What's new

New to iphone

It might be a tough road with this phone. Seems slower than slow.

And I guess not all sim cards are the same as mine won't fit in my new phone.

Maybe I just don't like change.
The iPhone 7 Plus uses a nano SIM card. If your old phone uses a different size you can get a new SIM card from your cellular carrier.

It might be a tough road with this phone. Seems slower than slow.

And I guess not all sim cards are the same as mine won't fit in my new phone.

Maybe I just don't like change.

Welcome!

The switch is certainly challenging, but if you're open minded and willing it's doable! I did it a few weeks ago and have been enjoying iOS for the most part.

Just curious, but what Android device you coming from?

By slow, do you mean opening apps? Or in general while moving through the OS?

This certainly didn't deserve it's own thread and I didn't know where to post it, so I thought I'd share it with my friends of this thread [emoji6] It's off topic, so I apologize ...

Curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a Google Pixel XL from my local Best Buy. Been having Android withdrawals, I have to admit. My thoughts were - if I like it sell my iP7+ on Swappa and keep the Pixel XL and chalk up this dabbling with iOS as a failed experiment, if I don't like it, return and pay BB's $35 restocking fee and "rent" the phone for a few days. Well, got home last night and set it up and man, am I very underwhelmed!

First it doesn't feel premium IMO, not sure if it's because I'm coming from the iP7+ by way of the S7 Edge (both super premium feeling phones IMO), but it just lacks that premium build quality feeling.

Second the camera - by the time I got home it was getting dark, so I played outside with some dusk shots and inside with not so pleasant lighting conditions and 9 times out of 10 the iPhone 7+ pictures looked better to me (IMO I don't think neither phone can touch the S7 Edge low light pics).

Third - the speaker ... just plain TERRIBLE! Obviously no comparison to the dual setup on the iP7+ but pretty certain the S7 Edge was a touch louder and clearer (don't have the S7E anymore to do a side-by-side).

Finally the software - and this may be a combination of spending a long period of time on the S7 Edge followed by the iP7+, but it just felt ... blah. Which is hard to say coming from a guy that loved the "Vanilla" Android experience; there's just no real "wow" factor IMO. Perhaps seeing how Samsung got their feature-rich OS tweaks running smoothly as they did with the S7/S7 Edge spoiled me or perhaps it's because I opt not to root/ROM my Vanilla devices any more, but for the first several hours of playing with the Pixel I couldn't help but think to myself, "this is it?!".

Not trying to completely bash the device as it's certainly very fast and fluid, but I do think Google is out of their mind with the price point! This phone should be $400/$500 TOPS , not $800 ( and that's the 32GB XL variant no less! Tack on another $100 for the 128GB [emoji849]).

That all being said, there are still somethings I miss about Android... mostly the ease of getting what I want where I want and getting the files I need/want on it with ease. Had all my custom ringtones and notification sounds downloaded from Google Drive to the device and assigned to their respective contact/app in about 10-15 minutes. A feat that's proven to be both time consuming and cumbersome on iOS (at least for this noob). Also, setting for apps within that particular app just makes more sense to me ... having to leave an app to change a setting and then having to go back to said app just seems silly.

Anyways, that's all ... just felt the need to share my experience [emoji12] Take it as you may LOL

Last edited:
This certainly didn't deserve it's own thread and I didn't know where to post it, so I thought I'd share it with my friends of this thread [emoji6] It's off topic, so I apologize ...

Curiosity got the better of me and I purchased a Google Pixel XL from my local Best Buy. Been having Android withdrawals, I have to admit. My thoughts were - if I like it sell my iP7+ on Swappa and keep the Pixel XL and chalk up this dabbling with iOS as a failed experiment, if I don't like it, return and pay BB's $35 restocking fee and "rent" the phone for a few days. Well, got home last night and set it up and man, am I very underwhelmed!

First it doesn't feel premium IMO, not sure if it's because I'm coming from the iP7+ by way of the S7 Edge (both super premium feeling phones IMO), but it just lacks that premium build quality feeling.

Second the camera - by the time I got home it was getting dark, so I played outside with some dusk shots and inside with not so pleasant lighting conditions and 9 times out of 10 the iPhone 7+ pictures looked better to me (IMO I don't think neither phone can touch the S7 Edge low light pics).

Third - the speaker ... just plain TERRIBLE! Obviously no comparison to the dual setup on the iP7+ but pretty certain the S7 Edge was a touch louder and clearer (don't have the S7E anymore to do a side-by-side).

