What's new

20mb Limit on Download? :(

PHONEGUY

Reaction score
does anyone on sprint have the same issue as me. i can't seem to download more than 20mb from the appstore while on 3g. and i don't know why. i thought sprint was unlimited

[Moderator edit: cleaned up title and post language.]

Last edited by a moderator:
does anyone on sprint have the same issue as me. i can't seem to download more than 20mb from the appstore while on 3g. and i don't know why. i thought sprint was
unlimited wtf..:(

It's not your carrier it's apple. I am also unlimited but also cannot download over 20mb via 3G. It has something to do with there will be too much traffic in the air to cope. WHATEVER! You can jailbreak your phone and use my 3G and it thinks everything is wireless but if you're not jail broke then you're stuck with apples T&C over app download restrictions.

iHolophyte

It's not your carrier it's apple. I am also unlimited but also cannot download over 20mb via 3G. It has something to do with there will be too much traffic in the air to cope. WHATEVER! You can jailbreak your phone and use my 3G and it thinks everything is wireless but if you're not jail broke then you're stuck with apples T&C over app download restrictions.

iHolophyte

thank's but can you provide a link to were i can info for JB on my 4s running the latest version of ios? i really need to download more than just a mere 20mb that's a joke.

thank's but can you provide a link to were i can info for JB on my 4s running the latest version of ios? i really need to download more than just a mere 20mb that's a joke.

hopefully with 4G data speeds we will officially be allowed to download files over 20mb but for me even after using 3g un restrictor the download lagged so badly I ended up using a wifi connection any way.

No Jailbreak available for the 4S as of yet... gonna have to hook up to Wifi for those 20MB+ downloads.

getting pretty pissed with this phone now. every time i try to do something that my other phone can do. this phone won't/can't do it. hell i pay for my mins and my data every month. i should be able to use MY stuff that i pay for when i want. and not when the os wants me to. i.e. like only on wifi crap. most folks usually browse the app store when thier away from home most of the time. so this whole 20mb+ download only via wifi is stupid. my new motto for apple is "yes we can't"

getting pretty pissed with this phone now. every time i try to do something that my other phone can do. this phone won't/can't do it. hell i pay for my mins and my data every month. i should be able to use MY stuff that i pay for when i want. and not when the os wants me to. i.e. like only on wifi crap. most folks usually browse the app store when thier away from home most of the time. so this whole 20mb+ download only via wifi is stupid. my new motto for apple is "yes we can't"

Wifi spots are widely available and browsing the app store is something I usually do while at home rather then out and about. for every day usage 3G is plenty, for maps or for browsing the web even and then saving the large downloads for home like app store upgrades or downloads.. but even then you get so many wifi spots that you end up being connected to a wifi spot unless you go into the middle of nowhere or a motorway/long driving.

It's not apple that puts that restriction.. it's the carrier, so even if you buy a new phone you will still have those restrictions, you should be blaming your carrier, not apple. unlimited 3g data is not a must for every one and some are happy even with 500mb of data but even while I use wifi for the larger download I still end up using over 4GB of data monthly for youtube videos or checking email and so on..

even if you where allowed to download files over 20mb the speeds would lag badly and you end up getting frustrated any way and using a wifi connection for the larger downloads. Try "3G unrestrictor" from cydia, this allows you to download files over 20mb and use facetime over a 3G connection.

A lot of the time people blame apple for these features that lack but some times it really is not apples fault. This is one of those times. You could argue that other devices have 4G speeds but how many countries/carriers or places even get a 4G signal?

it's 100% not the carrier i have 4 lines with sprint 2 iphone4s and 1 samsung GS2 and 1 nextel line. both my iphones won't download more 20MB from the store. now my GS2 will download anything i want even if it's way more than 20mb. so i don't see how it can be a carrier issue if my other phone works perfect. i have a friend who has the same issue on att. and verizon all with iphones. so go figure.

does the sprint carrier use a 3G or 4G connection?

does your friend try the ATT sim on another phone and try download those 20mb+ files?

or is it because sprint offers 4G and is able to take off that 20mb download limit and the iphone 4S does not have 4G yet..

I am betting if you try the same with ATT it wont let him download files over 20mb with any phone.

Unleashed said:

does your friend try the ATT sim on another phone and try download those 20mb+ files?

or is it because sprint offers 4G and is able to take off that 20mb download limit and the iphone 4S does not have 4G yet..

I am betting if you try the same with ATT it wont let him download files over 20mb with any phone.

It's apple. I had a driod x on Verizon and could download any size file. I can't with this iPhone.

no 4g in my area everything is done via 3g signal. if I may ask you. can you down an app from the store on 3g that's more than 20mb with your iphone???

no 4g in my area everything is done via 3g signal. if I may ask you. can you down an app from the store on 3g that's more than 20mb with your iphone???

well actually when I downloaded an app "superman" it let me download a file around 30mb as an update but I cant really download files from the app store that are over 20mb, no

BUT I do all of my downloading while on a wifi connection any way and even while out and about there are thousands of wifi spots that I am always connected to.. not that I want to sit there on my device downloading while out, I am happy just browsing the web or using irc while in the car on long journeys so the whole 20mb thing really does not bother me.

would I dump my iphone because of it? never. But if its a deal breaker for you then you should maybe look into other devices maybe even sell or give away your iphone? you should get what works for you and what you need the phone for.

your 100% right i should get what works for me. which is why i use my GS2 most of the time, and i did buy the 4s mostly
because it was a sentimental buy. due to the passing of stevie. but i never thought that ios would restrict my data. it's my data
i paid for it and i should be able to use it were and when i want to. not all of use have access to wifi hot spots 24hrs a day like you.
if i did have access to a wifi spot 24/7 then why buy an iphone. when i can just get a ipod touch and just use skype and have no phone bill.

your 100% right i should get what works for me. which is why i use my GS2 most of the time, and i did buy the 4s mostly
because it was a sentimental buy. due to the passing of stevie. but i never thought that ios would restrict my data. it's my data

It is very sad indeed that steve passed but you could still probably sell it for a decent amount of $, I know some one who got $700 for their iphone 4S 16GB white model and could of probably got more for it.

i paid for it and i should be able to use it were and when i want to. not all of use have access to wifi hot spots 24hrs a day like you. if i did have access to a wifi spot 24/7 then why buy an iphone. when i can just get a ipod touch and just use skype and have no phone bill.

You are using arguments I used to use in 2007 after the first iphone was released, it was a lot more restricted back then and I went back to nokia for all those features and then suddenly all those features and reasons I had for moving away from apple became reasons why I moved back to apple after the ip4. I moved back for features such as bluetooth send/receive ..etc

I know not every one has wifi spots where they live but even with my unlimited data and the 20mb download limit I still manage to use up over 10GB of data in a month. sure it would be NICE but i just save all my large downloading for home or when I am on a wifi spot. you know skype works on a 3G connection as well? you dont need to jailbreak for that one, so the whole buying it to use skype and make free calls? well then you could just use viber and make the free calls/texts, that is a free app in the app store that allows you to make free calls and texts to any one using it.. and yes it works on a 3G connection.. so if money is the problem then there is some solutions right there, but I am happy to pay my phone bill and not every one I know uses skype or viber.

you can even get the ipod touch for 330 for the 64GB model but you still wont be able to download the files over 20mb. So there are many options out there for you, you should take your time and decide instead of rushing out and buying devices and make sure 100% it has what you need and is able to do things that you cant live with out or are deal breakers for you. I have best of both worlds and own an android LG 3D device and windows and mac machines.