What's new

Verizon Unlimited Data Plan...Adios

Well, if I have to I will just pay for a new phone off of ebay. I won't give Verizon anymore money. That is if my iphone doesn't last long.

I called verizon just now (and I know that reps normally have no idea what they are talking about), and the lady told me that as long as you have the unlimited data package right now, you WILL NOT LOOSE it!!! Not after contract, not upgrading to a smartphone, not adding stuff to your plan.

She said that the only way you will loose it is if...
1. You switch to a regular phone that doesn't require data
2. You ask to come off the unlimited plan

basically unless willingly "give up" your unlimited data plan, you will get to keep it!

However ill never take a bullet for what a "rep" says, but it sounds promising, so lets hope so!

xesvuli420 said:
I called verizon just now (and I know that reps normally have no idea what they are talking about), and the lady told me that as long as you have the unlimited data package right now, you WILL NOT LOOSE it!!! Not after contract, not upgrading to a smartphone, not adding stuff to your plan.

She said that the only way you will loose it is if...
1. You switch to a regular phone that doesn't require data
2. You ask to come off the unlimited plan

basically unless willingly "give up" your unlimited data plan, you will get to keep it!

However ill never take a bullet for what a "rep" says, but it sounds promising, so lets hope so!

That's exactly wat I was told by another rep... That if u have unlimited and choose to upgrade u won't lose it at all... I read this on a couple of sites and I called Verizon to confirm... :)

Thanks for the info.....my wife was going to give up her blackberry and unlimited plan..now I will make sure she does not do that !!

i was furious because i thought this would apply to me. I wanted to get the data plan next week because my iPhone hadn't arrived at my house yet. I called and they said if you talk to the right person, they can give you the unlimited plan for $30 if it's within the next week or two. But, I was safe anyway because I'm under a Business account. That's still $30 for the unlimited data

I read the text below at http://techmento.com/2011/06/21/verizon-cancels-unlimited-data-plan/ and I'm wondering if that counts even if you renew your contract

"Now, if you are already covered under an unlimited plan, don’t worry- your plan will be valid until your contract is up. Unfortunately however, all new users (and those renewing their contracts) will suffer the tiered price plans."

Last edited:
No that is not true, if you have a data package you get to keep it until you change it!!!

The new crap only applies to new customers, or people who switch devices... Ie going from blackberry to iOS, or android, etc!

So, if my wife and myself now have iPhones on the Unlimited Plan and in 2 years, we would have to keep the iPhones we now have for another 2 years to keep the unlimited going? What if we upgrade after the two years are up? Like we get newer iPhones.
Hopefully this tier thing ends in 2 years or another provider will offer a iPhone or possibly a better phone by then.

No no no, you can upgrade iPhones as many times as you want, unless you switch brands you keep it... Again this is according to "reps"

No no no, you can upgrade iPhones as many times as you want, unless you switch brands you keep it... Again this is according to "reps"

All I have is my personal experience to go by, so I'm not trying to start an argument by any means. I think that any change, device or contract, allows them to change the terms and you would be on the new tiered plan. As long as you just continue on month to month with your old phone and old contract nothing will change. My two cents.

DaveM said:
All I have is my personal experience to go by, so I'm not trying to start an argument by any means. I think that any change, device or contract, allows them to change the terms and you would be on the new tiered plan. As long as you just continue on month to month with your old phone and old contract nothing will change. My two cents.

Hope that's not the case!

This has always been the case with contracts you upgrade you stay on what you had before. What reps try and do these days is switch your phone so you loose some of your contract I.e less minutes, less data. If you have a smart phone with everything on it for peanuts then you have to upgrade to a smart phone again to keep the package! There will only be maybe 1 or 2 smart phones available so they'll say upgrade to this then they can take things off you! I've had a phone since the dot and it's always been this way. This is why you should choose a phone wisely and not because you like the colour!

So Im coming from my regular smartphone to an iPhone maybe around Sept when the iPhone 5 comes out. Everyone Ive talked to has basically told me that upgrading after the 7th of this month means I lose my unlimited plan. I was going to go out of my way to upgrade before that but then I found out that the iPhone 5 is supposed to come out in Sept. Why upgrade now when I can wait another two and a half months? I guess well find out then whether or not I keep my unlimited data plan.