Finally the software - and this may be a combination of spending a long period of time on the S7 Edge followed by the iP7+, but it just felt ... blah. Which is hard to say coming from a guy that loved the "Vanilla" Android experience; there's just no real "wow" factor IMO. Perhaps seeing how Samsung got their feature-rich OS tweaks running smoothly as they did with the S7/S7 Edge spoiled me or perhaps it's because I opt not to root/ROM my Vanilla devices any more, but for the first several hours of playing with the Pixel I couldn't help but think to myself, "this is it?!".

Not trying to completely bash the device as it's certainly very fast and fluid, but I do think Google is out of their mind with the price point! This phone should be $400/$500 TOPS , not $800 ( and that's the 32GB XL variant no less! Tack on another $100 for the 128GB [emoji849]).

That all being said, there are still somethings I miss about Android... mostly the ease of getting what I want where I want and getting the files I need/want on it with ease. Had all my custom ringtones and notification sounds downloaded from Google Drive to the device and assigned to their respective contact/app in about 10-15 minutes. A feat that's proven to be time consuming and cumbersome on iOS (at least for this noob). Also, setting for apps within that particular app just makes more sense to me ... having to leave an app to change a setting and then having to go back to said app just seems silly.

Anyways, that's all ... just felt the need to share my experience [emoji12] Take it as you may LOL
That's crazy--I went to bed last night thinking about getting a Pixel XL. Thanks for the review and info. Honestly, the only thing you mention that would possibly bother me would be the last point about the software but I could probably live with blah. I'll see how the next couple days go.

That's crazy--I went to bed last night thinking about getting a Pixel XL. Thanks for the review and info. Honestly, the only thing you mention that would possibly bother me would be the last point about the software but I could probably live with blah. I'll see how the next couple days go.

Honestly, I would say if you were to go back to Android go with the S7 or S7 Edge ... in regards to the "bang for your buck" factor the Pixel XL just cannot compete IMO! Not sure if you're in the states, but Best Buy has the unlocked S7 on sale for $550 and the unlocked S7 Edge on sale for $660. Those devices at those prices, in my opinion, are the best Android options.

With that being said though, I would highly recommend giving iOS a good little while. It's a culture shock for sure, especially coming from years of Android use, but once you get used to it you may find things that are really good. For instance the lack of a back button was a big issue for me ... but after adjusting to swiping the screen from left to right to go back within apps I actually prefer it. I found myself quite often trying to do that while playing with the Pixel XL ... I find the screen swipe for going back is a lot more intuitive than reaching down to the bottom for a back button. Also the reachability feature is really handy with a big screened device; 3D touch for app shortcuts is awesome (and Google's implementation of it on the Pixel is nowhere near as useful and lacking across several apps (of course this is a new feature of 7.0, so it'll take awhile for app developers to catch up)).

There's obviously pros and cons with both OS's but, for me personally, I was pleasantly surprised by the iPhone 7 Plus and iOS! It was somewhat easy for me and I actually enjoy the challenge of not knowing how to do certain things and having to figure stuff out. Sometimes I am disappointed to find out what I want to do cannot be achieved but that hasn't happened all that often and when it does there is usually a work around (sometimes said work around is "clunky" and requires more steps, but I usually find a way to do what I'm aiming for).

Anyways, I have found that this forum is filled with awesome, friendly and knowledgeable people so do not hesitate to ask away!

@YankInDaSouth thanks man for sharing here as I'm sure it will help others ...we've gone though our fair share of phones my friend haha .. and will continue to test and experiment. I think you hit it spot on I've played with the Pixel a few times now I just don't get the wow personally...Google software is it's biggest selling point IMO but it's not ready for price point with the Sammy and Apple of the world ...it's HTC made and I personally like more features that the HTC 10 has which I don't understand why they left some out ...anyway back on topic you folks looking to come over will be surprised you can enjoy iOS and we are here for you to help anyway we can ...

@YankInDaSouth thanks man for sharing here as I'm sure it will help others ...we've gone though our fair share of phones my friend haha .. and will continue to test and experiment. I think you hit it spot on I've played with the Pixel a few times now I just don't get the wow personally...Google software is it's biggest selling point IMO but it's not ready for price point with the Sammy and Apple of the world ...it's HTC made and I personally like more features that the HTC 10 has which I don't understand why they left some out ...anyway back on topic you folks looking to come over will be surprised you can enjoy iOS and we are here for you to help anyway we can ...

