What's new

3G S Unlock question for a newbie

aip

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first posting here and pardon me if this question has already been answered. I searched but couldn't get a clue to my issue.

I own a iPhone 3G S with Version: 3.1.2 (7D11) and firmware (05.11.07). I have already jailbroken my phone with blackra1n RC2 (tethered jailbreak) in 2010 and also used blacksn0w RC1 to unlock the phone two weeks back. Before unlocking, I used tinyumbrella to save SHSH info of the phone on my PC.

I'm having some issues after the unlock. Every now and then the phone loses AT&T signal strength completely, displays "No device" briefly and then comes back with full signal strength displaying 3G. Here is my dilemma:

I wanted to move to 4.3.3 without disturbing the baseband version 05.11.07. My intention is to give this phone full unlocked to my dad who is in India. I also wanted to have a untethered jailbreak on this phone to install SBS Settings (for example).

Is this all possible?

Please help me as I don't have a clue on what I should be doing.

Thanks.

So you are currently using AT&T but you unlocked the phone? AT&T is an official carrier so it doesn't require unlock, if you installed ultrasn0w on an AT&T iPhone that could be what is causing the signal problem.

As for updating to 4.3.3 first you need to use TinyUmbrella or Cydia to determine whether or not you have your 4.3.3 SHSH saved. If you do, then you need to use Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3 or Pwnage Tool 4.3.3.1 to create a custom firmware(which will preserve your baseband). Then you need to shift+restore the custom firmware the program creates while your device in Pwned DFU mode(built into Pwnage and Sn0wbreeze). Once the firmware restores you go into Cydia and search for "Ultrasn0w" download and install that to unlock it.

aip said:
Anybody please?

I am no techie but the best bet was not to jailbreak the phone. I jail broke an first generation iPhone from then on the phone would not power to only the apple would show up then nothing. But then I read in the forum here on a reply that made it possible to use the phone again.

So what I am writing here is jail breaking seems to do more harm than good. Now I do have another iPhone 1st generation that I jail broke and that phone is fine.

Jmills87 said:
Jailbreaking is 100% harmless. There is absolutely no way to cause any permanent damage to your device by jailbreaking. Please do not comment on something you don't know about.

Boing Boing

Jmills87 said:
Jailbreaking is 100% harmless. There is absolutely no way to cause any permanent damage to your device by jailbreaking. Please do not comment on something you don't know about.

+1 jailbreaking is always reversible.