replacement

Having killed 3 phones by taking calls in the rain, yep had that ...
The water seems to eat away causing more problems, FYI it's real nice to have lots of toys on the 5s but waterproofing is the only thing we want ...
Only solution is a replacement

Hey TintBob! Thanks for the quick reply. . .and I was afraid of that. . .I'm the type that'll usually spend more money to "fix" something than to replace it. . just on principle! I'm not giving up just yet but deep down I think you're correct and I'm probably gonna spring for the aftermarket waterproofing on my next iPhone. . .at least most everything else still works on the phone. . .maybe I can use it as extra storage. . .or a bookmark. . .thanks again!

FIXED IT!!!! I Googled "iphone stuck in headphone mode water" and found https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1343532?start=30&tstart=0. Basically it said call your phone from another phone, answer your phone and toggle the speaker on and off a couple of times. . . now I can hear through the earpiece!!!! Un-freakin-believable. . . . I'll be holding my breath for a while cause I think if it screwed up once it'll screw up again. . .maybe I'll toss the phone in a bag of rice overnight (inside of a stocking or something to keep the rice out of the cracks and crevices. . .) to hopefully dry up whatever caused the problem. . .I'll post back if it fails again ~ Good info for whoever can use it! :)