What's new

New guy, new (to me) iPhone...NEED HELP, please!

OK...let me get this straight.
First I go to JailbreakMe 3.0 to jailbreak the phone.
Second, I download Tiny Umbrella 5.10.10 & hook the phone up & click the "Save SHSH" button.
Third, I hope that I can upgrade to 5.0.1?
What exactly is "Sn0wbreeze"?

JGKC9AYC said:
OK...let me get this straight.
First I go to JailbreakMe 3.0 to jailbreak the phone.
Second, I download Tiny Umbrella 5.10.10 & hook the phone up & click the "Save SHSH" button.
Third, I hope that I can upgrade to 5.0.1?
What exactly is "Sn0wbreeze"?

Yep. Why not? Installing Cydia will cause no problems.

Is it normal, after going to jailbreakme.com & clicking the install button, for the phone to lock up & the display go black?
I can't even power it off!!

Last edited:
OK. I did that & after rebooting I see the Cydia icon on the screen.
Now what? :) Hooking it up to Tiny Umbrella?

*EDIT* I hooked it up to Tiny Umbrella, but it won't detect the phone.

*EDIT #2* I found out I had to have Tiny Umbrella in a folder with SQLITE3. I did that & now it recognizes the phone. I clicked the "save shsh" button & it shows 2 saved SHSH's for my phone...4.1 & 5.1. If it matters, my baseband is 05.16.02, according to Tiny Umbrella. Now what?

Last edited:
Code:
LOL.............ya have actually "use" the iOS before saying that. iOS 5 is the "best" iOS Apple has made so far. Plain and simple.
I've been on 5.0.1 since the untethered JB came out. I agree that it's probably best so far... Just saying that if you had to stay on 4.3.3 you wouldn't be missing a great deal. Wifi syncing is a bit of a gimmick particularly as you have to have your phone connected to a power source. The notification centre doesn't really do much. I don't know.... I just can't think of anything new that's really caught my attention.

Hungryghost said:
I've been on 5.0.1 since the untethered JB came out. I agree that it's probably best so far... Just saying that if you had to stay on 4.3.3 you wouldn't be missing a great deal. Wifi syncing is a bit of a gimmick particularly as you have to have your phone connected to a power source. The notification centre doesn't really do much. I don't know.... I just can't think of anything new that's really caught my attention.

Battery
Animation
iCloud (if you know what to do.lol)
Jailbreak
What you can do with notification center after a jailbreak is pretty much endless.

That is all I could think within a 2 seconds thought. To go to 4.3x simply because of jailbreakme.com is just foolish.

Your missing out in, iMessage and iCloud.

Wifi sync was probably the worst idea ever invented.....but besides that iOS 5 is awesome.

I truly find it astonishing that all you see in iOS 5 is "wifi sync and notification center"

Seriously? Wifi sync and notification center? That is "all that's new with iOS 5" that you noticed.

And I thought i was stubborn when I came to giving up iOS 4.lol

And I was stubborn......till I woke up.

So like I said earlier, when I connected to TU, my saved SHSHs was 4.1 & 5.1. I'm assuming that's the OS's?
Is there any way at all I can upgrade to 5.01?
I have another iPhone that's been jailbroken & using 5.01. Is there a way I can get 5.01 that way?
I don't guess I understand this "tether" & "untethered" thing, either.

JGKC9AYC said:
So like I said earlier, when I connected to TU, my saved SHSHs was 4.1 & 5.1. I'm assuming that's the OS's?
Is there any way at all I can upgrade to 5.01?
I have another iPhone that's been jailbroken & using 5.01. Is there a way I can get 5.01 that way?
I don't guess I understand this "tether" & "untethered" thing, either.

If Tiny Umbrella only has SHSH for 4.1 and 5.1 then those are the only iOS versions you can restore to.

You cannot use the SHSH blobs from another device. Each SHSH blob is specific to each device. the other iPhone on 5.0.1 is of no use in that category.

A tethered jailbreak is (now in iOS 5) really a semi-tethered jailbreak. But lets just call it a tethered jailbreak....k? they are the same thing in iOS 5. iOS 4 is a different story,.....but lets forget about iOS 4.

Tethered jailbreak:
once the device is jailbroken for the first time you must boot the device again with the tool you jailbroke with to get Cydia to work.

