What's new

iPhone slowdown

When does the battery condition warrant throttling? Surely not at greater than 80% capacity...
Unless someone is able to look deep into the iOS code and discover the coding for CPU throttling, we'll probably never know the exact point at which the throttling kicks in.

There are Geekbench 4 screenshots showing the 6S (normally at a CPU score of 2500 +/- a tight band showing up to six slower nodes. I'm guessing it throttles at different rates for differing battery healths.

So if a person bought a new car every two years and the manufacturer sets the software to throttle its performance after 80% ownership, most should be OK with that? [emoji57]

I got my 6S Plus the first day they were available.

IMG_1513986438.326077.jpg

IMG_1513986449.698123.jpg

It is still running at 100% CPU, my battery (with many days of 2 full charges per day from 12 -20 % and at least one full charge per day) is doing fine. It isn't every phone out there.

I got my 6S Plus the first day they were available.

View attachment 38401
View attachment 38402

It is still running at 100% CPU, my battery (with many days of 2 full charges per day from 12 -20 % and at least one full charge per day) is doing fine. It isn't every phone out there.

No, it's not every phone. Only those with terribly degraded batteries. Those that would shut off at 40%, for example. Apple wants you to use your iPhone as long as you need to, without it shutting down constantly. I too still use my 6s Plus I got September 25, 2015. I'm a very heavy user and don't notice any slowdown at all.
I think Apple not saying that CPU was occasionally reduced was the right choice. The vast, vast, vast majority of people cannot understand the nuances of how these devices work and wouldn't have been able to understand that the CPU doesn't run at full speed most of the time anyway. Clearly, from the reaction to this story, people still don't understand this.

No, it's not every phone. Only those with terribly degraded batteries. Those that would shut off at 40%, for example. Apple wants you to use your iPhone as long as you need to, without it shutting down constantly. I too still use my 6s Plus I got September 25, 2015. I'm a very heavy user and don't notice any slowdown at all.
I think Apple not saying that CPU was occasionally reduced was the right choice. The vast, vast, vast majority of people cannot understand the nuances of how these devices work and wouldn't have been able to understand that the CPU doesn't run at full speed most of the time anyway. Clearly, from the reaction to this story, people still don't understand this.
The class action lawsuit that was just launched against Apple is perfect evidence of this.

I have to point out that last year the iPhone 6S and 6S Plus were still within the warranty period and deserved new batteries from Apple - not a software patch to slow down the phone. Same with the new update that just added the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus to the throttling.

This is a Bad Apple!

iPhone 7/Pluses batteries haven’t degraded enough to have a throttled phone....

I don’t see any throttling on my 15 month old iPhone 7 that I use everyday and several days each week I must charge extra during the day.
That’s because I use a bit to much on video and surfing the web.
I feel that people has mass hysteria over something I think Apple did a good job to solve so if your battery is turning bad you still can use your phone.
Instead of it shutting of all the time.
Maybe my phone is a good one that is not affected by throttling.
Sad that so many listens to this instead of trying to find out what it does to their phones and give numbers on how much they slowed down if anything.
IMG_9425.JPG

I don’t see any throttling on my 15 month old iPhone 7 that I use everyday and several days each week I must charge extra during the day.
That’s because I use a bit to much on video and surfing the web.
I feel that people has mass hysteria over something I think Apple did a good job to solve so if your battery is turning bad you still can use your phone.
Instead of it shutting of all the time.
Maybe my phone is a good one that is not affected by throttling.
Sad that so many listens to this instead of trying to find out what it does to their phones and give numbers on how much they slowed down if anything.
View attachment 38419
The slowdown doesn't happen if your iPhone has a battery in good condition and will stop if you replace a worn out battery.

I know that but it seems like most of these who write about think that this happens when the new phones comes out and the phone they own is one year old.
We don’t see any slowdown on our 5S and 6 and 7.
All on original battery and heavily used all of them.
Feels mostly like people imagine things because they read about this.
Hopefully it quits down soon.
Happy Christmas everyone.

I know that but it seems like most of these who write about think that this happens when the new phones comes out and the phone they own is one year old.
We don’t see any slowdown on our 5S and 6 and 7.
All on original battery and heavily used all of them.
Feels mostly like people imagine things because they read about this.
Hopefully it quits down soon.
Happy Christmas everyone.
It all depends on how heavily the battery is used. It's not so much the hours of use but how hard the iPhone is working during those hours.

Now that you mention it I've noticed a slow down with all my phones... It happens right around the time a new phone is announced... Usually every year [emoji16]

I would assume that any new iOS releases which usually follow the release of a new iPhone (please note) would automatically be optimised first and foremost towards the advanced technology of the latest iPhone. Then there’s tweaking of the iOS updates to ensure the older devices can also take advantage of the latest iOS release and gain added functionality wherever possible.

This has ALWAYS been my experience.

