Touch Screen Not Responding Properly - Have to Double Tap Everything

Discussion in 'iPhone Help' started by ZivotSon, Jan 3, 2012.

1. ZivotSon

ZivotSon New Member

Hi. New to the forum and I did try searching first, but didn't see my issue raised.

I bought the iPhone 4S when it came out. It was working fine until this weekend. At first, I couldn't type in my password. I ultimately figured out that I had to tap the number I wanted to enter once, at which point a box would appear around the number (as if it was now highlighted), and then I had to double tap the number for it to be entered.

Once I got to the home screen, I have to repeat the same sequence. For example, to get on Safari, I have to tap it once, to get the box over it, and then double tap it to launch it. Wheher in Safari or mail or anywhere else, I cannot scroll up or down a page nor can I enlarge or shrink a page. For example, if it try to enlarge a page, it just places a rectangle box around some of the text on the screen.

The functions on the phone still work. I still receive calls and emails for example, but its impractical to use as I can't even scroll down to read an email I received.

My kids were playing Angry Birds on it before it stopped responding. They said it was working okay and they just decided to stop playing.

I tried the trouble shooting suggestions by apple (except for restore) but nothing has worked. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  2. bab2010

bab2010 Well-Known Member

Go to system> general> reset> reset all settings/ if that doesn't cure it then you will have to factory restore the iPhone.
  3. ZivotSon

ZivotSon New Member

Thank you very much. That did the trick.
  4. Daxfall

Daxfall New Member

Go to settings-general-VoiceOver and shut off VoiceOver should fix it.
  5. EWyatt

EWyatt Active Member

So what was it? The "factory restore" or the "reset all settings?"
  6. AngelSoleil

AngelSoleil New Member

Thank you so much for this thread, ZivotSon!!
    I encountered the same problem with my iPod Touch 3rd gen, and i've been trying ways to enter my passcode but in vain. Your method/solution saved me :)

Oh, and triple tap the Home button (which turn off 'voice over' feature and accessibility) can also take away the problem :)
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  7. James669

James669 New Member

Did anyone get to the bottom of this as I am having much the same problem, however, re-setting the phone (either using the buttons, or a reset in iTunes) only solves the issue you for anywhere from 5 mins to 5 hours - then I'm back to no touchscreen.
    I have just done a factory restore, at at the moment it is fine which suggests it was a app. However, how, without adding each of the 50+ apps one at a time, can I work out which one is the issue?
    I'm away on business, so there is no way I can get my provider to send out a new handset to where I am (currently Moscow), so any help anyone can give would be a great help.
    Oh, just to give a little background, this started about a week ago, on and off, and I have subsequently upgraded to iOS6 with the same fault following.

Thanks again if anyone has answers.