What's new

MacBook Air 2017

dave307

Reaction score
I have had the above for a while. Still learning.
I'm looking for some advice on documents saving to the cloud etc.
As per image I have been saving all my documents into the David Williams document folder but they don't seem to be showing up in the iCloud. Am I doing that correct or should I be saving all my documents in the Documents folder under the iCloud section?.Hope you understand my question I enclose a screen shot but don't know how to edit the screenshot as to point an arrow to items in my posting.
Many Thanks.
David.
ps how do I edit the screen shot do I need some small software?.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 16.20.29.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-15 at 16.20.29.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 585
When you opt to synch your Documents and Desktop in iCloud, they move from your Home Folder (Dave Williams) and appear under iCloud Drive, so yes, you should be saving your Documents there.

Caroline Many thanks.
Can you please confirm that I should be saving my documents in the David Williams folder?.And they will sync to the cloud.
David.

No, you need to save them to the iCloud Drive Documents folder.

Caroline That was quick. Got it now that has been bothering my brain for a while. So what's the point of having the DHWilliams folder.
Big Thanks.
David.I'm in your debt.:)

David, You’re very welcome! You can always hide the Home Folder, so that it doesn’t appear in the Sidebar. Best wishes, Caroline

Caroline. Very sorry in getting back to you on my post Got it all sorted out now all on the cloud.
Regarding all the documents that I had under DHWilliams I have now copied them over to the cloud documents. So am I correct in deleting all the items that I had In the DHW folder.as they are all in the cloud documents.
Many thanks.
David.:)

Dave,
Caroline. Very sorry in getting back to you on my post Got it all sorted out now all on the cloud.
Regarding all the documents that I had under DHWilliams I have now copied them over to the cloud documents. So am I correct in deleting all the items that I had In the DHW folder.as they are all in the cloud documents.
Many thanks.
David.:)

Dave, Your DHW folder contains more than just Documents, so take care here. Even if your Documents are synced in iCloud, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to keep local copies, so I would be inclined not to delete them. Hope that helps, best wishes, Caroline

Yea. Thanks. Been reading about some say good and others say no.
Two point that I'm thinking of does it backup the items that are on the cloud and does it take up a lot of storage on the MacBook hdd.I know that the backup will be on an external drive, Mainly concerned about the icloud backup.
Thanks.

You can see what’s included in a Time Machine backup, and exclude certain files.
Go to System Preferences - Time Machine - Options - the + button. Select the files that shouldn’t be included in a backup, and click Exclude.

Okay. Just one final point.
Does the TimeMachine take up space on the MacBook drive, Or does everything in the backup go on to the external drive?
Many thanks.
David.