If you perform a normal reboot the device will reboot into a "none-jailbroken" state. This means everything works except Cydia, and anything installed from Cydia. Also Safari does not work in this state either, but there is a fix for that besides using a different browser.

The only way to get the phone back into its normal jailbroken state is to boot "tethered". This comes from the fact that you have to "tether" your device to your computer, hence the term "tethered jailbreak".

There are 2 ways to boot tethered and it depends on which tool you used to jailbreak with.

If you jailbroke with redsn0w, you will just plug in your phone, open redsn0w, put your device in DFU mode, then click the "Just boot" button in redsn0w and your device will boot into it fully functional state.
If you tether jailbroke with a tool called Sn0wbreeze, you would have to launch an application call iBooty, and do pretty much the same thing you would do in redsn0w.

iBooty will boot your tether jailbroken phone twice as fast as redsn0w....but I don't recommend using iBooty if you jailbroke with redsn0w or vice versa.

Untethered jailbreak:
Quite the opposite of what I wrote above.

Once device is jailbroken for the first time......you have nothing to worry about. You do not need to plug your phone in and tether boot it with the tool you used to jailbreak with. You can reboot your device just like you would normally. End of story.

;)

If Tiny Umbrella only has SHSH for 4.1 and 5.1 then those are the only iOS versions you can restore to.

You cannot use the SHSH blobs from another device. Each SHSH blob is specific to each device. the other iPhone on 5.0.1 is of no use in that category.

A tethered jailbreak is (now in iOS 5) really a semi-tethered jailbreak. But lets just call it a tethered jailbreak....k? they are the same thing in iOS 5. iOS 4 is a different story,.....but lets forget about iOS 4.

Tethered jailbreak:
once the device is jailbroken for the first time you must boot the device again with the tool you jailbroke with to get Cydia to work.

If you perform a normal reboot the device will reboot into a "none-jailbroken" state. This means everything works except Cydia, and anything installed from Cydia. Also Safari does not work in this state either, but there is a fix for that besides using a different browser.

The only way to get the phone back into its normal jailbroken state is to boot "tethered". This comes from the fact that you have to "tether" your device to your computer, hence the term "tethered jailbreak".

There are 2 ways to boot tethered and it depends on which tool you used to jailbreak with.

If you jailbroke with redsn0w, you will just plug in your phone, open redsn0w, put your device in DFU mode, then click the "Just boot" button in redsn0w and your device will boot into it fully functional state.
If you tether jailbroke with a tool called Sn0wbreeze, you would have to launch an application call iBooty, and do pretty much the same thing you would do in redsn0w.

iBooty will boot your tether jailbroken phone twice as fast as redsn0w....but I don't recommend using iBooty if you jailbroke with redsn0w or vice versa.

Untethered jailbreak:
Quite the opposite of what I wrote above.

Once device is jailbroken for the first time......you have nothing to worry about. You do not need to plug your phone in and tether boot it with the tool you used to jailbreak with. You can reboot your device just like you would normally. End of story.

;)

It sounds like, then, i'm stuck at 4.1 if I want to stay untethered, yes?
Since i'm at 4.3.3, if something happens & I need to do a restore, would I be stuck at 4.1?
Also, GPS is important to me. I don't want to do anything that'll disable it.

Last edited:
JGKC9AYC said:
It sounds like, then, i'm stuck at 4.1 if I want to stay untethered, yes?
Since i'm at 4.3.3, if something happens & I need to do a restore, would I be stuck at 4.1?
Also, GPS is important to me. I don't want to do anything that'll disable it.

Um.....why would you be stuck on 4.1

You can still save 4.3.3 blobs with iFaith. Build a signed IPSW that you can always restore to because your blobs are stitched to the IPSW it modified.

Did you even check to see what SHSH you have?

Um.....why would you be stuck on 4.1

You can still save 4.3.3 blobs with iFaith. Build a signed IPSW that you can always restore to because your blobs are stitched to the IPSW it modified.

Did you even check to see what SHSH you have?

I did a "request shsh" from cydia but the highest before 5.1 was 4.2.x.
I think I really need to un-jailbreak & start all over again and go a different route so I can unlock it as well.
There baseband is 05.16.02.

If you ain't already figured it out, I ain't the sharpest tack in the box.

JGKC9AYC said:
If you ain't already figured it out, I ain't the sharpest tack in the box.

Yeah...what PoisonIvy said......we all are learning from each other.

Sooner or later...you'll be the one helping people;)