What's new

Upgrading yet keeping unlimited data

tator22

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals hoping someone can give me a quick reply, been through the site looked but just want a clear cut answer now that the iphone 5 has been out. I am on a plan with my mom and dad where we share 2100 minutes. They both have basic phones no data. I have a Droid Pro that I have the unlimited data plan that I was able to get 2 years ago when I signed up for my phone (also have unlimited texting if that makes any difference). My contract is up along with my moms. My question is in this case is there a way I could keep my unlimited data yet receive the iphone 5 at the discount price? My mom just wants a basic phone for her next one no data, the same with my dad when his contract is up in December.

Rundown---

Phone A Basic, contract is up (mom)
Phone B basic, contract is up in December (dad)
Phone C unlimited data, contract is up (mine)

Not unless you can find a service rep that is willing to bend the rules for you. Which is possible.

As of right now VZW has publicly stated, as well as updated their documents on the web, that if you get a subsides smart phone you will be moved to the Family Data Share plan. The only way to keep unlimited data is to buy the phone at the retail price.

Probably your best bet is to get on the data share plan. Here's a tip, ask Mom or Dad to show you the bill. Take a look and see how much data you and your dad are currently using. Unless you're constantly streaming music or using wifi hot spots you may be surprised at how little data you actually use. 4GB is actually a lot of data.

Also if you have a wireless network in your home use it. Mine is always on wifi.

I forgot to mention we are on the 2100 nationwide shared plan. 2100 minutes shared a month between all of us. I'm the only one that has unlimited text and unlimited data. What's the chances of having a sals rep bend the rules to make this work? I know how much data I use a month and it's over 2G.

No clue. I have only heard scattered stories of people pulling it off.

That's the one prop I like about Verizon. Most of the representatives are willing to give you a direct contact number for any future questions. Or if you find a rep that's very smooth and easy going, get their number immediately. I have a rep that bent the rules for me when I was upgrading one of my lines and retaining the unlimited data and to be quite frank, there're 5 separate occasions in which he helped us on our terms (all legal procedures). We still got the discounted price and we kept our unlimited data. I'll see if I can pull up the number in my Gmail address book or on my iPhone. You can give him a direct call at his office and he'll be able to do it. Mind you that on occasion, under extraneous circumstances, he'll ask you to contact his cell since they do record some of the calls and he'll do it from there.

That's the one prop I like about Verizon. Most of the representatives are willing to give you a direct contact number for any future questions. Or if you find a rep that's very smooth and easy going, get their number immediately. I have a rep that bent the rules for me when I was upgrading one of my lines and retaining the unlimited data and to be quite frank, there're 5 separate occasions in which he helped us on our terms (all legal procedures). We still got the discounted price and we kept our unlimited data. I'll see if I can pull up the number in my Gmail address book or on my iPhone. You can give him a direct call at his office and he'll be able to do it. Mind you that on occasion, under extraneous circumstances, he'll ask you to contact his cell since they do record some of the calls and he'll do it from there.

I have never had a rep give me a direct number. I have been told that I can ask another rep to send them an email but direct line?

One guy had an extension but he wouldn't give me the number.

I finally got a direct line when I sent an email to the Customer Service V.P. in my area. I received a call and she said she was from executive offices. She handled the replacement of my phone and gave me her number just in case anybody tried to charge me for damages.

The next day when the phone came that was the first call I made and she answered. I don't know how you did it but I don't believe it's Verizon's policy for a rep to give out a number unless you start climbing the ladder.

One was the SVP who gave me his direct number just like in your situation. The next one was the direct office line because I filed the survey with his supervisor on the line since the call lasted almost 3 hours, so he just wanted to make sure everything was okay. In the end I got both of their numbers and I could call them at their times or email if I wanted. They were smooth but this was almost 2 years ago, so they might've gotten strict on their policy

Guys,
This is a simple answer. I am in the same situation, 2 dumb phones and 2 smart phones with unlimited data on vzw. You get the iphone upgrade on the dumb phone, once it arrives you activate on your smart phone's line by activating by way of vzw.com. No extra charges and you keep your unlimited data.

jollyblueman said:
Guys,
This is a simple answer. I am in the same situation, 2 dumb phones and 2 smart phones with unlimited data on vzw. You get the iphone upgrade on the dumb phone, once it arrives you activate on your smart phone's line by activating by way of vzw.com. No extra charges and you keep your unlimited data.

But won't you now have a data plan on your dumb phone account?

There's no bending rules to make this work. You just have to be specific. All you say to a VZW rep is that you want to upgrade one of the basic phones to a smartphone. Don't mention any switching around that you want to do until the upgrade is finished. Once, the upgrade is complete, simply ask them to put the new smartphone on your existing line and reactivate the basic phone that was just on that line used for the upgrade. This way you didn't do anything wrong, all you did was upgrade a basic phone and did a "device change" to your line with the new smartphone which in the end preserves your unlimited data. Be careful by doing this because by activating a new smart phone on your account, you will incur the $30 data plan instantly on your next bill on top of a $30 upgrade fee.

Sent from my iPhone 5S

Hey guys and gals hoping someone can give me a quick reply, been through the site looked but just want a clear cut answer now that the iphone 5 has been out. I am on a plan with my mom and dad where we share 2100 minutes. They both have basic phones no data. I have a Droid Pro that I have the unlimited data plan that I was able to get 2 years ago when I signed up for my phone (also have unlimited texting if that makes any difference). My contract is up along with my moms. My question is in this case is there a way I could keep my unlimited data yet receive the iphone 5 at the discount price? My mom just wants a basic phone for her next one no data, the same with my dad when his contract is up in December.

Rundown---

Phone A Basic, contract is up (mom)
Phone B basic, contract is up in December (dad)
Phone C unlimited data, contract is up (mine)

I just pulled it off. I added a line with a basic phone then the Verizon rep switches it out for the smart phone at the subsidized price. Then takes the smart phone and switches it right over to my line. In your case you would simply use your moms basic line to get the smart phone u want at the subsidized price then simply swap it by putting her dumb phone back on and putting the new smart phone on your already existing line hence keeping your unlimited data plan. Works like a charm. My VZ rep did it for me no problem.

I had to purchase my iPhone 5 at full price to keep my unlimited data.....