What's new

So SHould i Jailbreak, Whos done it

So if/WHEN I jailbreak my phone...do the apps I download back up to my iTunes also when I sync up my phone? Also, what happens when there are updates to the phone, does it render apps broken until an update? Would the jailbreak itself then also need an update?

Last edited:
You can still sync with iTunes, you just have to be VERY careful when the iTunes updates are going down. The best way to handle the updates is to undo the JB and accept the update when you are ready. Many wait until the update already has a new JB version in place. Accepting the update while still JB can cause some pretty annoying issues with the phone and should be avoided pretty much at all costs. Sometimes it will just install and knock out the JB, other times it can lock out the phone and you've got to get some heavier time invested into getting it back up and running again.

So in short, yes, still sync, but must watch for iTunes updates.

Does accepting the firmware update automatically undo the JB?

Also, what kind of annoying issues can happen if you update the firmware while being jailbroken?

I used greenpois0n to jailbreak mine and it was very simple!

What about backing up anything? I thought I've read somewhere about thta you should back up some files or something of the sort. the only things that come to mind are kernals or similaar but I wanna say that was for android.

And I am not meaning items such as contacts, songs, pictures, app or the sort but registry/system files or something.

I have greenpoison downloaded and ready to go justs want to make I have everything in order prior to going for it.

Well, went ahead just did it using greenpoison. Went very easy. Was surprised on the first attempt, didn't have the phone in hand and ready before the 3 second count ended so I hurried and unplugged the phone, let GP run its coourse and then started over this time with phone in hand and ready to depress the buttons as necessary.

It created a couple of files on the desktop, both with N92 in the suffix. And it did not erase anything that I already had on there. It almost seemed as if there was no other effect other than loading on the "loader".

Ran "loader" and installed cydia. Let's see where this goes from here.

FYI, on a PC 64 bit running Windows 7, if that matters or not.

Heck yes jailbreak it... With cydia,, there is so much stuff to get,, ringtones, customization for your springboard.. And theres installous. Just like the app store, but everything is free and it lets you know when the updates are available.. I was iffy about jailbreaking my at first but i went ahead and did it and wondered why i waited so long..

Ok, so it looks as if Jailbreaking your Iphone 4 is a good thing.

Simple, numbered questions....

1. Are we Jailbreaking with Cydia or with Greenpoison? Where do we get either of theme?
2. Once you break (say with greenpoinson), can you bring your phone back to stock in case of warranty issues?
3. Once you break, can you still use the Apple Apps store?
4. What is the biggest worry when you Jailbreak? I mean there has to be a down side.
5. Where do we get Cydia or Greenpoison?

Sorry, very new to the Jailbreaking thing. Feel like an infant when I'm talking about it.

Ok, so it looks as if Jailbreaking your Iphone 4 is a good thing.

Simple, numbered questions....

1. Are we Jailbreaking with Cydia or with Greenpoison? Where do we get either of theme?
Jailbreak with greenpoison, get it here --> Greenpois0n.com.

Cydia is more or less another appstore and is automatically installed during the JB.

2. Once you break (say with greenpoinson), can you bring your phone back to stock in case of warranty issues?
You can restore your phone back to factory using itunes

3. Once you break, can you still use the Apple Apps store?
Yes, the apple app store remains

4. What is the biggest worry when you Jailbreak? I mean there has to be a down side.
Not really sure at this time. But there are plenty of people with issues at this location --> Jailbreak QA

Although not all issues are verizon iphone 4 specific

5. Where do we get Cydia or Greenpoison?
see response to #1

Sorry, very new to the Jailbreaking thing. Feel like an infant when I'm talking about it.
Me too, but it was very easy to do and so far no issues.

My only problem was that most of the tweaks don't work on the Verizon iPhone. A few did and a bunch of others just messed up the os. I suppose it could be that most developers are on AT&T. Anyways, I opted to wait a while longer. I prefer to have a reliable iPhone that plays seamlessly with my computer and apple tv.

so let me get this straight.... The tweaks and the freaks don't work on big red's iphone??? That seems very strange.

Can anybody confirm this?

I would agree though, that's the only reason to go away from my Moto X. I want a phone that just works... with little fuss and great reliability. Thats what my imac gives me. I'm hoping that the iphone does as well.

I have Verizon iPhone 4 and everything I have put on my phone after Jailbreaking works fine. Just do your research. Watch YouTube videos and use google to get info on Cydia apps. The main reason I jailbroke my iPhone was for PdaNet. It allows you to use ur phone as a wireless access point to access the Internet. I use it with the iPad2 while traveling.

there are lots of downsides and plus sides.. but the more jailbreak continues there are more apps and reasons to do so rather then not to...

Last edited:
-=links removed=-- youtube has removed the video..

YouTube removed the video from that link.

Last edited by a moderator: