What's new

3rd party cables harmful to phone?

Atheana

Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing (well have purchased, am now awaiting delivery) the iPhone 5 LIGHTNING 8 PIN USB CABLE CHARGER from a seller on eBay (iPhone 5 LIGHTNING 8 PIN USB CABLE CHARGER 1M | eBay). When I queried him on 3rd party cables not working (as well?) because of the chip. He replied saying

"the original cables didn't have this chip but on the 22rd of this month it was cracked. My cables contain the chip so don't worry"

Does anyone who knows and understands the mechanics of the new lightening cable know if third party cables are harmful to the phone? And before it is suggested I search the forum, I have but couldn't find the answer.

Cheers

I have a third party cable and so far it has not damaged my phone. The reason for that however is that I got one too many cables so it's sitting on my desk.

Cheers for your reply. So does this mean that you've never actually used the 3rd party cable?

I have a third party cable and so far it has not damaged my phone. The reason for that however is that I got one too many cables so it's sitting on my desk. It was suppose to arrive before Apples but actually arrived in the mail 2 hours after Apple's showed up (and it was early too).

I would have no fear in using it. I also don't have fear of using chargers from my Android phones that use USB to lightning. I say go for it.

So why not use it and then give a worthwhile answer?

good to hear, I would like to use 3rd party cables for around the house, work, and car.. etc

OK. I used it. It works fine, just used it for charging.

Thank you. I've bought a couple extra Apple lightning cables but am looking to buy more for convienence. Glad to know they're other options that work.

As promised, I am following up on my eBay purchase of the lightening cable. I purchased three from casetech2012 (the eBay seller) - one worked perfectly, one was temperamental and the third a dud. HOWEVER, the seller is a top rated ebayer and immediately replaced the two iffy ones which turned out just fine. I've seen no adverse effectes from using 3rd party cables which was my initial concern. When compared to the original cable which came with the iPhone, I can see no visible difference or difference in performance. I would highly recommend using these cables and the seller I purchased them from. I'm not sure what his current stock levels are like as these were going like hot cakes but its certainly worth a go.

I don't know about the ones on Amazon, but I purchased three from this ebayer and they are as good as the original. Where there were problems he replaced them immediately (read my above post). Why not give this ebayer a go?

Not as far as I can tell. I've used third party cables on cell phones (non-iPhone, yet), iPad, iTouch. Ive also used third party cables and power supplies on Mac computers, including laptops. Never had an issue.

Because I'm in the US. Ill look into I but it looked international?
Looked it up too... comes from the UK. Interesting that the member who originally brought these to our attention is also in the UK. Either way... I never purchase anything International. Too much of a hassle!!