What's new

So SHould i Jailbreak, Whos done it

You're very welcome. I'm getting a learning curve here coming over from the Droids as well, but interesting to see how the inner workings are happening.

You ain't kinding. I keep trying to long press to delete emails, sms, etc. But, so far I'm happy with the device. Everything seems to work just fine. Although there are a few options the phone can't do that I think it should. . .so a simple jailbreak should wet my pallet.

You ain't kinding. I keep trying to long press to delete emails, sms, etc. But, so far I'm happy with the device. Everything seems to work just fine. Although there are a few options the phone can't do that I think it should. . .so a simple jailbreak should wet my pallet.

From everything I've been hearing, if there's something you think the phone should do that it can't, Jailbreak it and the options will be there. I've been looking at screen shots of different tweaks and settings you can adjust in it and I'm floored.

Thats the great thing about jailbreak. I tried Android before upgrading to the iphone 4. I missed a lot of my apps/tweaks i had on iphone. But was able to find similar apps for Android. I'm sure you'll be able to find things now that will be almost the same as Android

I'm curious.....After you jailbreak can you still sync your iphone with itunes or do lose your JB if you do that?

You can still sync with iTunes, you just have to be VERY careful when the iTunes updates are going down. The best way to handle the updates is to undo the JB and accept the update when you are ready. Many wait until the update already has a new JB version in place. Accepting the update while still JB can cause some pretty annoying issues with the phone and should be avoided pretty much at all costs. Sometimes it will just install and knock out the JB, other times it can lock out the phone and you've got to get some heavier time invested into getting it back up and running again.

So in short, yes, still sync, but must watch for iTunes updates.

Yup, syncing is the same. When i get a prompt that there is a new firmware out for my phone i just cancel it. I never update firmware unless a JB is out

From everything I've been hearing, if there's something you think the phone should do that it can't, Jailbreak it and the options will be there. I've been looking at screen shots of different tweaks and settings you can adjust in it and I'm floored.

I normally don't do the whole "I think my phone should do this" but, when my old motorola Razr can do something my flashy iphone can't do because apple doesn't want to me to have that freedom. . .well you can guess the rest. :)

Overall, I like the phone. What I like the most about it over my droid so far is the screen. It's so much more responsive and accurate when pressing on a link. Nothing more satisfying than a touchscreen phone with a properly working touchscreen.

I normally don't do the whole "I think my phone should do this" but, when my old motorola Razr can do something my flashy iphone can't do because apple doesn't want to me to have that freedom. . .well you can guess the rest. :)

Overall, I like the phone. What I like the most about it over my droid so far is the screen. It's so much more responsive and accurate when pressing on a link. Nothing more satisfying than a touchscreen phone with a properly working touchscreen.

To be fair, there is A LOT you can't do on a Droid either until you root it. ;)

I know I've read up on it. The main reason I didn't was because I was so close to getting a new phone by the time I took interest that I figured I'd just wait. If I was getting another droid I would've to see how rooting worked. But, seeing I have brand new iphone I'm gonna make sure I get the most out of this device. :D

I know I've read up on it. The main reason I didn't was because I was so close to getting a new phone by the time I took interest that I figured I'd just wait. If I was getting another droid I would've to see how rooting worked. But, seeing I have brand new iphone I'm gonna make sure I get the most out of this device. :D

As much as we spend for phones now, I highly recommend it. I rooted my Incredible and ironically the ROM I run now is MIUI. It is designed to look like the iPhone. I like the clean feel of it and speed. Plus, it's fun to mess with people's heads. :D

As much as we spend for phones now, I highly recommend it. I rooted my Incredible and ironically the ROM I run now is MIUI. It is designed to look like the iPhone. I like the clean feel of it and speed. Plus, it's fun to mess with people's heads. :D

Fair enough on the price comment. So I gotta ask how many people asked you "Is that a new Iphone?"

OK, I'm gonna be the stupid one here. What exactly is "JailBreak" and what does it do and don't do for us new iPhone 4 users? Please, if someone has the patience, explain in elementary school kid language.

OK, I'm gonna be the stupid one here. What exactly is "JailBreak" and what does it do and don't do for us new iPhone 4 users? Please, if someone has the patience, explain in elementary school kid language.
Basically it allows you to install third party applications. When you jailbreak there is another app-store like application called Cydia, which is full of applications that you can not get on a stock iPhone. Those can range from wireless tethering applications to bypass the additional fee from the carriers, to the ability to install custom themes, tweaks, and more.

Wow... Initially, I was afraid to jailbreak my iPhone... let's just say I don't like to mess with things too much in general.

But holy crap... I just used greenpois0n's rc6.1... jailbroke the iphone... downloaded cydia... and just downloaded so many tweaks and apps... doing so many things that the iPhone should have come from the factory doing... it blows my mind.

biteSMS - so much better than Messages (quick reply, quick compose, and a bazillion different options)

Recent/CallLog Delete - You can delete individual calls from your Recent History call list - something every other phone on the planet can do.

Mark Read - You can mark emails as read/unread.

Home Page in Safari - You can set a home page.

SpringFlash - From any screen (including locked/asleep screen) you can set any button to activate your LED flash as a flashlight. (I set it so a short hold of the low volume button will activate and turn off the flash when the phone is locked - this way I have a way of using the flashlight without ever unlocking the phone - AWESOME)

SBSettings - you can swipe down from the notification bar up top and it will show a "dock" where you can have toggles for Wifi, bluetooth, Location, etc so you never have to go into Settings to turn all of that on or off anymore. Lots of other options too like hiding/un-hiding apps!

MyWi - Free Wifi Hot Spot.

Man... BLOWS MY MIND.

Anyone on the fence about jailbreaking their iPhone... I say do it. There are so many awesome things you can do... it's absolutely worth it.

One tip... after an app has been downloaded... or after a setting has been changed in any of your cydia apps... you may have to reboot the iPhone before you see the change or the change takes effect.

Also, Greenpois0n just released RC6.1 yesterday (Feb 18th) which is what I used to jailbreak my iPhone. I'm on Windows XP. And all seems great!

Last edited: