What's new

2 questions to help me use an iphone

mipak

Reaction score
hello,
have just been an iphone of which i know nothing about but i have 2 problems:

one:
from what i can see, my internet connection appears to be showing on my home network.
going into settings > wi-fi
shows a tick next to my internet connection name then a closed padlock then a dot below 2 semicircles.
at the top of the screen, it shows 'no service', a dot below 2 semicircles, the time, bluetooth icon & a full battery icon.

two:
to do with facetime ...
settings > facetime
I was told to simply add email addresses relating to those i'd like to chat with in facetime ...
i tapped an email address and hit 'return' on the keyboard section which then went off the screen ...
then the first part of her email was on-screen followed by 'verifying...'
after a little while there was no change so i repeated the excerise. after about 8 hours later, it was still trying to 'verify.
would i be right in thinking that the 'no service' at the top of the screen has got something to do with it?

three:
how do i get the sim card out? i tried it using the paperclip but that didn't help.

any ideas, help or suggestions as to how to get my "new" bit of kit working would very much appreciated.
my thanks in advance.

Welcome to iPhone Forums, mipak!

The no service notice at the top left of the screen means that the SIM card is not active and you can't connect to the cellular system. Do you have a cellular service contract or plan?

To remove the SIM card, insert the paper clip in the hole in the SIM card tray and push. The tray should pop out enough to grasp and pull it out the rest of the way. Check to make sure that the SIM card is properly seated. When it is, replace the SIM card tray by inserting it into the slot until it's flush with the case. If it still says no service, contact your cellular provider.

FaceTime should work over WiFi, even if you have no cellular signal.

Last edited:
hello scifan57,
many thanks for your reply.
it explains a lot and has helped a great deal.
thank you again and take care.