What's new

unknowingly bought a company phone, now i cant access home screen

deadiphone

Reaction score
Hey guys. long time iPhone user. pretty much had almost every version. love the product. I've bought phones online, and off of craigs many of times and never had an issue till now!!!

so I bought an iPhone 5se brought it home and restored it to factory settings only to find out its a company phone. after I enter my wifi password and disable location services the phone started to configure and now it says ( Company name will automatically configure your iPhone ) I click next and then it's ask's for the company login username and password.

I have no idea what to do ? I tried calling the guy who sold it to me, but there is no luck as his phone Is now disconnected !!!!!

is there a way around it ? I was searching the web and found something called a icloud unlock but I'm not sure that this will fix my issue.

any direction to a positive solution would be much appreciated.

thanks guys

Don

Sounds like a shady seller - definitely make sure it isn't stolen before going any further. I'm sure there's a way to unlock it, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction.

I'm guessing there is no possible way.

My company has all of their Apple products registered with Apple.

Even if someone installs a new hard drive and OS, as soon as it "checks in" with Apple, the configuration like you mention begins.

The only way around it would be to replace the main board in the phone.

I checked with imeipro.info and everything came back clean. with all the advanced technology today, there has to be some kind of backdoor.

thanks for all the quick reply's, much appreciated.

I checked with imeipro.info and everything came back clean. with all the advanced technology today, there has to be some kind of backdoor.

I know this is a dumb thing to suggest, but I will anyway as it might work. Put the phone into recovery or DFU mode. If you don't know how to do that, I will go ahead and walk through the process. Recovery is slightly easier because the phone will display a lightning cable icon and an iTunes logo if you have successfully entered recovery, DFU will not. Power off the phone, wait about 15 seconds after the screen goes dark and then press the Home and lock button AT THE SAMS TIME for 5 seconds. Continue to hold the home button after 5 seconds but release the lock button. Continue holding the home button until the images mentioned previously, display on the screen. From there on, plug the phone into your computer and follow the on screen instructions. It'll download a fresh version of the most current IOS (if your computer doesn't already have a copy of it stored) and it'll install that. Once it's done, activate the iPhone as you normally would. If the problem persists, I'd suggest getting in contact with apple support.

The device was enrolled in an MDM. It needs to be taken off the MDM. The only one who can do it is the admin for the company. Does it tell you which company ?

The iPhone obviously hasn't been erased completely, and it looks like it's locked to that company. If that's the case, unlocking services won't help, in spite of their promise. You won't be able to set it up or use it. Recovery mode or DFU mode won't help either.

Last edited:
Recovery mode, DFU mode, nothing you do will help you. Like sven691103 said, with MDM, the whole purpose is "mobile device management". Whatever company has full control of their device forever no matter what any end user tries to do. That prevents theft and whatever else. There is no way around it unless that company "de-enrolls" this device. You would need a new main board which would give it a different serial number.

The information is tied to the iPhone's IMEI, and stored on Apple's servers. So removing the main board won't help either. If possible, return the iPhone and ask for a refund.

If you bought the iPhone from a place like eBay, they have a very strong buyer protection plan which will give you a refund even if the seller refuses as long as the item is not as described in the listing. If you used PayPal or a credit card to pay for the iPhone, they also have very strong buyer protection plans that can get you a refund.

I'd get on to the company. Say you bought this device on eBay (you have the email proof) and that you didn't know it was locked. They'll be happy they get it back and give you a reward for it.

The company may not have reported it stolen as they may not know it is no longer in the possession of one of their employees. They (the company) would have the ability to clear the iPhone for you if it was a legitimate sale but Apple will not.
Apple is only going to do it for someone who can prove legal ownership and right now, that may not be you. There is no backdoor. Apple did a lot to prevent theft.