What's new

New guy, new (to me) iPhone...NEED HELP, please!

I've got 7 available SHSH's according to TU...3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0,4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1, & 5.1.
It's my understanding, since my phone has 4.3.3, that I need to create a blob of it since it's the newest non-tethered of the group of 7?

JGKC9AYC said:
I've got 7 available SHSH's according to TU...3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0,4.0.1, 4.1, 4.2.1, & 5.1.
It's my understanding, since my phone has 4.3.3, that I need to create a blob of it since it's the newest non-tethered of the group of 7?

Well yes I suppose. The correct term in "untethered". Same thing tho. Sorry.lol. I can't help my self.

But any way, to save your 4.3.3 blobs you need to download iFaith 1.4.2 from here: ih8sn0w.com

Save the iFaith.exe your desktop.

Open it.

Plug in device, and **** it off.

In iFaith click on "Dump SHSH Blobs"

Be sure to click "No" when it ask if your dumping blobs for an Apple TV.

Once you there, click start and follow instructions exactly.

Once it is done it will ask you where you want to save the blobs. Choose a place easy to find.

After that you would download the 4.3.3 IPSW (for your device model) and save thy to your desktop.

Then open iFaith, click on "Build signed IPSW w/ Blobs". Then find and select your IPSW and SHSH blobs, and iFaith will build a self-signed IPSW.

Must enter PWNED DFU with iREB (located in iFaith) before restoring to any custom IPSW.

OK. I guess I got that done.
I did everything but do a restore.
Now, my next question is that since my phone was jailbroken when I did this, when I do a restore is it going to be a factory restore w/4.3.3 or will it be a restore to a jailbroken iPhone?
Since i'm wanting to unlock, would it be best to do a restore so I can unlock it?
From what i've read, I need to upgrade the baseband, then downgrade?

Now, my next question is that since my phone was jailbroken when I did this, when I do a restore is it going to be a factory restore w/4.3.3 or will it be a restore to a jailbroken iPhone?
Since i'm wanting to unlock, would it be best to do a restore so I can unlock it?

No, you cannot downgrade baseband once it has been upgraded. Also, if you do a factory restore, it will restore 5.1, you can only restore an older firmware if you have the SHSH saved for that firmware. And no, it will not be jailbroken when you restore, you will have to rejailbreak unless you restore an older custom firmware that is pre-jailbroken(but again, you can only do that if you have the SHSH saved for that firmware).

JGKC9AYC said:

Ooooh....

I'm sorry mate. Unlocking is not my forte. I truly do not know.

I do know that using the iFaith IPSW will "not" update your baseband.

And the iFaith IPSW also, will restore to stock 4.3.3.

An alternative would be to use Sn0wbreeze 2.9.3

It does the same thing iFaith does with stitching the blobs into the IPSW (as long as you choose "iFaith Mode"). And your device will be jailbroken after restore.

Sn0wbreeze also has an option in the "Unlock" tab to unlock the phone....but like I said I truly do not know about that, and an option to "hactivate" the phone. It too (like all of iH8sn0w's tools) will not upgrade your baseband.

I would download Sn0wbreeze and use that instead of iFaith...since you will be wanting an unlock, and your device will be jailbroken during the restore.

I would check out what your baseband is, and see if it an be unllocked on 4.3.3...which I think it can.

I think the "upgrade then downgrade baseband" thing you are talking about only applies to iOS 5.....not iOS 4.

But do not quote me on that. Like i said,...unlocking is not my thing. I have a CDMA iPhone. I'm sorry mate.

Battery
Animation
iCloud (if you know what to do.lol)
Jailbreak
What you can do with notification center after a jailbreak is pretty much endless.

That is all I could think within a 2 seconds thought. To go to 4.3x simply because of jailbreakme.com is just foolish.

Your missing out in, iMessage and iCloud.

Wifi sync was probably the worst idea ever invented.....but besides that iOS 5 is awesome.

I truly find it astonishing that all you see in iOS 5 is "wifi sync and notification center"
Seriously? Wifi sync and notification center? That is "all that's new with iOS 5" that you noticed.

And I thought i was stubborn when I came to giving up iOS 4.lol

And I was stubborn......till I woke up.

I didn't say he should go to 4.3.3 to use jailbreak me.com. I have never used it. I said that if he was unable to update to 5.01 due to not having blobs, it wouldn't be so bad to be stuck on 4.3.3
Yes you can modify notification centre but it still doesn't offer anything useful that SBSettings or Lockinfo does better.
Three of the things you mention:
Jailbreak
Battery
Animation,
Well, youre right. I have no idea what you mean by these.

