What's new

2G clearer than ipod 4g.

OneMarcil

Reaction score
It seems to me that the pictures that I take on my Apple 1st generation IPhone are much clearer than the pictures that I take using my 4th generation brand new Apple iPod touch.

I thought the newer the device the bette the pictures are supposed to be. To me the pictures taken on the iPod are a bit granie.

My iPhone 4 has crap for a camera too. The pics look ok on the phone, but send them to your email or copy them over to the PC to view and they look like they were taken with a $3 digital camera. Poor work Apple...

Crusher

I would think the newer the model the better the picture. I just purchased me a 64GB 4th generation IPod. I will see if Tge camera is any better on that IPod.

The iphone 2g has 2 megapixel camera and the 4th generation has 5 megapixel like the ipod 4 with HDR both iPhone and iPods touch all came out with same cameras if you noticing the iPhone 2g is taking better pictures there has to be something wrong turn your HDR option on.

Completely wrong, iPotter.

The iPod Touch 4G has an extremely low resolution camera, even lower res than the original iPhone. For still photos, it is only capable of 0.69MP (960x720). Videos fare a bit better at 0.92MP (1280x720). Yes, we ARE talking about the rear cam here. The facetime cam on the 4G Touch is VGA resoultion.

In other words, the 4G Touch should be EXPECTED to take lousy photos compared to the iPhone 2G. I truly believe that the ONLY purpose of the rear cam on the 4G Touch is so they could advertise "720p HD video recording" and add another bullet-point to the marketing literature.

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/specs.html

I would think the newer the model the better the picture. I just purchased me a 64GB 4th generation IPod. I will see if Tge camera is any better on that IPod.

It won't be. All iPod Touch 4Gs use the exact same low-res camera.

if you noticing the iPhone 2g is taking better pictures there has to be something wrong turn your HDR option on.

By the way, I don't think you understand what HDR is, either. It has nothing to do with the actual quality/resolution of the photo. What happens in HDR mode is the phone takes 3 seperate photos when you snap a pic. One is overexposed, one is underexposed, and one uses normal exposure. To oversimplify, the 3 photos are "averaged" and the resulting image has a better dynamic range (area of luminance between the darkest and the lighest parts of a scene), hence the term HDR - "High Dynamic Range"

Really?!? Why would apple slack on the iPhone 4 camera Megapixels only mean how far u can blow the picture up, HDR you are getting multiple pictures cus u have that setting on regular and HDR will save to ur phone so 5 megapixel and HDR on will no way be worse then iPhone 1 2 or 3GS this shouldn't be even a difference of opinion with this iPhone 4 is one of the most expensive phone out there except the htc evo that has 8 megapixel but side by side pictures are the same. Believe me I do my home work on this stuff.

I have an old Canon G5 (5 mp) camera and the pictures are FAR superior to anything I can get with the iPhone 4. The picures are grainy in good light and even outside.
I've used the flash to "fill" the light on the face and it still looks poor quality on anything but the phone itself.

Not to mention that even though I am very careful to allow the camera time to focus, and sometimes touch the screen to make sure it focuses on the face, I still get a slightly out of focus picture. It looks fine on the phone, but on the PC even at it's native resolution, it looks blurred and slightly out of focus.

Crusher

I don't know for me I am amazed that the pictures I take on iPhone are almost as good as my nikon p90 with 12 megapixel
But also once u zoom in the camera is crap.

Really?!? Why would apple slack on the iPhone 4 camera Megapixels only mean how far u can blow the picture up, HDR you are getting multiple pictures cus u have that setting on regular and HDR will save to ur phone so 5 megapixel and HDR on will no way be worse then iPhone 1 2 or 3GS this shouldn't be even a difference of opinion with this iPhone 4 is one of the most expensive phone out there except the htc evo that has 8 megapixel but side by side pictures are the same. Believe me I do my home work on this stuff.

The OP is talking about the iPod Touch 4G.

Not the iPhone 4.

I've taken pictures with both the iPhone 4 & iPod Touch 4G. The picture quality is better on the iPhone 4 for sure, but I've recorded videos with both of them and they both seem to have the same quality.

I've taken pictures with both the iPhone 4 & iPod Touch 4G. The picture quality is better on the iPhone 4 for sure, but I've recorded videos with both of them and they both seem to have the same quality.

That is because both of them record video at 720p (1280x720)

The difference is that the iPhone 4 can take still pictures at 5MP. The iPod Touch 4G is limited to 960x640; which is around 0.6MP

To be fair, I believe the only reason the iPod Touch 4G has a rear camera is to make it a viable video recording device. Another selling point, if you know what I mean.

iPotter, I'm sorry it is extremely hard to decipher what you have typed here.

You seem to have assumed that the OP is talking about the iPhone 4, or you havn't really done your homework and you don't know that the iPod touch 4G has a very diffrent camera than the iPhone 5.

The iPod 4G's camera is very low quality, below 1MP. That is why the OP is noticing iPhone 2G takes better still pictures.

The advantages of the iPod 4G are that it has a faster shutter time and video recording.

Also, I dont understand why you keep bringing up HDR photos. No one mentioned those, but they can make pictures look better as long as you have time to keep everything in the frame still for the 3 shutters of the camera to occur.

Oops I thought it was 5 megapixel but it's 5x optic zoom for iPod my mistake sorry guys I knew I read it but I read it wrong oh well.