What's new

Unresponsive touch screen

Completelylost

Reaction score
So since last night my iPhone 6 screen has been playing up badly.
It continuously freezes and won't work unless I reboot my phone (sometimes that doesn't even work)
It's working at this current moment (thankfully) but does anyone have some ideas on what may be causing it and whether I can easily fix it?

So I've noticed that the freezing generally happens when I start opening apps such as Instagram, snapchat etc. this morning I haven't had to reboot my phone. When it freezes I just turn it on standby and then turn it on again and it allows me to swipe and put my passcode it but then freezes seconds later (minutes if I'm lucky)- this will work 6/10 times.
I've wiped my screen and I'll find something else to give it a good clean with. Will putting a screen protector on help? I use to have one on but it started to come off when it got caught on my work pants so it's been off for months and I've been too lazy to go and buy a new one.

I've seen people suggest a full system restore, but have also noticed people say it doesn't always work... I would rather that be the very last resort as I have a lot of information in text messages that I require for work and I will lose all of that!

The weather here has been extremely hot lately too, but suddenly cold so I'm not sure whether that could have caused this to happen temporarily?

Any tips would be much appreciated!!!
Thank-you!

Has your iPhone recently updated to iOS 10.2.1

Could be, but don't do anything until other members come on board

Namely J.A. and Sci-fi

So since last night my iPhone 6 screen has been playing up badly.
It continuously freezes and won't work unless I reboot my phone (sometimes that doesn't even work)
It's working at this current moment (thankfully) but does anyone have some ideas on what may be causing it and whether I can easily fix it?

So I've noticed that the freezing generally happens when I start opening apps such as Instagram, snapchat etc. this morning I haven't had to reboot my phone. When it freezes I just turn it on standby and then turn it on again and it allows me to swipe and put my passcode it but then freezes seconds later (minutes if I'm lucky)- this will work 6/10 times.
I've wiped my screen and I'll find something else to give it a good clean with. Will putting a screen protector on help? I use to have one on but it started to come off when it got caught on my work pants so it's been off for months and I've been too lazy to go and buy a new one.

I've seen people suggest a full system restore, but have also noticed people say it doesn't always work... I would rather that be the very last resort as I have a lot of information in text messages that I require for work and I will lose all of that!

The weather here has been extremely hot lately too, but suddenly cold so I'm not sure whether that could have caused this to happen temporarily?

Any tips would be much appreciated!!!
Thank-you!
Do you get a flickering grey bar at the top of the screen?

First of all:
Make sure there's a most recent backup.

You told us that several apps are causing that problem. Remove them from your iPhone, and see if that helps.

First of all:

You told us that several apps are causing that problem. Remove them from your iPhone, and see if that helps.
I tried deleting and reinstalling them this morning which helped for a short time but it's occurring in everything now; settings, Safari, messaging, calling.

First of all:

I've deleted a bunch of apps now and my phone hasn't frozen for about 20 minutes.
I'm going to keep the apps off my phone for the rest of the night.
If it turns out this was the cause. Would that be the apps being too much for my phone which is behind in updates (I still want to avoid the latest iPhone update) or would it be a memory issue?

I've deleted a bunch of apps now and my phone hasn't frozen for about 20 minutes.
I'm going to keep the apps off my phone for the rest of the night.
If it turns out this was the cause. Would that be the apps being too much for my phone which is behind in updates (I still want to avoid the latest iPhone update) or would it be a memory issue?
AAAAND it didn't last. Not the apps by the looks of it

I'm going to keep posting updates here incase someone else encounters the same issue. Because I don't want to do a full system reset and lose things on my phone.

I'm currently trying out the "iPhone reset all settings" and for now it's working completely fine. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few hours and see how it goes, then hopefully I can reinstall a couple of my apps.

I'm determined to find an alternative way to fix this!!!!
Thank you guys for the responses!

Do you live close enough to an Apple store to make a Genius Bar appointment to have a diagnistic run in your iPhone? What you've been describing is not a regular bug as if it were, many more people would be experiencing the same problem.

Do you live close enough to an Apple store to make a Genius Bar appointment to have a diagnistic run in your iPhone? What you've been describing is not a regular bug as if it were, many more people would be experiencing the same problem.
Not quite. I can make the travel if I needed to buy I'm going away tomorrow and will be hours away from any store, so wouldn't be able to get in until next week.
But after resetting the settings without losing any data, I've been able to use my phone non stop for the past 3 hours with absolutely no issue! Hopefully I've found a solution that will work for a short time at least!