I admit I don't use iCloud much, I should probably learn more about it, I'm a bit of a luddite about cloud storage; I like to have all my stuff on my own computer where I can touch it:) I believe there are many third party cloud services you can use if you didn't have it tho.

iMessage is cool; however I get 5000 free texts a month with my contract so don't really need it. I believe biteSMS offers something similar to iMessage; obviously it only works between jailbreakers.

You didn't mention that native tethering is much improved on 5. We now have personal wifi hotspot. There were already a number of jailbreak tweaks for this already tho.

The camera app is slightly improved, there are millions of camera apps tho. Camera+ is one.

Oh and let's not forget the Newsstand! I personally run "NoNews is good News" as I don't want to pay ridiculous prices for online magazines.

I have to admit Reminders is useful, I use it a lot. But thats mostly because I have Spire installed with a proxy, and Reminders works with it better than Calender. Before ios5 I just used to use Calender. Not sure we needed a sepereeate app.

I just think that once again apple have stolen some ideas from jailbreakers but failed to implement them as well as they could have. The notification centre could be a lot more functional and useful. I think we can all agree that wifi sync is pointless.
I think it's more likely that the OP will be frustrated by the number of new AppStore apps that aren't backwards compatible. When I was waiting for 5.01 untether on 4.2.1 it used to drive me mad "this app requires 4.3.3 or higher"

No, you cannot downgrade baseband once it has been upgraded. Also, if you do a factory restore, it will restore 5.1, you can only restore an older firmware if you have the SHSH saved for that firmware. And no, it will not be jailbroken when you restore, you will have to rejailbreak unless you restore an older custom firmware that is pre-jailbroken(but again, you can only do that if you have the SHSH saved for that firmware).

Since I downloaded a stock 4.3.3 firmware from here, it's going to be a stock 4.3.3 when I restore, yes?
So if I download Sn0wbreeze I can jailbreak it & unlock it both?

JGKC9AYC said:
Since I downloaded a stock 4.3.3 firmware from here, it's going to be a stock 4.3.3 when I restore, yes?
So if I download Sn0wbreeze I can jailbreak it & unlock it both?

Yes. ...........

JGKC9AYC said:
Yes to both questions? :)

Both.

But like I said...check your baseband. Settings> General> About> Modem Firmware.

But yes....in Sn0wbreeze be sure to choose iFaith Mode and select your 4.3.3 blobs.

After choosing iFaith Mode, click the General tab, and check "Activate iPhone (Hactivate)".

Then click next until you can get the the "Unlocks" tab. Configure as it looks.

I have no idea how to use it, but it should be self explanatory.

Like I said....this will not update your baseband...so if the unlock/activation does not work, you can still upgrade you baseband if you really need to.

That is what is so great about iH8sn0w's tools. They will not update your baseband.

Once you baseband is updated it cannot be downgraded. So the BB preservation is a good thing.

I successfully restored my device that has the 4.3.3 OS (or whatever you call it).
I downloaded Sn0wbreeze & was preparing to jailbreak it. It showed the devices it would jailbreak & prompted me as to whether my device was the old bootrom or not. I had it check & found out that my device (& my other 3GS running 5.0.1) were both the old bootroms.
Is that a good thing?

Yes, that means you can go ahead and update to 5.1 since you will always have an untethered jailbreak.

Would upgrading to 5.1 on a 3GS be anything like upgrading to Windows 7 on a 386 machine with 1GB of ram? :)

JGKC9AYC said:
Would upgrading to 5.1 on a 3GS be anything like upgrading to Windows 7 on a 386 machine with 1GB of ram? :)

No. Jut make the 5.1 custom IPSW

Enter PWNED DFU mode with iREB(located within Sn0wbreeze).

After you have successfully entered PWNED DFU, then open iTunes.

Then hold down the shift key on your keyboard while you click the restore button in iTunes.

Locate and double click on the Sn0wbreeze IPSW located on your desktop in the pop up window.

Let iTunes do the rest.

After restore you device will already be jailbroken. I recommend you do all your iTunes syncing before opening Cydia.

Once Cydia opens, make sure to let it load "completely" before you can do anything.

Install "Mobile Substrate" first thing. There is a search function.

OK...new problem (I think).
I tried saving the blob from the jailbroke iPhone that has 5.01 on it.
Whe I hooked it up to iFaith & clicked "dump SHSH blobs", I got the message "this idevice has the 24kpwn untether applied! since the 24kpwn untether is applied to your device* no shsh blobs are on idevice. As long as you restore to custom firmware* no shsh blobs are needed".
Now what?