Yes, we certainly have burned through some devices my friend :D Again, not trying to bash Google, but my Pixel experiment has simply confirmed that my switch to iOS was pretty well timed ... if this is the best they have to offer at such an exorbitant price tag then they need to look at the competition and reevaluate their software and hardware IMO. They put themselves in the Apple/Samsung bracket but have yet to prove themselves worthy.

Well I went to the AT&T store this morning and they got me up and running. Then IT got me dialed-in on my Exchange (work) email account. So everything is working now. And I must say I am happy with this phone after one day. Change is tough but weighing everything this seems like a good fit. Still need to figure-out some navigation but I'm happy I spent some time here on this forum doing some homework before I got it. It's not that bad. There's a reason Apple sells five gazillion of these with every new release.

Well I went to the AT&T store this morning and they got me up and running. Then IT got me dialed-in on my Exchange (work) email account. So everything is working now. And I must say I am happy with this phone after one day. Change is tough but weighing everything this seems like a good fit. Still need to figure-out some navigation but I'm happy I spent some time here on this forum doing some homework before I got it. It's not that bad. There's a reason Apple sells five gazillion of these with every new release.

Awesome!! Glad to hear you're liking it a bit better!

I watched this video and found it helpful:

iPhone 7 – Complete Beginners Guide - YouTube

After my initial thoughts and somewhat negative post I thought I'd let everyone know what I think of this phone after using it for a week.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

As I said before, I had been an Android guy for quite a while and actually was opposed to Apple products for some reason. No logical explanation as I had the original Mac back in the late '80's (which got the "Big Mac Upgrade" to something like 212 kb Lol). Only reason I can come up with me being opposed to Apple products was price--they always seem to be more expensive. There's a saying, though "It's more expensive because it's worth it."

After using this phone for a week it has been as easy as I could have ever imagined to get used to and navigate. I use the double tap on the home button to toggle between apps quite a bit. I was on the road all day yesterday using GPS (screen was always on), calling, surfing, streaming, etc... and only late in the day did the phone hit 20% battery left--it was never plugged-in. I put it on 1.0 amp charge and in about an hour and a half was at 70%. The initial slow process speed is gone (maybe it was processing other info) and now this phone is instant.

One weird thing that happens is when sync'd to my truck and I get a call, I have to pickup the phone and talk into it as for some reason the microphone and speakers are not going through the truck. It did this the first time I sync'd it to the truck and I asked for help (hadn't left the AT&T parking lot). Help re-sync'd it and it worked through the truck but then it stopped. I'm perplexed on this. My wife and kids iphones are all sync'd to my truck (older IOS though) and I've had other phones sync'd to it without this problem.

I would highly recommend this phone. Thanks guys and gals!

Craig

After my initial thoughts and somewhat negative post I thought I'd let everyone know what I think of this phone after using it for a week.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

As I said before, I had been an Android guy for quite a while and actually was opposed to Apple products for some reason. No logical explanation as I had the original Mac back in the late '80's (which got the "Big Mac Upgrade" to something like 212 kb Lol). Only reason I can come up with me being opposed to Apple products was price--they always seem to be more expensive. There's a saying, though "It's more expensive because it's worth it."

After using this phone for a week it has been as easy as I could have ever imagined to get used to and navigate. I use the double tap on the home button to toggle between apps quite a bit. I was on the road all day yesterday using GPS (screen was always on), calling, surfing, streaming, etc... and only late in the day did the phone hit 20% battery left--it was never plugged-in. I put it on 1.0 amp charge and in about an hour and a half was at 70%. The initial slow process speed is gone (maybe it was processing other info) and now this phone is instant.

One weird thing that happens is when sync'd to my truck and I get a call, I have to pickup the phone and talk into it as for some reason the microphone and speakers are not going through the truck. It did this the first time I sync'd it to the truck and I asked for help (hadn't left the AT&T parking lot). Help re-sync'd it and it worked through the truck but then it stopped. I'm perplexed on this. My wife and kids iphones are all sync'd to my truck (older IOS though) and I've had other phones sync'd to it without this problem.

Craig
Good to hear you're happy with it.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Craig
I'm glad you're enyoying your new iPhone. If you have any other questions or problems, don't hesitate to come back.

Try this: 1st, make sure your iPhone Bluetooth is paired with your vehicle, it might need repairing. That happened to me after a friend tried to charge he iPhone in the main port rather than the auxiliary port on my car. Simply plugging my iPhone in the main port didn't revert things, it needed to be re-paired again thru my vehicle Bluetooth settings, not the iPhone settings.
2nd, if this fails to rectify your answer issue, check under Accesability, there is a Call Audio Routing setting there, perhaps that needs to be reset.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Craig

Awesome.