My 128GB 6s Plus is now over 2 years old, and apart from a fudged iOS update recently that made the battery drain very quickly (a remedial update was promptly released by Apple to resolve the issue), my iPhone runs as fast as the day I bought it - and has MORE functionality than when I first took delivery of it.

I totally understand what Apple are doing and both applaud and commend them for doing so from a purely engineering point of view.

Apart from my iPhone 3GS 32GB which my daughter accidentally, irretrievably smashed to bits [emoji22], every iPhone I ever purchased for the family is still fully operational. That includes an iPhone 4S 16GB and an iPhone 5 64GB. The latter phones developed issues with dying batteries and were turning themselves off.

An independent mobile repairs outfit in the UK (Lovefone) replaced both batteries and both devices were restored to full functionality for their era. No lagging, no slow running, long battery operation no more unexpected shutdowns.

The 4S went to a relative in Russia, she’s very pleased with it. We refurbished that battery for £35 all in.

Yes, the Apple haters and conspiracy theorists are having a field day blowing this revelation wildly out of proportion, but this is also being used as an excuse to mask the stupidity of people who shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near an iPhone or indeed any mobile technology in the first place.

We live in a world where people no longer realise how sophisticated THAT iPhone they hold in their hand really is. The technology is literally taken for granted. The engineering behind it totally ignored - with often no curiosity whatsoever into what they’re really holding. As long as it links to social media like Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook.....that’s all they want......but I digress;

I am talking about iPhone owners who went out and bought one without doing their homework properly. Those who rushed out and bought the cheapest 16GB device and then complain bitterly when it suddenly slows down, keeps crashing or becomes unusable - NOT because Apple killed it with updates, but because you CANNOT realistically buy an 8GB or 16GB device, and expect to shoot countless videos, download as many via WhatsApp, use Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and a host of other social media apps all on just a 16GB device of which 12GB is actually available to the user!!! [emoji35]

A 32GB device would have been better. Or 64GB for that matter - or higher. Pricey? Yes! But worth it. If you REALLY want full unimpeded functionality, purchase an iPhone with lots of storage - and all the the above problems disappear - apart from learning to update it regularly - and backing up your phone too, something else a lot of these people never, ever do.

Yet, these are the same people who invariably turn up at my door, totting their iPhone (usually screen smashed, bits have fallen off, body with dents or cracks, no protective case), complaining that it’s very slow and NOT responding to stimuli.

A quick check usually reveals, it’s run out of storage space completely. And for the same reason, has virtually never been updated. You can see the update icon with its red dot visible.

They may well have 30 apps open at once, they’ve never learned to close apps they’re not using.

Talk to them about backing up the whole device to iCloud and their computer of choice before wiping and restoring their data, and watch their eyes glaze over. You might as well be teaching them advance warp drive calibration theory.

Some don’t even know how to get pictures off their iPhone, can’t work out how to use airdrop.....I rest my case!

The same users NEVER charge their iPhones properly. When they visit you with their problems, the phone invariably has 6% power or less left, and they stare at you expectantly, waiting for you to wave a metaphorical magic wand and fix their iPhone on the spot. In this day and age, these people horrify me [emoji15][emoji849].

I’ve had dead iPads thrust into my hands, the users complaining it’s dead and won’t charge. I plug it in and it only comes to life 15 minutes afterwards, because the battery had been depleted below acceptable levels. I only hand it back after it has had a full charge.

You’d be surprised how many people abuse their batteries in this manner, and then whine incessantly on social media with wildly fluctuating Apple conspiracy theories, when it all goes pear shaped. Pun intended.

You cannot treat a lithium ion battery like that and expect a good long-term performance from it.

I observe so many people treating their devices with such disdain and disrespect, little wonder they run into issues they cannot resolve. Stupidity is definitely incurable.

Running your lithium ion battery into the ground repeatedly will kill it. That has been my observation.

Nobody buys a low powered 3 door hatchback city commuter, then decides to join a NASCAR race, or complain that you can’t get 7 people in there like some SUVs......you don’t book a cheap economy seat on an aircraft and expect 1st class or business class space, comfort and services. You may end up squashed between two bodybuilders dripping in testosterone (no offence to bodybuilders of course).

Anyone buying an iPhone needs to realise they’re buying a pretty sophisticated piece of kit that is capable of some truly amazing things. They need to do their homework before parting with their cash, and they also need to learn to take care of it too, especially if it’s not just for making calls and the odd text message.

Apple do make the odd mistake here and there, but they are not the evil empire the news media and large number of illiterate readers are making them out to be!

Rant over ‍♂️

p.s. Bkdodger - I got carried away, and please be aware this rant is in NO WAY a personal attack upon you. Rather, it’s a direct response to all the anti-apple rubbish I’ve read on non-tech forums.

I’m curious.....my last post was very, very long indeed. I can only see a portion of it right now, but in Edit mode, I can see the whole thing. Can everybody else see the whole post, or just the visible last 33% of it that I’m staring at on here ? (Tapatalk).