So SHould i Jailbreak, Whos done it

Discussion in 'Verizon iPhone' started by NYZ93, Feb 7, 2011.

1. NYZ93

NYZ93 New Member

So yea i have the software downloaded and ready to go im seriously contemplating it but idk, has anyone done it does it erase anything? are you able to free wifi tether? any problems? is there a way to revert back to stock??
  2. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I did it on my iPhone 3G last year, and never had any issues. It will erase everything, you will need to sync all your music, apps, and data back. When I had my phone jailbroken there was no free wireless tethering, only paid versions. My favorite was MyWi, which is a $10 one time fee but works awesome! You can easily revert it back to stock by either restoring it via iTunes, or flashing the 4.2.6 update with iTunes.
  3. brandct

brandct New Member

I jailbroke mine a few hours ago without a problem so far but I have not really took to much time to mess with Cydia yet. I need to learn a bit more about it.
  4. blackngray70

blackngray70 New Member

I jailbroke mine but I'm new to iPhone so I'm still playing with it.
  5. JTSVMktg

JTSVMktg New Member

Glad to finally be able to re jail break untethered!!!!!!!! I had been JB for some time but accidentally upgraded and lost JB only to be able to JB tethered the past month. Great except for being tied to the MAC in the office while having a PC at home. Love being JB and was able to JB untethered on Friday!

Been enjoying the freedom through this JB there are too many advantages through cydia to not be JB. If you need suggestions on cydia apps or tweaks ask away.

Enjoy true freedom and using your phone the real way it should be used.

John T.
  6. brandct

brandct New Member

I am always looking for tips and suggestions. I have never really messed with a jailbroken iPhone before, I have messed with rooted droids but this seems quite a bit different.
  7. jasvncnt1

jasvncnt1 New Member

I say jailbreak. It makes a world of difference. You can do so much more. And if for some crazy reason you don't want it JB anymore, just restore incraptunes back to fresh firmware.

Brandct Its really not that difficult. Its all in the tool you use. Just read up a bit. If you have rooted Droids and installed ROM's you shouldn't have a problem. The JB is kinda doing what ya did when you rooted on Droid. Gives you root access
  8. NYZ93

NYZ93 New Member

ok so about 10 min after i made this thread i jailbroke it :D it did not erase anything and took about 3 min im familiar with cydia and all that so i got to messing around right away
  9. j_rambo77

j_rambo77 New Member

Okay, newbie here. This is my first iphone and i am unsure of what tethered and untethered is. Is this jailbreak that greenpoison has out reversible? Just want to know for warranty purposes. Thanks guys
  10. DDustiNN

DDustiNN New Member

So it kept all of your apps, settings, contacts, etc? You didn't have to resync everything? If so, that's awesome, and could you point me to the guide/walkthrough you used? Hopefully it works on Windows 7 64-bit :D
  11. xRITE AIDEx

xRITE AIDEx New Member

I did the same so I am jailbroken, just dont know what to do next

And dustin it doesnt reset anything atleast it didn't for me
  12. NYZ93

NYZ93 New Member

i did it on mac so :/

and yes i kept EVERYTHING:)

i used greenpois0n
  13. Terreos

Terreos New Member

Since I'm new to jailbreaking the Iphone what's the difference to a TETHERED and UNTETHERED jailbreak?
  14. jkhonea

jkhonea New Member Staff Member

Basically, a tethered jailbreak requires you to be connected to a computer at each boot for the jailbreak to apply.

An untethered only has to be jailbroken one time, then it will start every time automatically without being physically connected in the future.

Tethered Jailbreak vs Untethered Jailbreak
  15. Terreos

Terreos New Member

Thank you. ;)
  16. jkhonea

You're very welcome. I'm getting a learning curve here coming over from the Droids as well, but interesting to see how the inner workings are happening.
  17. Terreos

Terreos New Member

You ain't kinding. I keep trying to long press to delete emails, sms, etc. But, so far I'm happy with the device. Everything seems to work just fine. Although there are a few options the phone can't do that I think it should. . .so a simple jailbreak should wet my pallet.
  18. jkhonea

From everything I've been hearing, if there's something you think the phone should do that it can't, Jailbreak it and the options will be there. I've been looking at screen shots of different tweaks and settings you can adjust in it and I'm floored.
  19. jasvncnt1

jasvncnt1 New Member

Thats the great thing about jailbreak. I tried Android before upgrading to the iphone 4. I missed a lot of my apps/tweaks i had on iphone. But was able to find similar apps for Android. I'm sure you'll be able to find things now that will be almost the same as Android
  20. j_rambo77

j_rambo77 New Member

I'm curious.....After you jailbreak can you still sync your iphone with itunes or do lose your JB if you do that?