What's new

New guy, new (to me) iPhone...NEED HELP, please!

JGKC9AYC said:
OK...new problem (I think).
I tried saving the blob from the jailbroke iPhone that has 5.01 on it.
Whe I hooked it up to iFaith & clicked "dump SHSH blobs", I got the message "this idevice has the 24kpwn untether applied! since the 24kpwn untether is applied to your device* no shsh blobs are on idevice. As long as you restore to custom firmware* no shsh blobs are needed".
Now what?

Then make the custom IPSW without SHSH blobs and restore.

Then make the custom IPSW without SHSH blobs and restore.

Searched, but I don't guess I know exactly what to search for and/or what to do since I don't have the shsh blob for this particular phone.

JGKC9AYC said:
Searched, but I don't guess I know exactly what to search for and/or what to do since I don't have the shsh blob for this particular phone.

You just make a custom IPSW without SHSHS blobs.

Same exact thing you would do with SHSH blobs...except, dont choose "iFaith Mode" in Sn0wbreeze.

Using SHSH blobs with iFaith Mode is an. "option". You don't have to do it.

So what's better...a 4.3.3 w/the old bootrom or a 5.0.1 with the new bootrom?

JGKC9AYC said:

Huh? I kind of have no idea what you are taking about. What do you mean?

JGKC9AYC said:

The bootrom you have is the bootrom you have. Nothing an change that. It does not matter what iOS you have. The bootrom is "physical". Only way to change that would be to literally take the phone apart and swap out the processor.

iPhone OS...which is better...one running 4.3.3 w/the old bootroom or one running 5.0.1 w/the new bootrom?

JGKC9AYC said:
iPhone OS...which is better...one running 4.3.3 w/the old bootroom or one running 5.0.1 w/the new bootrom?

Neither is better then the other.

Bootrom is hardware, it has nothing to do with the OS. In general an old bootrom iPhone3Gs is better than a new bootrom because it is untethered for life.

JGKC9AYC said:

I still have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I need more details to answer the question accurately.

Are you comparing 2 completely different iPhones?

There is only one type of iPhone that has what is called "new bootrom". That phone is the iPhone 3GS.

This question does not apply to any other iPhone model.

Which is better????? Neither is better. Old bootrom iPhone 3GS can alway have an untethered jailbreak with every new iOS...but that is it.

What is this question in reference to????????

The question makes no sense.

I still have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. I need more details to answer the question accurately.

Are you comparing 2 completely different iPhones?

There is only one type of iPhone that has what is called "new bootrom". That phone is the iPhone 3GS.

This question does not apply to any other iPhone model.

Which is better????? Neither is better. Old bootrom iPhone 3GS can alway have an untethered jailbreak with every new iOS...but that is it.

What is this question in reference to????????

The question makes no sense.

I've got 2 3GS's...one had iOS 4.3.3 & the old bootrom. The other has iOS 5.0.1 & the new bootrom.
I just didn't know if it was better to have the newer OS & bootrom or the older OS & the old bootrom as far as customization (themes, apps, etc.) goes.
One of these phones will be for me, the other will go to the kid.
Make sense?

Once an iPhone is jailbroken, they all act the exact same way. Whether the phone has the old bootrom or the new bootrom doesn't matter, you will be able to customize both of them in the exact same way. The good thing about your 3Gs with the old bootrom is that you can update to 5.1 right now and still have an untethered jailbreak