What's new

When does battery shut off??

EWyatt

Reaction score
At what approximate percentage of battery life will the iPhone 4 shut itself down? And when it does, will this somehow hurt or affect the phone's software/hardware?

I ask this because almost every web site on lithium ion batteries state that the batteries are not affected by memory, etc. Nevertheless, for some strange reason, they say to let the battery drain down to almost zero, occasionally. Incredible. Comments please to this never-ending issue. Thanks.

Mine shuts down when the battery % display shows 1% and I let it run down at least once a month. I doubt doing so corrupts software or damages hardware, I have had no issues restarting the iPhone after letting the battery run down. When the % display shows 1% there is enough "reserve juice" left in the battery to properly shut down. One reason for running it down is to keep the battery meter calibrated.

Last edited:
I have never ever let mine run down bellow 10% and you belive or not my battery is great and kalibrating thing is real good as i restart sometimes softreset my phone right after every full charge, and my phone is about 6months old. Here is what i have nowadays like battery life:
7b797db5-42d1-f98d.jpg

The reason that it shuts off at 1% is to protect the battery from being fully discharged. I'm sure it's safe to do so or Apple wouldn't have designed it that way. As you say, it's the procedure that Apple recommends for your battery. There is no harm or risk of loss of data because it's a controlled shutdown and there is still significant charge left in the battery.

My only problem with this is that once I let the phone discharge to the point of shutdown I'm stuck with an unusable "dead" phone until it's charged again. I don't like the idea of that.

Thanks for the comments on battery percentages. I went down to 3% on my phone yesterday and just couldn't stand it any more!! Had to recharge!! All's well, and I agree with bab2010, that 10% will do fine.

Thanks for the comments on battery percentages. I went down to 3% on my phone yesterday and just couldn't stand it any more!! Had to recharge!! All's well, and I agree with bab2010, that 10% will do fine.

So you also never let your battery run down till it off by it self? They said that it's advice to do so once in a month. But i don't follow it at all.

A good lithium battery can keep long, I always like the kind lithium battery.

Last edited:
Mine shuts down when the battery % display shows 1% and I let it run down at least once a month. I doubt doing so corrupts software or damages hardware, I have had no issues restarting the iPhone after letting the battery run down. When the % display shows 1% there is enough "reserve juice" left in the battery to properly shut down. One reason for running it down is to keep the battery meter calibrated.

Couldn't of said it better myself...