What's new

iPhone5S turning itself off when exposed to cold air for even a minute or less.

NYKrumrie

Reaction score
I have an ip5s that was running 7.1 until yesterday. I live in NYC & its been damn cold here the last few weeks. I sometime want to take pictures of the snow in the park or whatever. I'll have my phone, it has 60-90% battery life. On many occasions over the last few weeks I can take my phone out of my jacket pocket & open the camera & by the time I take a shot or two the phone shuts itself down with no warning. I even have a very basic case on it. I know cold weather can effect the battery as it can sap its power. It's cold when this happens like 9-20F degrees but it will shut down while its in my hand. I had a ip4s & went camping in 20F degree weather. If I left the phone out for a few mins the power would go from 80% to 40% pretty fast. I put the phone in my jacket next to my body. In a few mins it was warm again & the battery power went back up again. This problem with my ip5s I thought maybe i had low battery power & the cold drained it to the point it turned off. But when I got home it was warm again. I turned it on & it had over 60% power. I've since gone out to test this issue. I make sure I have 100-80% power & each time the phone shuts down in a minute or less when out of my pocket. So questions are: Does anyone else have a similar problem? Is the ip5s just very sensitive to cold? Why would the cold drain my ip4s power but not cause it to abruptly turn off like the ip5s?

This problem appeared on the iPhone 5 I was using a couple of years ago but hasn't reappeared since. When the problem did appear, it was just like you describe.

My iPhone 5 was one of the ones with a defective battery so you might want to take your 5S in for a Genius Bar appointment to see if there's anything wrong with your battery.

Wow that is interesting to know. I guess I'm not the only one who has had this issue. I'll definitely go to the Genius bar & have them check it out. Thanks for the tip. :)

I gave my husband my 5s and he reports it shuts down occasionally in very cold weather.

A battery that is shorted will act just as you described. and when it is warm it is normal size and though it is weaker than a good "normal" battery, it is still weaker. But when it gets cold, the battery contracts and causes either internal issues or, where it plugs into the MotherBoard (MB) it creates a poorer contact.. I have fixed several like this when I lived up north. I would install a high capacity battery as long as I had the phones open.